ultimate spider-man trailer

Started by deano_ue, March 16, 2012, 11:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

JeyNyce

It looks like they are trying to promote the toy line.

One thing that is starting to annoy me about Spidey cartoon is that they are always doing his year one bit.  He's just starting and he need to learn the ropes.....give it a rest.  Anyway I could all the things wrong with the show, but it would be too much.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Tawodi Osdi

It probably has something to do with the angst factor that seem to be prerequisite in so much modern entertainment.  Angst is a good lowest common denominator when it comes to writing.  Challenging a character with angst is easy.  Being young and inexperienced makes it easy to work in angst.  It's like writers have lost the ability to challenge an experienced and well-balanced character.

I'm writing this late after a hard day of work; so, I am hoping I am being halfway sensible.

Tomato

I... didn't hate it. TUE sent me the link after I'd fallen asleep, and the way he made it sound I was expecting some badly animated show with poor voice acting and a silly gimmick plot. And yes, the plot is a bit gimmicky, but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Remember guys, this is a trailer. Trailers for TV shows are, IMHO, kinda dumb in general. I'm only interested in two things in this: Is the animation decent, and can I stand the voice acting without stabbing a fork in my ears. I tend to block out everything else (the plot, how the show is generally written, etc) because it's a stupid tv trailer and I'll make my decision on those factors when the show comes out.

I'm still kinda iffy on the acting here (Simmons is great as always, but most of the others were largely forgettable) but I thought it had some cool animation overall. I'm excited to see the Iron Spider costume again, though even I hope it's just a one shot thing.

Courtnall6

Wow, that looks terrible. I'll pass.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

BentonGrey

Wow............just..........wow.............for this we lost Spectacular Spider-Man?  Yeah, I know it's not a straight cause and effect thing, but that show was so good, and this is replacing it, at least in a way.
http://youtu.be/2S19w2xXU54
Ohh my goodness, this looks awful.  I mean, I was literally cringing as I watched it.  The animation doesn't look that bad...until they start to throw in those anime troupes.  I can't stand that kind of nonsense.  The gimmicks by themselves are enough to make me avoid this like the plague.

You know what this reminds me of?  That awful Avengers cartoon from the 90's.
http://youtu.be/VLD1yq7eVoY
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oldmanwinters

Well, folks, I kinda hate to say it...

But that trailer does look kinda interesting to me.  It's probably because I'm a big fan of the ol' Teen Titans cartoon and this Spidey seems to be trying to borrow its sense of style.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'll end up liking it, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Marvel is pretty much all-in with their Avengers branding right now, so I guess it makes sense to try to start working Spidey into that world.

Anyhoo... I really wish Spectacular Spider-man wasn't so unceremoniously cancelled a while back.  I need to start tracking down that series on DVD.

Cyber Burn

I'll give a few episodes a try before I make up my mind.

JeyNyce

Quote from: oldmanwinters on March 17, 2012, 06:09:46 PM
Well, folks, I kinda hate to say it...

But that trailer does look kinda interesting to me.  It's probably because I'm a big fan of the ol' Teen Titans cartoon and this Spidey seems to be trying to borrow its sense of style.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'll end up liking it, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Marvel is pretty much all-in with their Avengers branding right now, so I guess it makes sense to try to start working Spidey into that world.

Anyhoo... I really wish Spectacular Spider-man wasn't so unceremoniously cancelled a while back.  I need to start tracking down that series on DVD.

I'm a big fan of the Teen Titans cartoon and that style seems to work with them (A bunch of teen living together) but with Spidey, nah.  It's cute the first couple of times, but it get annoying after a while.  I know they are trying to relate to the younger crowds, but get Peter out of High School and put the boy in college or something.  I guess I'm getting too old for these toons.

Podmark

Certainly not what I was expecting, nor wanted, but I'll give it a chance. I liked Teen Titans for the most part, and as long as the writing is strong this wackier style isn't a game breaker for me. We'll see...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

As I stated above, today I actually watched the first few episodes of the show BEFORE judging it (novel concept around here, I know) and... it was good. Sure it's a bit on the goofy side... but it's a fresh take on the character and I'm cool with that. Plus, it helps that this does include a greater cross-section of the Marvel universe (including Power Man, Iron Fist, Nova, and White Tiger as part of the main cast), instead of another rehashing of Spider-man characters for the twentieth time.

Do I miss Spectacular? Yeah, I do. But this is a decent replacement, all things considered.

Edit: Just looked at the cast list... Clancy Brown as Taskmaster!?! WIN.

Talavar

They aired a few episodes today?  I'm sorry I missed it - misgivings aside, I wanted to at least check it out.  I'll have to try and track them down.

JeyNyce

I saw the first episode and did not like it.  They took the Teen Titans anime style and ran with it, plus he steps out of the show and talk to the audience like she-Hulk used to do in her comics.  Stick with one or the other, don't do both.  The one thing about the show that surprise me the most.........   Aunt May is a hottie!

docdelorean88

Im not crazy about it so far, but... its not horrendous. I dont think its better than Spectacular was. But one thing i thought was interesting, and didnt notice until the second episode, the web pattern doesn't continue down to the sleeves from the shoulders. Interesting.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Previsionary

Quote from: JeyNyce on April 03, 2012, 04:24:45 AM
I saw the first episode and did not like it.  They took the Teen Titans anime style and ran with it, plus he steps out of the show and talk to the audience like she-Hulk used to do in her comics.  Stick with one or the other, don't do both.  The one thing about the show that surprise me the most.........   Aunt May is a hottie!

Having seen the first episode only, I agree with a lot of this. It got really annoying, but I assumed they were going overboard with it because it was the opening and they had a lot they wanted to fit in (y'know, the 700th iteration of Pete's BG). I'll watch ep. 2 later, and I hope as the season progresses, they find their groove. Most of the team behind the show is very good.

It did make me miss Spectacular though. A lot.
Disappear when you least expe--

MJB

Watched the premiere episodes. Ultimate Spider-Man accomplishes what Marvel was setting out to do. Make a Spider-Man cartoon for kids/preteens. I'm not in their demographic so my take on the show really doesn't matter.

My 12 year old liked it though. That matters I guess. :mjb:

JeyNyce

This is not your father's Spider-man.  That is so true.  It's cute and the kids will love it, but it is not for me.  I do like Power Man/ Iron Fist, but not in the same show with Spidey.  If they had their own show I would watch it.

Tomato

Huh. See, I actually enjoyed it more than I've been enjoying Green Lantern... it's not as good as either Avengers (based on last season) or YJ, but it's a unique take and it's something I actually enjoyed (both me and my comic-nerd father, btw). USM promises to be a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to new episodes.

thalaw2

I saw ep.1 and I agree with others who say it's aimed at a younger demographic.  I'm not anxious about the next ep. as I was about Spectacular.  I'll give Ultimate a watch whenever  I have nothing else to do and need a superhero cartoon fix.
革命不会被电视转播

Cyber Burn

It's got Nova, that's got to count for something, right??? I'll keep watching for now.

detourne_me

I'm still a bit up in the air about this show.... at first glance the animation is crap compared to spectacular spider-man. but then you need to realize that this isn't a solo show,  it's a team show like young justice in a way (i've also been catching up on that too...)
Having a day off work and a few liters of beer in me makes these shows pretty enjoyable.
In fact i'm pretty impressed with the new Green Lantern series too.   they are taking these unconventional approaches to the characters we've known for decades. 
Ultimate Spider-Man constantly breaking the fourth wall, it seems like they took the humour from the super hero squad cartoon and refined it to a fine edge, with quick cuts and visual gags like the Teen Titans cartoon. I don't expect much in the way of character development on the show, it looks more like a corporate springboard if you ask me.  but it is an entertaining one. 

JeyNyce

It would have been better if it was the New Warriors instead of Spiderman.  C'mon Speedball would fit in so well.

Cyber Burn

Did I miss something?

Spoiler
What happened to Richard Rider? And who is "Sam"?

Tomato

Googled it... apparently "Sam Alexander" is the newest recruit of the Nova Corps, who recently made his way into the comics with Avengers vs X-men. Both Sam and Ava aka White Tiger (who showed up in Avengers Academy) were created specifically for the show, and were brought into the comics after the fact.

Podmark

Well this is certainly a different take on Spider-Man. I see potential but I'm not sure about it just yet. It's not terribly funny for the style they're going for. The humour does remind of Scrubs though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

A little late, but I really enjoyed seeing Taskmaster.  :thumbup: