Muppet-ification

Started by BentonGrey, February 24, 2012, 05:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy folks, the wife and I just went to see The Muppets at our local dollar theater last night.  We had missed it when it came out, but our friends raved about it to the point we had to check it out.  Surprisingly enough, my friend's enthusastic praise did not do this little flick justice.  Did anybody see this one?  It was a real blast!  I loved the Muppet Show as a kid, and I also loved the Muppet Babies growing up, so I've got a soft spot for these ridiculous puppets.  To this day I still say that the Muppet Christmas Carol is the best adaptation of that story so far!  Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie.  It's a really rare and wondeful thing when Hollywood produces something wholesome AND good.  It's....well, about as common as a blue moon.  This movie is just such a creature, though.  It's hilarious, clean, smart, and filled with extremely talented folks who seem to be having a really good time making something speical.  The story itself is fun, all of our old favorites show up, and Jason Seagel does a fantastic job.  The crucial scene of the piece, in which Seagel and his muppet brother (yes, muppet brother, don't try to figure it out) sing alternate sides of the same song, "Am I a Man or a Muppet" is just beyond awesome (Jim Parsons, a.k.a. "Sheldon" helps).  I have to say, though, I think the 80's robot was the highlight of the film for me.  He just cracked me up...probably more than he should have.
http://east-of-nowhere.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/muppets-carride.jpeg

Well, if you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favor and pick it up when it comes out on DVD.  It's just good, clean fun; proof that great entertainment can be wholesome.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Deaths Jester

You had me up until you said the words "Good", "Clean", and "Wholesome"...the minute those words were written, I felt like throwing up!  What's wrong with you...don't you know those aren't allowed around me!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

ow_tiobe_sb

I took the family to see it several months ago, and we traveled by map...

'Tis a film definitely best enjoyed by an audience with firsthand experience of the original Muppet Show, being somewhat thick with nostalgia and numerous references that a younger viewing audience might not fully appreciate.  Pseudo-cryptic-mostly-circumspect spoiler to follow:

Spoiler

With that said, 'twas a great film with a good takeaway lesson (complete with a surprise ending), which I interpret as, "The good guys who play fair (and remain true to themselves) don't always win in a war of dollars, but they can pick themselves up and still hold their heads high in the realm of public opinion."  In other words, the film was an allegor(e)y for the 2000 Presidential Election.  :P

Just kidding.  I highly recommend the film for Muppet fans.  Only Statler and Waldorf could find fault with it. ;)

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

UnfluffyBunny

I have no intention of watching this film, atleast not untill it comes on TV, I loved all the old muppets movies but from what i've seen of this new one everything seems a little forced, and for that reason i'm satisfied with waiting, I really just wanted to point out that, if you look at the image Benton posted at the end of his post, you'll notice some secret hollywood scandal, how will R2-D2 and WALL-E deny things now they have that lovechild.....

lugaru

I really like the muppets but missed it in the theaters... as soon as hit hits netflix streaming though I'll be watching it.

John Jr.

I saw this one with the wife and daughter. We all liked it, but the movie have tons of 80's jokes aimed specifically to the fans of the tv show. So, it's a family movie, but it's funnier if you were a Muppet fan some decades ago.

BentonGrey

Syn, I have to say that I expected it to be a lot more hokey and forced than it was.  I was impressed with how well they laughed at themselves and just had fun with the story.  It's really quite good.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/