News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

So how about Manga?

Started by vamp, February 22, 2012, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vamp

So after posting in the Anime Thread, I realized I prefer manga to anime in most cases. So I just wanted to see what kind of suggestions y'all have for manga.

I will post my list of Manga that I have read/am reading later.

Edit: list time. of the ones i remember

Ares: A pretty good Korean manhwa. The art can be a bit messy, but its a pretty good revenge/war story. The end is a little unsatisfying though. (Completed)

Breaker: A great martial arts manhwa. The art is great, and the story is awesome. While the ending makes sense, it is a bit disheartening. Why Chun-Woo? Why!?(Completed) The Sequel New Waves is just now getting interesting again. But it does start off at a good point where Breaker leaves off. (On Going)

Break Blade or Broken Blade: If giant mechas and war are your sort of thing, look no further than Break Blade. It of course has the classic underdog hero, fighting a war he doesn't really want to. Add that to a betrayal, love triangles, and lots of robot mayhem, and you got yourself a good time. (I think its On going)

Eden No Ori/Cage of Eden: If you like Jurassic park, this is pretty much it in manga form. It can have its ecchi moments, so be warned. (On going)

Claymore: Fantastic series. The mystery of unraveling the whole world becomes addicting. What starts as a story of revenge and honor becomes a fight for freedom. If you like strong female leads, this is probably a good manga for you. Heck, even if you don't like strong female leads, you will probably like it. (On Going)

Reborn!: It starts out as a gag manga, but if you can get past the daily arc, it becomes an amazing series. While the premise is supposed to be about mafiosos, it has little to do with it and just helps explains some of the fights. (On Going)

Veritas: Another Korean martial arts manhwa. The art is clean, and you pretty much always know whats going on in a fight scene unlike some mangas. The story is interesting. Unfortunately, it appears the writer and artist or no longer on speaking terms and the work on it has stalled indefinitely (???)

Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan: A gag manga with a little bit of everything. Battle, love, and school/slice of life manga, all wrapped up in a neat little bow. (On Going)

Rurouni Kenshin: Wow. What can I say? Its just a great series. The art is sub par at first,  it does get better as the series progresses. The premise challenges if winning is actually winning, what atonement is, and if redemption can come from a sword. I have read the series (28 Volumes) at least 5 times from start to finish. I might just go read it again...Anyways, its an awesome story. Some humor, a good amount of tragedy (especially in the later chapters) and a whole lot of fighting. (Completed)

(Sorry mods if this isn't the appropriate place to post this)

Tomato

Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece.

lol, j/king. I actually haven't read any truly good manga in a long time. But then, manga doesn't have ponies, so my interest in it lately is zilch.

vamp

Quote from: Tomato on February 22, 2012, 01:27:16 AM
Naruto, Inuyasha, One Piece.

lol, j/king. I actually haven't read any truly good manga in a long time. But then, manga doesn't have ponies, so my interest in it lately is zilch.

...Be happy I like your ponies. That is all.

Tomato

Psst... I was purposely listing some of what I consider to be overly hyped manga... which come to think of it, also includes Bleach. That isn't to say I hate Naruto... it's had its good and bad moments, it's just way over-hyped for the content it contains.

That said, I also haven't really read it since Sasuke failed at basic 1+1=2 level logic and joined Madara (who isn't madara now? I dunno, like I said, haven't really kept up), and it was already on a downward slide by that point.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on February 22, 2012, 02:25:34 AM
who isn't madara now?

Madera.

I'm still following Naruto, I've quite enjoyed Sasuke's descent into crazy murderer. It's surprisingly well done.

Haven't read a ton of manga but I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Kommando

My List

I only got into manga a few years ago. The first one I read to completion was Ranma 1/2. Among favorites on my completed list include Azumanga Daioh, Chobits, Love Hina, Mai the Psychic Girl and Usagi Drop. Chobits and Love Hina are way up on my reread list. K-ON! would be there too but dur to the popularity of the second season of the anime, the manga started up again.

Notable mentions on my rather large currently reading list include Ah! My Goddess (which is in my top 3 along with Chobits and Love Hina), Black Bird, Kimi ni Todoke, Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (a spinoff of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya taking place in an alternate world similar to that of the one in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), K-ON!, Working! (Really good 4-Koma) and Yotsuba (made by the same mangaka as Azumanga Daioh). I like others on the list but I can't really talk about those here.

Epimethee

Anything by JirĂ´ Taniguchi.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

detourne_me

I've only read a bit,  really only reprints of 70's manga from Dark Horse,
That said Lady Snowblood is my favorite, followed by Lone Wolf & Cub

Tomato

Quote from: Podmark on February 22, 2012, 04:55:57 AM
Quote from: Tomato on February 22, 2012, 02:25:34 AM
who isn't madara now?

Madera.

I'm still following Naruto, I've quite enjoyed Sasuke's descent into crazy murderer. It's surprisingly well done.

Haven't read a ton of manga but I really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist.

Blah... I'm sorry, but I disagree. I don't have a problem with him going that route (it's what was always going to happen) but his reasons for doing it... they're flatly rediculous, and there's a whole host of things they could have done it that would have worked fine. Instead the reason he decided to kill everyone seems to be "Well, it turns out my brother was actually fighting to save the village and save my life, and dedicated even his death to protecting me. And because I now suddenly love him so, so much, I'm going to take a massive dump on everything he stood for." Even Tobi was like "really? are you serious with this noise?" when Sasuke laid that dren on him.

It could have easily been explained as Sasuke feeling resentment for the death of his clan (which had been his entire motivation up to that point anyway) and after finding out the truth he decided to blame the village elders instead of his brother. Fits in context, still gives him motivation to go against Naruto in the end, etc.

vamp

Quote from: Kommando on February 22, 2012, 05:36:54 AM
My List

I only got into manga a few years ago. The first one I read to completion was Ranma 1/2. Among favorites on my completed list include Azumanga Daioh, Chobits, Love Hina, Mai the Psychic Girl and Usagi Drop. Chobits and Love Hina are way up on my reread list. K-ON! would be there too but dur to the popularity of the second season of the anime, the manga started up again.

Notable mentions on my rather large currently reading list include Ah! My Goddess (which is in my top 3 along with Chobits and Love Hina), Black Bird, Kimi ni Todoke, Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (a spinoff of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya taking place in an alternate world similar to that of the one in The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), K-ON!, Working! (Really good 4-Koma) and Yotsuba (made by the same mangaka as Azumanga Daioh). I like others on the list but I can't really talk about those here.

Have you read Toradora? Its one of the few slice of life/love mangas i actually attempted. Never finished it but finished the anime.

Kommando

Toradora is on my list. By list I mean its on my app on my Tablet.

Spoiler

I did enjoy the anime quite a bit, and its certainly the kind of thing I would like to read (having similarities to Kimi ni Todoke in a strange way).

lugaru

Mostly I just read Horror manga like School Zone, Uzumaki, Gyo... it really scratches my itch for bizzaro chills.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on February 22, 2012, 04:42:11 PM
Blah... I'm sorry, but I disagree.

Oh his logic is most definitively broken. Something clearly broke inside when he learned his life's motivation was based on lies. And crazy murderer Sasuke is so much fun.
However, I really liked his development from a kid up to the Kage Summit. It works for me because there's so many spots where if things played out differently he could have easily been a good guy.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

vamp

Quote from: lugaru on February 22, 2012, 11:24:53 PM
Mostly I just read Horror manga like School Zone, Uzumaki, Gyo... it really scratches my itch for bizzaro chills.

Boogiepop Phantom is not exactly horror, it fits into the "odd" manga category. I can't really recall any Horror ones I have read.  Gantz is in this category as well. Both a mature reads, so be warned.

EDIT: Apparently, some people consider Deadman Wonderland a horror manga. Its not much of what I would think as horror, but it is a really good manga. Intensely bloody though. Lots of death and carnage. Not for the weak of stomach.

John Jr.

I read Fairy Tail (silly, but funny), Brave 10 (so and so) and Claymore (the best of the bunch by the reasons  explained by Vamp). I used to read Guin saga, but it was discontinued here.

vamp

I started to read Brave 10, but after so many Sengoku era mangas, it starts to get boring. As far as a replacement for Guin Saga goes, Id doesn't seem to different from it. Its a good blend of fantasy, manga, and martial arts.