A Question "that [...] will keep the professors busy for centuries"

Started by ow_tiobe_sb, January 23, 2012, 07:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should one introduce one's children to the Star Wars saga films in sequential order or by order of release?

In sequential order (i.e., Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, etc.)
1 (9.1%)
In order of release (i.e., Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode I, etc.)
7 (63.6%)
In random order (e.g., Episode VI, Episode IV, Episode II, etc.)
0 (0%)
Children?  Let them watch Barney!
0 (0%)
I have never viewed the Star Wars saga films with its fan base of scruffy nerfherders; however, I highly recommend the Star Trek films.
1 (9.1%)
Other (describe below)
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 20, 2012, 07:45:34 PM

ow_tiobe_sb

Before I raise the question of teaching Ulysses to children (j/k), I thought I would pose this question to an audience of fans who, like me, witnessed a captivating film franchise unfold in medias res during the late '70s and early '80s (or, for some, whenever they were re-released in theatres)...and then waited patiently, almost without (A New) hope, for the saga to begin/end 16+ years later.  Those of us who originally viewed the films in this sequence will have a remarkably different reception of the saga than those who may have been introduced to the Star Wars episodes in sequential order (For example: We don't necessarily ask ourselves why the quality of the special effects seems to deteriorate between Episodes III and IV.).  I ask because, sometime within the next two years, I expect my son will be mature enough to handle the scary special effects and sci-fi violence of the films (perhaps with the exception of Episode III, which was the only film to receive a PG-13 rating), and I need to determine the order in which it might be best for him to view the films.  Whereas logic clearly dictates (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* Spockophiles ;) ) that I show him the films in sequential order, I can foresee pros and cons to both options I am currently considering (and I am open to others, e.g., including the Clone Wars material into the sequence).  I look forward to your input!  Cheers!

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

bearded

my signy other recommends number five first, as it was the best. deeper than 4, not as silly as 6. then when they are hooked, you can give them 4, 5 again, and then 6. then 1, 2, and 3, and go back to 4, 5, and finally 6.
you didn't have an option on the poll for this.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: bearded on January 23, 2012, 08:41:59 PM
my signy other recommends number five first, as it was the best. deeper than 4, not as silly as 6. then when they are hooked, you can give them 4, 5 again, and then 6. then 1, 2, and 3, and go back to 4, 5, and finally 6.
you didn't have an option on the poll for this.

Ah, yes, the "lather, rinse, repeat" method.  Very wise...

Who asked you, BiL? :P

ow_tiobe_sb

Panther_Gunn

Whilst I voted as my crotchetiness dictates, I can see arguments for both sequential orders (by episode or by release date).  At a younger age, viewing in episode order may not be a bad thing, as not only will he not know how cool it ends up being, and how far the prequels fell from the tree, he may actually enjoy the pod-racing segment (and not see them as a story drag), and even may not be annoyed by jar-jar.  The downside to that is that a theme for the original trilogy, the mystery of who Darth Vader is, will be lost, and make the impact of the revelation much less so than it should be.  It also makes the tension between Luke & Leia in the first two of the originals kind of icky (a professional term).

Were he older, I would definitely recommend in order of release, as the flaws of the prequels could sour him on the whole thing before it gets good.  Additionally, it may be easier for a more mature mind to be able to watch the prequels afterwards, and be able to make the jump back in storyline without getting confused.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Reepicheep

If they're anything like the kids I've seen being introduced to them, they'll be very happy to watch them in the following order,

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Reepicheep on January 24, 2012, 06:07:05 PM
If they're anything like the kids I've seen being introduced to them, they'll be very happy to watch them in the following order,

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

I think you meant

01010011 01110100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01010111 01100001 01110010 01110011

ow_tiobe_sb

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on January 24, 2012, 08:53:50 PM
01010011 01110100 01100001 01110010 00100000 01010111 01100001 01110010 01110011

Pfft. Now try typing 8008 onto a calculator.

I'd go for 4,5,6,1,2,3, but only because that's the way I watched them, and am thankful for that. Another reason (though a minor one) is that '4,5,6' might look a tad dated compared to the others, so should probably be watched before the spangly new ones... with their bright... shiny...whatchamajjigers and their... I remember the days when... and when...yeah. I'll have the chilli please.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Tomato

Deaths Jester

I vote never!!  NEVER!!  NEVER!!!  Never let them see Star Trek either...rots their brains, not edible then!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 26, 2012, 07:16:59 PM
I vote never!!  NEVER!!  NEVER!!!  Never let them see Star Trek either...rots their brains, not edible then!!!

I vote we don't let DJ choose where we go for lunch anymore...
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 26, 2012, 11:34:06 PM

"Go"?  You know he's the one that made the chili.....
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on January 27, 2012, 02:48:54 AM
Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 26, 2012, 11:34:06 PM

"Go"?  You know he's the one that made the chili.....

...along witht he meat pies and summer sausage!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.