News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Em's Crap! (CLOSED)

Started by MJB, January 23, 2012, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Due to Image Hosting Issues/Computer Failure: This Thread has been put on infinite hiatus. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's the moment absolutely none of you have been asking for! MJB's Crap™ has returned!!

Starting today & continuing for the next couple of months (at least) Mondays will be known as Meejub Monday. Each Monday I'll be posting a brand spanking new piece of Crap™! This doesn't mean there will only be one piece a week. I may post some of my older stuff I've found on other days but I guarantee that as long as I have internet access there will be new stuff each Meejub Monday.

First up is something I sketched out a couple years ago then inked & colored sometime in '11... It's Lou! Sitting in a chair!! :loupitchfork

Wallpaper sized version
HERE!

The coloring is super simple on this one. I went with flat colors because I felt it gave it more of an animated look. *shrugs* Your opinion may vary...

Please, please, PLEASE leave some kind of comment/feedback. It really keeps me going. :)

-MJB

~~~~~~~~~~~~UPDATE GALLERY~~~~~~~~~~~~

Figure Fan

Meej...I love your art. I'm definitely glad to see this return. :cool:

juancho

oohhh the big CRAP returns!!

heheh, nice work meejub. Really looking foward to your new stuff, I've always been a fan of your art :D

PreRaphaelite

I do love crap... And this crap is solid gold.

In terms of colouring, I think you managed to reach the animated look you were aiming for. It's flat and simple, but works really well as a whole. As individual elements, I think the trident is perhaps the least cohesive element, looking a tad unruly compared to the other parts of the picture (I think in this case it might be the highly saturated glows that throw me a little - a soft glow work well for Lou's eyes, but it seems a bit harsh on the trident). Ignoring that one nitpick, the gravestone chair; the grinning skulls contrasting with Lou's disgruntled face; and the devilish tone of the image (slightly menacing but in a cheeky/adorable way) are all spot on. And, as ever, the line work is clean, chunky and crisp. So do keep going, I really look forward to seeing what your produce next.

And... I kind of want to hug him.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Reepicheep

All these awesome artists coming back!

Anyone else feel there is a conspiracy in the works?

MJB

Quote from: Figure Fan on January 23, 2012, 09:29:41 AM
Meej...I love your art. I'm definitely glad to see this return. :cool:

Thanks FF! Funny that you were the first one to post here. Looking through my sketch books & folders of doodles last night I came across quite a few pics of your avatar. He's so much fun to draw.  :figurefananim

Quote from: juancho on January 23, 2012, 09:39:55 AM
oohhh the big CRAP returns!!

heheh, nice work meejub. Really looking foward to your new stuff, I've always been a fan of your art :D

I've always been a fan of your micro's so I guess that makes us even. :mjb:

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 23, 2012, 10:04:31 AM
I do love crap... And this crap is solid gold.

In terms of colouring, I think you managed to reach the animated look you were aiming for. It's flat and simple, but works really well as a whole. As individual elements, I think the trident is perhaps the least cohesive element, looking a tad unruly compared to the other parts of the picture (I think in this case it might be the highly saturated glows that throw me a little - a soft glow work well for Lou's eyes, but it seems a bit harsh on the trident).

Interesting enough the trident was an afterthought. When I drew out the pencils originally there was no trident or fire. When I decided to ink it I hastily threw in the trident. While inking it I also added some highlights that I didn't plan for.

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 23, 2012, 10:04:31 AMAnd... I kind of want to hug him.

I wouldn't recommend it. He bites. :lou :mjbdead

Quote from: Reepicheep on January 23, 2012, 05:46:58 PM
All these awesome artists coming back!

Anyone else feel there is a conspiracy in the works?

You can blame Spud for my return. I don't know who you can blame for the others coming back. :P

-MJB

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: MJB on January 23, 2012, 11:02:29 PM
Interesting enough the trident was an afterthought. When I drew out the pencils originally there was no trident or fire. When I decided to ink it I hastily threw in the trident. While inking it I also added some highlights that I didn't plan for.

Ah, see, that is interesting. As you say, it does look a little like an afterthought, though I think you were completely right to put something in that space. It gives the picture more weight on the left-hand-side, and that weight gives Lou more authority. (Also, I'm glad you opted to exclude the fire-imp-sprite-fire-devil-fire on the right. And the flames were a nice final touch.)

And *poof* I'm gone.

XStream

Great Crap man!  :thumbup:  Always love when people share.

MJB, what are you using to ink and color your drawings? I haven't done a lot of drawing the past couple of years (my only FR art has been sketches and MSPaint pics), but I am considering working on my own crap.

I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

MJB

Quote from: XStream on January 24, 2012, 03:03:17 AMMJB, what are you using to ink and color your drawings? I haven't done a lot of drawing the past couple of years (my only FR art has been sketches and MSPaint pics), but I am considering working on my own crap.[/color][/b]

Currently I'm using some drafting pens my wife found for me. They range in size from 0.1mm to 0.7mm. I also use basic pens, sharpies and whatever else I can get my hands on. Nothing special really.

To color I use my old standby of Photoshop 6. I haven't tried any of the newer versions of the program so I can't really tell you about advantages/disadvantages. I  started out using Paintshop Pro then moved up to Photoshop. The move was difficult & the learning curve was kinda steep but it was quite worth the effort.

I also use a Wacom tablet when doing digital colors. Mine is a 4x5. It gets the job done.

naitvalis

i like your "clean" style, and like the character, i would love to see him in a short story  :D,  maybe with other characters drawed in the same style.
hope to see your new stuff soon.

Figure Fan

I was browsing your DA gallery and saw that you added a drawing from my old account as a favorite, then commented. I'm actually going to close that account I think, but I can send you whatever drawings I have of your avatar.

:excl: This is my new account on DA, though I don't log into the site very often: http://mcinchakart.deviantart.com/

MJB

Quote from: naitvalis on January 24, 2012, 08:25:57 AM
i like your "clean" style, and like the character, i would love to see him in a short story  :D,  maybe with other characters drawed in the same style.
hope to see your new stuff soon.

Thank you! I have a handful of comic strips (9 I think) featuring Lou. Uploading them to my deviantart account shouldn't be a big deal. I'll let you know when I get off my lazy butt. :mjbdeadagain

Quote from: Figure Fan on January 24, 2012, 08:28:37 AMI was browsing your DA gallery and saw that you added a drawing from my old account as a favorite, then commented. I'm actually going to close that account I think, but I can send you whatever drawings I have of your avatar.

I want any and every pic you have of my avatar. I like your style. :)

Quote from: Figure Fan on January 24, 2012, 08:28:37 AM:excl: This is my new account on DA, though I don't log into the site very often: http://mcinchakart.deviantart.com/

*followed*

This reminds me... If anyone reading this has an Deviantart account feel free to send me a link & I'll be sure to follow you. FR forever & all that.

captainspud

But, why aren't you drawing right now?

Also, now?
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

MJB

Outcast

I like devil/demon themed art. :)

Sometimes i find myself searching for devil themed art in the internet...probably so i can use it as an avatar pic, since i feel i'm somewhat of a devil/evil person sometimes.. :wacko:... :twisted:

The flat colors you used really gives it a nice animated/cartoon look.   Anticipating what's gonna be next this coming Monday. :)

MJB

It's Meejub Monday! Woo!!

This Meejub Monday will be a special 2 for 1 deal. If you like my stuff you can thank the wife for suggestion that I post both these. If you don't like them you can still blame her. :P

First up is something some of you may have seen way back in 2007 when I showed the inks off. I drew the following picture as a back-up piece for the 2007 FR calendar. It wasn't used so I shelved it. While bored the other night I looked through some of my drawings for something fun to color & ran across this.

Inks from '06 colors from '12.

Villains Reborn!!

Featuring The Verdant Vowel & Phantom Eyebrow versus Mr. Hamrick, Hellscorp clones & Sharkmen™!

Next up we have something else Villains Reborn related. In 2008 I was a big fan of the Marvel Zombie books & wanted to do a quick 1 shot comic featuring FR characters as zombies. I wanted Grizz to write it since he did a swell job on Villains Reborn. To try & talk him into doing the book I slapped together a parody of my
VR #1 cover & sent it to him.

Grizz started on the script but I got busy & didn't respond to his first draft. The project fell apart before it even started. :oops:

The drawing is bad but I wanted to color it anyway. Inks are from '08 colors from '12...

Zombies Reborn!

Featuring Zombie versions of Grizzlybear Talon, MikeB7, Ronin Lost, Gdaybloke & Captain Spud. Also zombie snack food MJB.

That's it for this Meejub Monday. PLEASE be sure to leave me some type of feedback. I needs the motivation!

All new art next week. Can't wait to show it off. :mjb:

-MJB

juancho

ohhh I love me some villans reborn. I always hoped for a second issue :D
This lifts my hopes up a bitm ore.

Great job meejub, your style is freat, cartoony and fresh, I love it

naitvalis

i like that "zombie cover" really a good job  :thumbup: :thumbup:, the only little note is the figures on the bottom of the page are little "cutted".
Now a "matter of taste" your characters in my opinion have a "cute"look wich let me imagine them in "funny stories" is this your way? or am i completely wrong?

PreRaphaelite

I'm going to just start off by saying I love the vibrant colours used for the Villains reborn pinup. They're just so dynamic and really help to enhance the liveliness of the piece. Additionally, the three C's are back in full force - your line-work is clean, crisp and chunky, and very key to your style. A great picture.

While I like both covers, especially the typography and convincing comic-book layouts - right down to the staples - were I to choose I would probably say I'm more enamored by the first of the two covers (Villains Reborn).

For ZR, The little details, such as gdaybloke's broken headset, the evil hamster and the cyan gore add a lot of interest to the piece, and the expressions of the zombies are classic - very Marvel Zombies, right down to the lighting/shading. I think perhaps where you lose me a bit is in the composition. For VR the composition is very lively and intimate, making great use of the foreground and background (with a Hellscorp clone charging towards the distracted gdaybloke). It seems particularly polished and fills the page really well.

In contrast, I find the very 'head on' composition of ZR, with its slight weighting to the left-hand corner a little off. It seems a teeny bit flat in comparison (though it's not without its drama!). Also, while I really appreciate the comparison between Ronin Lost/Hellscorp and Ronin Lost/MJB on the two covers, I think the angle of MJB's fall is a bit confusing as it almost looks as if he's lying on his back in the air, and at the same time flying towards us - and Mikey does appear a little unfinished/clipped behind him.

As you said, I think the drawing let you down a little bit for ZR, but the colours are pretty much spot on - there's a great sense of gore, death and dark humour there that works really well. In particular, I like the ominous devilishness of C. Spud and his tattered cape, and the feral aggression of Grizz.

It really is a shame that the Age of Hellscorp died so early, and I definitely would have loved to see the Villains Reborn/Zombies Reborn comics in full.  :(

But yes, all new art next week? - Can't wait.

Figure Fan

The background work on both of these is great. The composition of the would-be calendar art is action-packed and really fun. The bright green on the Verdant Vowel stands out so nicely among all the red Hellscorp clones, too. Also, I love the way you highlighted the bright outlines on his black costume parts. Everything here is just so bright, bold, and exciting. :)

Tomato

YAY, Villains Reborn! Loved that event back in the day. Artwork is fantabulous.

(Oh, and feel free to post the ones I commisioned if you want... I still hold out hope that I'll one day have time to put them to good use, but for now they're just kinda sitting there)

Outcast

I don't know much about the calendar events other than seeing them in the profiles of some members here, but it's too bad it was...discontinued? Would have wanted to see the other works which were created there.

I like the poster and comic cover MJB. Wish there was a weekly comic strip using those characters. That would be cool. :cool:

MJB

Quote from: juancho on January 30, 2012, 09:27:24 AM
ohhh I love me some villans reborn. I always hoped for a second issue :D
This lifts my hopes up a bitm ore.

Great job meejub, your style is freat, cartoony and fresh, I love it

Thanks for the kind words, Juan.

Quote from: naitvalis on January 30, 2012, 09:46:23 AMthe only little note is the figures on the bottom of the page are little "cutted".
Now a "matter of taste" your characters in my opinion have a "cute"look wich let me imagine them in "funny stories" is this your way? or am i completely wrong?

The figures at the bottom of the page (MikeB7 in particular) were not actually finished. I noticed this while coloring & threw in a layer of solid black to cover it up. Me is lazy!

As far as my characters having a "cute" look I'll take it. I shoot for more of a "cartoony" look but cute works too.

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 30, 2012, 02:57:25 PM
I'm going to just start off by saying I love the vibrant colours used for the Villains reborn pinup. They're just so dynamic and really help to enhance the liveliness of the piece. Additionally, the three C's are back in full force - your line-work is clean, crisp and chunky, and very key to your style. A great picture.

While I like both covers, especially the typography and convincing comic-book layouts - right down to the staples - were I to choose I would probably say I'm more enamored by the first of the two covers (Villains Reborn).

For ZR, The little details, such as gdaybloke's broken headset, the evil hamster and the cyan gore add a lot of interest to the piece, and the expressions of the zombies are classic - very Marvel Zombies, right down to the lighting/shading. I think perhaps where you lose me a bit is in the composition. For VR the composition is very lively and intimate, making great use of the foreground and background (with a Hellscorp clone charging towards the distracted gdaybloke). It seems particularly polished and fills the page really well.

In contrast, I find the very 'head on' composition of ZR, with its slight weighting to the left-hand corner a little off. It seems a teeny bit flat in comparison (though it's not without its drama!). Also, while I really appreciate the comparison between Ronin Lost/Hellscorp and Ronin Lost/MJB on the two covers, I think the angle of MJB's fall is a bit confusing as it almost looks as if he's lying on his back in the air, and at the same time flying towards us - and Mikey does appear a little unfinished/clipped behind him.

As you said, I think the drawing let you down a little bit for ZR, but the colours are pretty much spot on - there's a great sense of gore, death and dark humour there that works really well. In particular, I like the ominous devilishness of C. Spud and his tattered cape, and the feral aggression of Grizz.

It really is a shame that the Age of Hellscorp died so early, and I definitely would have loved to see the Villains Reborn/Zombies Reborn comics in full.  :(

But yes, all new art next week? - Can't wait.

PreRaph, your feedback has quickly become my favorite ones to watch out for. This week's doesn't disappoint.

Ya the Zombie Reborn cover has many, many flaws. It was, after all, not meant for normal people to see (Grizz is not, in fact, normal :P ). If the ZR comic did actually happen I would have redrawn the cover from scratch. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Figure Fan on January 30, 2012, 07:43:28 PM
The background work on both of these is great. The composition of the would-be calendar art is action-packed and really fun. The bright green on the Verdant Vowel stands out so nicely among all the red Hellscorp clones, too. Also, I love the way you highlighted the bright outlines on his black costume parts. Everything here is just so bright, bold, and exciting. :)

Wow, thanks FF! Glad to see that my bright colors please some people.

Quote from: Tomato on January 30, 2012, 11:28:46 PM
YAY, Villains Reborn! Loved that event back in the day. Artwork is fantabulous.

(Oh, and feel free to post the ones I commisioned if you want... I still hold out hope that I'll one day have time to put them to good use, but for now they're just kinda sitting there)

Thanks for the compliment, Tomato. Also thanks for the thumbs-up to post the commission work I did for you. You are the man!

Quote from: Outcast on January 31, 2012, 04:51:38 AM
I don't know much about the calendar events other than seeing them in the profiles of some members here, but it's too bad it was...discontinued? Would have wanted to see the other works which were created there.

I like the poster and comic cover MJB. Wish there was a weekly comic strip using those characters. That would be cool. :cool:

Sadly the calendar fell apart for multiple reasons. The main reasons were time dedication & interest. People didn't have the time to invest & the interest in the actual product dropped. Sad stuff really.

A weekly comic strip would have been great but, back in the day, I quickly learned that I didn't have the chops to pull it off.

MikeB7

Super vibrant colors!  Awesome to see you posting pics again.  Giggling at the zombies reborn - BELLYBUTTON MAKE GOOD FOOD!

XStream

More crap!

I love the Villains Reborn cover! Eyebrow just looks cool. I hate that I missed the single issue that you are speaking about. Any chance someone can see a copy of this?

MJB

Quote from: MikeB7 on February 01, 2012, 01:37:40 AM
Super vibrant colors!  Awesome to see you posting pics again.  Giggling at the zombies reborn - BELLYBUTTON MAKE GOOD FOOD!

Mikey! It's Mikey! You made my day. :)

Quote from: XStream on February 01, 2012, 02:29:35 AM
More crap!

I love the Villains Reborn cover! Eyebrow just looks cool. I hate that I missed the single issue that you are speaking about. Any chance someone can see a copy of this?

I just added the whole comic to my DeviantArt gallery. Just go to meejub.deviantart.com & head to my gallery. Click "Villains Reborn 2006" & you're done. :)

Tomato

Gah! You can't be here Mike, you'll break the universe as we know it! It's confusing enough when the two of you are in different threads, but both of you in the same thread... *shudder* we'll never be able to tell the difference! We're all DOOMED!

But no, seriously, good to have you back too man.

XStream

And they both have MikeyB7 as their avatar (although MJB's is slightly undead).

Thanks for posting the comic Mik....shoot....MJB!

MJB

Thanks to Tomato's kindness we have a new series of updates to look forward to! For the next 4 weeks look out for Tomato Thurdays!!

These are commissions I did for Tomato last year. First up Influx #0...

-MJB

**EDIT**

Forgot to mention that I added my old MJB: Vampire Slayer mini-comic to my DeviantArt page for anyone interested.

juancho

:blink: :wub: :blink: :wub: :blink:

This is just insane, really Meejub, one hell of a comic cover I love every bit of it, the characters, the powers, the evil Randy silouette.
Thanks for sharing such awsomenes with us, both to you and Tomato!

who is the one in the front centre? X-Stream?