News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Started by detourne_me, November 18, 2011, 03:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

Is anyone getting excited for this game?
I just got an email from bioware for a beta test... i redeemed the code, but nothing has happened.  Does anyone else know what's going on? (I'm assuming some others have gotten beta test invites too)

UnfluffyBunny

the next beta test is the stress test weekend, where EVERYONE who signed up for beta gets access, i'm -hoping- they start letting you preload for it relatively early, people I know from the early beta's said it was a 40 gig download, someone I know who was in last weekend said 26, either way it'll take me a few days :/
and yes, extremely excited, i'm even paying the rediculous £130 for the collectors edition (btw, EA are dumbasses for that, the £130 is based on it being 150 -euros-, and it's 150 euros because....it's $150...... so I have to pay $210 because EA dont know about currencies? ¬_¬)

JeyNyce

The game been out for a while, has anybody picked it up?  How are they liking it?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Courtnall6

I've got it. My main is a lvl 23 Jedi Knight. The most enjoyable MMO I've played in a long time! :cool:

My only real problem is with the space battles. I'm not a fan of riding on a starship rail. They really need to make it full space free roam like SW Battlefront and make the space missions co-op.
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

JeyNyce

I'm a lvl 28 Smuggler.  I don't mine the space battles.  I enjoyed them a lot because when I get tired of running around on the ground, I play a few space battles and I'm good to go.  It's a nice distraction.

Courtnall6

Cool :cool:

Did you go Scoundrel or Gunslinger? I've got a lvl 19 Smuggler/Gunslinger. Though I'm kinda wishing I went Scoundrel since I heard only they get the Wookie companion. <_<

JeyNyce

I'm a gunslinger and I have a Wookie....wait, you know what I mean.... :D

rain

Quote from: JeyNyce on December 22, 2011, 02:46:48 PM
The game been out for a while, has anybody picked it up?  How are they liking it?

It's absolutely fantastic. A seriously amazing game that I am having a ton of fun with.  I have a 19 Sith Marauder that I have a blast with.
It's a very fun game.

would write more but too busy enjoying it.
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

captmorgan72

Does the game require a lot of juice to run well? Here is what I have:
                       ATI Radeon 3850 512mb
                       SB X-fi
                       3 GB Ram
                       AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Think this setup can run the game well?

JeyNyce

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
Operating System:
Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later
RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
nVidia 7800 or better
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

You should be able to play it on low to med settings

UnfluffyBunny

i'd be wary with an ATI Radeon right now, the 1.1 patch did -something- that seems to be affecting us, since the patch i've been dropped down to 3-4fps....
IF they fix the issue before I get sick of waiting, i'm on Shien with some star wars roleplayers from second life >.>, so far invested in a 30 sniper (after deleting a 25 sniper for aesthetical reasons >.>), a 19 sorc (after deleting a 22 assassin), a 20 marauder, a 24 mercenary, a 30 trooper, a 15 guardian and a 12 scoundrel >.>

Courtnall6

Hmmm...interesting...I've got an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and the game has been running great. Even when I set the new anti-aliasing option to high.

UnfluffyBunny

I think it's combined with my craptacular internet, I imagine if my internet was higher than 1.4 megs it wouldn't be such an extreme drop ¬_¬

captmorgan72

I guess the "can you run it" site is not accurate at all. According to it, my computer should have no problem playing it at the highest settings. Even at the lowest settings the game runs terrible and looks terrible. I'm glad I tried the 7 day trial before buying. In case your wondering, here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4800+
3 Gig Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB
SB X-Fi

It's pretty outdated and there is no way I can afford to upgrade now, so shes mostly for doing school work and web browsing.

Tortuga

I played it for the free trial weekend and had fun.  Very typical MMO, however, at least up to the point I got to.  The conversations are really cool though.

If I had a better PC I'd be playing it.

captmorgan72

I played it for 7 days and like Tortuga, I would subscribe to it if I had a better pc.

JeyNyce

If you like KOTOR 1 & 2 then you will like this game.  Between this game and Mass Effect 3, I've sold my soul to BioWare

Ares_God_of_War

If you like Kotor play the jedi knight. His story feels most like the spiritual successor of those games.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

captmorgan72

Quote from: captmorgan72 on March 23, 2012, 08:13:55 AM
I played it for 7 days and like Tortuga, I would subscribe to it if I had a better pc.
I bought a better pc (laptop) and I subscribed. Plays nice and smooth and I'm really liking it. I picked a sith marauder and right now I am at level 13. I am guessing that it takes awhile for marauders to become powerful, because I am getting destroyed in most of my missions. I watch gunslingers do the same missions solo with little problems. 

JeyNyce

Quote from: captmorgan72 on March 31, 2012, 05:25:44 AM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on March 23, 2012, 08:13:55 AM
I bought a better pc (laptop) and I subscribed. Plays nice and smooth and I'm really liking it. I picked a sith marauder and right now I am at level 13. I am guessing that it takes awhile for marauders to become powerful, because I am getting destroyed in most of my missions. I watch gunslingers do the same missions solo with little problems.

Sith Marauder are quite powerful if you set up their abilities right.  Also use your companion to the fullest.  Make sure their armor is good enough.  I'm a lvl 26 marauder and I can take down enemies that are 2 lvl higher.

captmorgan72

Jey, how about helping out a fellow Sith marauder? How are your skills and abilities set up?

JeyNyce

Quote from: captmorgan72 on April 01, 2012, 06:05:55 PM
Jey, how about helping out a fellow Sith marauder? How are your skills and abilities set up?

I just emailed you a pic of my skill tree.  I hope that helps.  What server are you on?

captmorgan72

Thanks Jey, I'm sure that will help. I am on the Drooga's Pleasure Barge server.

captmorgan72

I thought that getting help was hard in DC Online, getting help in this game is nearly impossible. Any hints how to get help or any good groups to join on the Drooga's Pleasure Barge server?

JeyNyce

I'm on a different server, but what do you need help with?  There are guides and video out there to help you out.  You can solo up to about lvl 40-45 depending on how you do your stats.

captmorgan72

Totally stuck on "To Kill a Sith lord" mission. I must have tried to kill  Lord Rathari over a dozen times and he kills me every time. I manage to get his health bar under 50% but I drop dead always. Calls for assistance of course go unanswered, even from guild members. Seems lame that I would need help anyway, isn't your character suppose to be the star of this show? Also, I experience terrible lag in this game, in Star Trek Online its smooth sailing. I like where the story is heading but its very hard to enjoy a game where my character can't solo and the lag is so bad. :(

JeyNyce

Free Trial will begin on Thursday, May 17th at 12:01AM CDT / 5:01AM GMT, and end on Monday, May 21st at 2:00AM CDT / 7:00AM GMT.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120515

If anybody wants to play, let me know.  I'm in a great guild (Omega XIII) and we play on the Darth Bandon server.  Look for Jemar.

captmorgan72

Gave up on this game after my million attempts to kill Lord Rathari failed. I read on the SWOR boards that you can't solo certain bosses, you need to fight them in groups. I hate games that force you to join parties to get pass bosses. Kinda takes the shine off your character story wise I think. Oh, big bad rising sith lord couldn't take down his opponent without help. No thanks, let me solo or not at all. See ya Old Republic.

Ares_God_of_War

What level were you and what companion did you have? I used Quinn and Rathari wasnt hard at all.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."