News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

something big

Started by bearded, September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

haha!
right now, when i can actually manage to target my jump just right, gene starts slowly sliding down and then falls to the side. i think it's cause cyber thug is round on top. i will soon find out what will happen when cyber thug moves, with gene on top. i imagine he will stay in place, and fall to the ground when cyber thug is no longer under him. i think i can write some code to attach to characters and call it 'carrier', where the person on the carrier inherits it's movement. but unless the carrier is big, gene'll probably slide off anyway. hmm, tricky.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BentonGrey

Haha, neat!  The Atom could stand on Hawkman's shoulder!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

ShawDAMAN

lugaru

The progress is ridiculous. How are collision detection going so far? I'm no programmer but I know that is one of the things that can bog down the game a bit, and if this program handles it well... well... I'm looking forward to some huge battles.

bearded

Quote from: lugaru on November 08, 2011, 09:01:02 PM
The progress is ridiculous. How are collision detection going so far? I'm no programmer but I know that is one of the things that can bog down the game a bit, and if this program handles it well... well... I'm looking forward to some huge battles.
that is one of the things i'm deciding on. if i make collision detection simple, big battles are possible. but, i could make collision detectors for different body parts, so there could be bruised or bleeding decals to indicate low hp in each area. code powers to different spots and you could have them stop working at a certain damage level. but this would preclude large battles, it would really zap framerate.

BentonGrey

While the latter does sound cool, go for simple and big battles!  That's one of the coolest things about FF.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

ShawDAMAN

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 08, 2011, 10:03:57 PM
While the latter does sound cool, go for simple and big battles!  That's one of the coolest things about FF.

I tend to agree. :)

Figure Fan

Yeah, specific body part damage isn't really that important. I'd say that the capability for large battles and an overall better combat system would be awesome.

spydermann93

Bigger and better battles most definitely.

While I do like the idea of area based damage, I think that should be implemented later on when the combat system has developed.

Epimethee

That's very impressive progress indeed. So cool to see!

Quote from: bearded on November 08, 2011, 10:53:00 PM
that is one of the things i'm deciding on. if i make collision detection simple, big battles are possible. but, i could make collision detectors for different body parts, so there could be bruised or bleeding decals to indicate low hp in each area. code powers to different spots and you could have them stop working at a certain damage level. but this would preclude large battles, it would really zap framerate.
Specific body area targeting would add a new dimension in tactical fighting. To reduce frame rate impact, maybe it could be enabled only on the hero and his currently selected target. For other characters, targeting could be applied randomly (plus eventual modifiers).
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

bearded

Quote from: Epimethee on November 09, 2011, 04:29:06 AM
Specific body area targeting would add a new dimension in tactical fighting. To reduce frame rate impact, maybe it could be enabled only on the hero and his currently selected target. For other characters, targeting could be applied randomly (plus eventual modifiers).
simple, and effective. genius!
make sphere colliders a public variable and naturally deactivate them all except for torso, which will be default. simply use the script that calls target to activate all the colliders and deactivate them when the target case is switched.

Epimethee

I'm glad you think it's worth pursuing, Bearded.

bearded

thanks to Randomdays!

i can import any map now and with a little work, make it work. i am starting to think along the lines of starting a paypal donation tab on a new website to fund the unity pro. i am missing out on a couple of things.

lugaru

Agh! Buildings!

Let me know when you have a site up.

ShawDAMAN

Epimethee

This is starting to look  real.

For donations, how about a Kickstarter?

detourne_me

lugaru

"Donate $10 or more and I'll add your name into the comments in the code"
"Donate $25 or more and I'll name a call function after you"

bearded

everything going back to normal in my house, i'll be able to go back to work on this tomorrow.

bearded

i'll get back to you guys on the license plan...
as to my work, i'm trying to import this big monster:

you can't see it clear in this shot, but the water has waves, and there is a way to implement swimming.

ShawDAMAN

whoa...the carrier? cool

bearded

last night i had an idea for different unlockable levels. each level would be a mega level, with many missions in each. each level would unlock different costume and power choices.
1. golden; the origin of your character or team. the missions would be danger room training type missions. your powers would be simple, basic. jumping, climbing, fighting. guns. the enemies would be gangsters with funny names.
2. silver; you get a costume change. addition of new unlocked powers, flight. enemies are supernatural, alien. guns are gone.
3. lead; costume change, power upgrade. guns are back. long hair possible. enemies are a mix of the first 2, upgraded and changed.
4. crisis; team up of all the previous versions of your character. mission is huge even based, saving reality or realities.
5. iron;

any thoughts or ideas on this theme? especially the iron level.

bearded

the unity pro license is $1500. this is real, i'm going to make it happen. the more help i get, the better i can make it.
i've set up a donation website:
http://brightideagames.com/
i'll find a good website maker and make it look better. start a project update section, and host the pics there.
right now, i've decided my goal is a fan remake of ff. i'm going to follow the game as close as possible, and insert code for all the things we've been wanting over the years. i'm going to make it super mod friendly. i am not, at this time, going to try and duplicate ffx. too much! but, it should be easy for other creative types to put it in.

after that, i'll think about designing my own game engine, using what i've learned from this. that's when i'll use the kickstarter website.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: bearded on November 19, 2011, 03:31:18 PM
last night i had an idea for different unlockable levels. each level would be a mega level, with many missions in each. each level would unlock different costume and power choices.
1. golden; the origin of your character or team. the missions would be danger room training type missions. your powers would be simple, basic. jumping, climbing, fighting. guns. the enemies would be gangsters with funny names.
2. silver; you get a costume change. addition of new unlocked powers, flight. enemies are supernatural, alien. guns are gone.
3. lead; costume change, power upgrade. guns are back. long hair possible. enemies are a mix of the first 2, upgraded and changed.
4. crisis; team up of all the previous versions of your character. mission is huge even based, saving reality or realities.
5. iron;

any thoughts or ideas on this theme? especially the iron level.

I would say leave any and all character designs in the Golden Level with slight power upgrades on each additional level. As for the Iron level, if it's the last level, I'd say make it a massive boss fight of some type.

Quote from: bearded on November 22, 2011, 08:35:33 AM
the unity pro license is $1500. this is real, i'm going to make it happen. the more help i get, the better i can make it.
i've set up a donation website:
http://brightideagames.com/
i'll find a good website maker and make it look better. start a project update section, and host the pics there.
right now, i've decided my goal is a fan remake of ff. i'm going to follow the game as close as possible, and insert code for all the things we've been wanting over the years. i'm going to make it super mod friendly. i am not, at this time, going to try and duplicate ffx. too much! but, it should be easy for other creative types to put it in.

after that, i'll think about designing my own game engine, using what i've learned from this. that's when i'll use the kickstarter website.

I'd be interested in seeing what FF would be like on another game engine. I will definitely be following this.

catwhowalksbyhimself

One thing I would caution you about is not to make this a complete remake as far as including all the Freedom Force characters, storylines, art, and models in the main release.  Copying the basic system and interface should be okay, but you don't want to possibly run afoul of certain corporate interests, while limiting what you can do with this at the same time.  If you wanted to released a complete FF copy as say, a separate download not included in the "official" game, that would be a better approach.

As for a main campaign, our community is both creative enough and talented enough to make something to take it's place.  I hesitate to offer this, but I may even be willing to come out of retirement and create a version of Liberty Bay to serve as a default campaign.

As for ffx stuff, provide the basic foundation and the mod support need to fully integrate stuff like that into the main game instead of welding it in with hacks and such and I think modders will gladly adapt those thing to the new system for you.  I would be a pleasure to do so.

Note that this process would be much easier if python with similar scripting functions could be integrated, although it could be done with more work reguardless.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

bearded

python is something that can be integrated, i'll learn more about that asap.
i would welcome the liberty bay originals.
seperate "mod" from official, good idea.

here's what i have so far for the first level:

i plan on making a walkaround demo for it very soon. i am going to replace the trees and lightposts first, wind blown trees, and light posts that light up depending on the time of day.

Cyber Burn

What about running this as the FF3 that everyone has always hoped for?

bearded

that would be a good name for my project. uff3, unofficial freedom force 3.

here is gene, after climbing up on the statue, and the sun is rising. trees next!

Outcast

argh....the sun's too bright...hurts my eyes....need shades....(just kidding bearded). :)

Really impressed on how far you've gone and gonna go on making this project of yours. :o

bearded

now implemented trees and swimming! it uses a simple box collider. set how deep you want to go, activate all the right keyframes, and turn off gravity for that character.
i was thinking about colliders on moving vehicles, what about a scene where the hero has to jump on the tops of cars to catch the speeding away villian?