Main Menu

something big

Started by bearded, September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenolith

bearded

thanks guys. something new to look at:
brightideagames.com/WebPlayer.html
nothing to play, just a demo to watch. i am playing around with the ai and pathfinding, using some tower defense tags. the engine when done will be able to target based on character tags. making it easier to program in ai. using gren's crusader and daglob's suit. (i know the suit needs to be animated.)

bearded

working on a campaign.

Cyber Burn

Sounds cool Bearded, looking forward to it.

jeremy355

Cool. Can't wait to play it.

Amazo Version 2.2

For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

spydermann93

I'm really looking forward to it, Bearded :)

bearded

danger room mission!!! ive been working hard, and am very excited about my progress, and excited to see what you guys think.
i need a few more things, i need the full version of the fury framework (100 dollars) which will increase the number of units available during play, i need something called "Dinky Dungeon Level Generator" (30 dollars) that will help with procedural content at runtime, and i have researched how to open the game to modders. the modding framework will be in lua, which is similar to python, and is free to implement, but we need the pro version of unity for it to work. the donate tab is back up at the website, which i also need to work on, expect a better one soon, it's my next project since i've reached a pretty good plateau with the game engine itself.
almost forgot credit, hidden in spoilers so you can play the mission first.
Spoiler

beast by grenadier and courtnal6
jean gery by miguelyankes' all in one Skope of marvel_girl_rachel_2 (INK); classic_Jean (INK); rogue_Jimlee (INK) and courtnal6
sentinal by Grenadier with the collaborative ideas from Entwaidemla and courtnal6
hellfire goon, Hexed Hyrdra_Soldier by Ren and JM_Challenger by Grenadier with skin by area34

no favoritism, i used what was available and asked permission. if i have erred, let me know and i will use other art. contrary, if you want your art in my missions, let me know! i'll make extra effort to include any volunteers.

lugaru

Insanity.

I fooled around with it for a second (the fact that it runs in a browser means I can at work) but I cant wait until it slows down and I can really mess with it. Very cool progress.

bearded

the biggest hurdle is keeping my motivation. sometimes simple words of encouragement are all i need. thank you.
did you notice the:
Spoiler
random attack animations? collecting powerups for later use? implementation of some stats?
right now i am limited on the number of unit types, but eventually when we go pro, virtually unlimited. manage all the avengers at the same time!
it is time for me to start developing  powers and fx. i decided the character generator was a dead road, it was too big for me right now. i think i need to make a character based player game and let the eventual modders make specific characters instead of trying to recreate the coH engine.

BentonGrey

Wow Bearded, that looks great!  I'm impressed man.  That has come a very long way.  I didn't notice the randomized attack animations, but that is a very nice feature.  I did notice the items, and I think that is a good idea.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bearded

this is how my gf plays the game:

BentonGrey

To be fair, that's how I play it too....
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

bearded

i need to put better instructions in it. you can select each character, point and click, or you can drag a box around them. simply right click to attack anything. the lower left box with the bolt on it is a damage over time, you can have jean attack and run. loot the crates for more health power ups. the 'deactivated sentinal' is easier than the one on the middle of the island, he's more fully active.
i need to put a zoom to character feature in, and portraits for which one is active. any other ideas for the gui?
(she got upset. "He's standing right on my head!")

BentonGrey

Haha, Sentinels are so inconsiderate.  Hmm...those things sound good.  When you have selectable powers, a right click menu like FF will be handy, but at the moment, I think a click-zoom feature and portraits would be most important.  Do you have a plan for what's next?
God Bless

Cyber Burn

I agree with Benton on the portraits, also, what's the max number of controllable characters going to be?

hmarrs

Quote from: bearded on April 19, 2012, 10:05:07 PM
i need to put better instructions in it. you can select each character, point and click, or you can drag a box around them. simply right click to attack anything. the lower left box with the bolt on it is a damage over time, you can have jean attack and run. loot the crates for more health power ups. the 'deactivated sentinal' is easier than the one on the middle of the island, he's more fully active.
i need to put a zoom to character feature in, and portraits for which one is active. any other ideas for the gui?
(she got upset. "He's standing right on my head!")
I remember at one one time you spoke of making a toggle switch so the the characters can move with directional keys instead of point and click is this somthing you are still considering?

Amazo Version 2.2

wasd controls would be cool
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

bearded

yes, wasd, or my preference, the xbox controller. im going to want a better friendly ai for that, so my next target is different tactics for allies. for beast, i am going to make a taunt power and defensive tactics, so he draws all attention to himself and then jumps around while jean smacks the enemy. also, an all agggressive manuever where the ai automatically attacks all enemies in range.
the number of player characters right now is limited to 5, until i can afford the better software. after that, only limited by your pc!
in addition to wasd movement, im thinking about making a superhero flight simulator, not related to this project, it's own game. the sim would have different kinds of flight, with different physiques, wings, jetpack, tk, anti grav, etc.
right now instead of a right click menu, i have the powers hot keyed to numbers. i havent figured out how to pause and give commands yet...
i might have discovered a way for players to create levels. is anyone interested in trying that, or should i wait till i get cutscenes and better character options? right now it would only be maps.

bearded

super flight sim! using skin by daglob, mesh by me, and animations by grenadier.
now, if i decide to make it a full on game, i'll need to work out a better terrain, and probably need some mission ideas.
also, probably will make different kinds of physiques, jetpack, wings, antigrav, etc.

if anyone wants to try the danger room, i made it an exe download:
brightideagames.com/DangerRoom.exe
on the modding side, i found a way to import .obj files. this means modders can create new characters, but not animations, but only if i make each body part a seperate obj file. which might be clunky. the only other thing i can think to say is if modders want characters, i am willing to import them myself individually. we are at that point very soon.

detourne_me

I LOVED that flight simulator bearded!
Heh,,, i was able to land properly too! The background music was a nice touch, and I really liked the collision with the mountains and ground... I can just imagine a Big Blue/Big Cheese fight in the sky now!
I couldn't get the danger room to work though.
got this error There should be 'DangerRoom_Data'
folder next to the executable

bearded

oops, ill fix the danger room problem, i forgot to upload something. a local playtester here discovered you can run up the mountain and jump off the top! its pretty neat looking.

hmarrs

Quote from: bearded on April 23, 2012, 07:35:28 AM
super flight sim! using skin by daglob, mesh by me, and animations by grenadier.
now, if i decide to make it a full on game, i'll need to work out a better terrain, and probably need some mission ideas.
also, probably will make different kinds of physiques, jetpack, wings, antigrav, etc.

if anyone wants to try the danger room, i made it an exe download:
brightideagames.com/DangerRoom.exe
on the modding side, i found a way to import .obj files. this means modders can create new characters, but not animations, but only if i make each body part a seperate obj file. which might be clunky. the only other thing i can think to say is if modders want characters, i am willing to import them myself individually. we are at that point very soon.
Wow!!!! :lol:I almost feel out when I was able to use the directional keys on the flight simulator!!!
Awesome.
I downloaded the Danger Room and could not get it to open.
What do I need.I'm at my job and I don't have either game loaded however since this was done in a different engine I didn't think I need it.
Can you help me out????

lugaru

Flight sim is a ton of fun, and yeah, somehow I was able to land without digging a trench in the ground so that added to the fun!

bearded

i'll fix danger room tonight. i need someone with leet hacking skills to see if they can get into the data files. any volunteers? i want to see if it can be modded better.
trench in the ground! good idea. i want to add ragdoll physics when he crashes also. and maybe a jetpack. press space and shoot forwards.

bearded

fix for the danger room:
brightideagames.com/DangerRoom.zip
and gave jean a new power.

DrMike2000

I've just had a look at the DangerRoom - thats a very impressive start to this project you got going there. The basic animation and pathfinding and all that stuff that we kind of take for granted looks like its working.
I keep meaning to have a play with Unity - I've heard really positive things about it from a lot of games industry pros, but never found the time myself.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

bearded

nothing to see yet, but i have perfected pathfinding, and am focusing on random map generation with procedural pathfinding.

Epimethee

If you manage to get these two feature reasonably solid, it will be a huge win.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

bearded

Quote from: Epimethee on May 21, 2012, 10:10:05 PM
If you manage to get these two feature reasonably solid, it will be a huge win.
and i did it!
took me three days, and it is a regular feature of unity pro apparently, but maybe i won't need pro. i seem to be able to code workarounds. procedural pathfinding, using raycasts.