News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

something big

Started by bearded, September 27, 2011, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimethee

I think the golden age characters is a nice idea. The plan sounds good – burnout is probably the #1 risk in this kind of project, so getting concrete results regularly matters a lot. Looking forward to what you're working on.

Quote from: Randomdays on February 03, 2012, 11:50:52 PM
A good multiplayer mode in co-op or death match, with a way to keep characters close to each other's power level, so you don't get the problem you had in FF multiplayer

I an ideal world, every game would offer both great single- and multi-player experiences, but MP is technically much harder and brings its own game design constraints. I guess the design choice is between customization (optimized for single-player) and play balance (optimized for multi-player).
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

doctorchallenger

Quote from: bearded on February 04, 2012, 01:46:34 PM
i'm afraid i'm going to have to go with some base campaigns, just to get me really started. i've decided to run with doc challengers idea and use public domain golden age characters. i'm going to start with some simple heroes and try to adapt the stories into gameplay. after i get a few of those done, i'll have the start of a game engine and various powers and stats. then i'll try to get back to character creation and sandbox play.
trying to create everything all at once was wiping me out. soon, there will be some levels to play.

I am working on a character bible for my concepts. It will be slow as I have a lot of ideas worked out in my head and/or on paper, but nt typed up. I will post somethings soon, but it will come in waves, to give fair warning - real life.

bearded

the really good thing about this is daglob has skinned a lot of these guys already!

Cyber Burn

Wow, there's alot to catch up on since my last visit. I will say that publi domain characters sounds like a great idea.

Xenolith

Okay, now that GA characters have popped up, I have something to contribute.  Is this the website you are using?

http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Public_Domain_Super_Heroes

bearded

yes. i look on it for interesting characters, then i try and find the public domain comic in cbr format. i'm looking at raven right now.

President Raygun

Just a heads up, Sioux City Dynamo skinned a lot of the characters from Dynamite's Project Superpowers, who are all public domain. They're up on NPI.

Epimethee

Quote from: President Raygun on February 05, 2012, 09:30:43 PM
Just a heads up, Sioux City Dynamo skinned a lot of the characters from Dynamite's Project Superpowers, who are all public domain. They're up on NPI.
However, the way the characters have been changed from the originals is quite probably not in the public domain. So one would be careful to avoid meshes and skins which follow Dynamite's specific interpretation of the originals. The same goes for the Marvel and DC versions of these characters, such as Daredevil, Blonde Phantom or Quicksilver. Also, the latter names are trademarked, so while they're should be OK for in-game use, you need to avoid using them to promote the game.

Caveat emptor: I ain't no lawyer.

BentonGrey

Ehh, if you want neat characters, Liberty Bay is a treasure trove.  I really wish we had that old thread with all the suggestions.  Anyway, I'll be happy to help with any brainstorming session.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

hmarrs

Don't know if this will help but I like going to
3DXtras.com
also
artist-3d.com
Tons of 3d models for free.
Buildings,Bridges,just about everything. ^_^

bearded

hey, BG, send me a mission type story with characters, i can work from that.
other than that, medical hiatus, i'll be back very soon.

bearded

brightideagames.com/WebPlayer.html
closer to a good control scheme. i think this is it.
things you might not notice, check out the pants legs, and arm cuffs. they are cloth animated, as well as the cape, which i think i have finally configured right.
also, click there to check out the awesome skin and mesh by daglob and tommyboy. this is the first character i'm going to work with, but by far the last.

spydermann93

Quote from: bearded on February 12, 2012, 08:59:49 AM
brightideagames.com/WebPlayer.html
closer to a good control scheme. i think this is it.
things you might not notice, check out the pants legs, and arm cuffs. they are cloth animated, as well as the cape, which i think i have finally configured right.
also, click there to check out the awesome skin and mesh by daglob and tommyboy. this is the first character i'm going to work with, but by far the last.

Nice work, Bearded!

The only issue I see is that if you switch to walking while running, the character walks at the pace he runs. However, if you just walk, it works fine.

I understand that this is just a test, but I'm just trying help point some issues out.

WyldFyre

Looks really good. The cape works well and the cloth cuffs are a nice touch.

And Kudos to Tommyboy and DaGlob for a great looking mesh and skin. 
For Freedom!

FF Museum Website: http://ffmuseum.org/

detourne_me

fantastic work on the controls.  i kinda dig the walk/run options. a nice aesthetic touch

BentonGrey

Very nice demo there B.  It's looking good, and the animation on the cuffs is pretty cool.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

bearded

brightideagames/WebPlayer.html
some new things to look out and test. start of the state engine.

bearded

temporary medical hiatus.

lugaru

Quote from: bearded on February 21, 2012, 11:01:19 PM
temporary medical hiatus.

Best of luck with that... keep us posted.

jeremy355

Hope you get better soon Bearded. The latest up date is awesome.  :D

Cyber Burn

Take care of yourself bearded. Health comes first.

ow_tiobe_sb

May you have a swift and complete recovery, BiL.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

Epimethee

Have a prompt recovery.

Outcast

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 22, 2012, 12:37:40 AM

This is what really matters Bearded. Get well soon.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 22, 2012, 12:37:40 AM

CB said it.  Feel better man, and don't worry, we'll be here when you do.
God Bless

cmdrkoenig67

hmarrs

bearded

feelin better. back on task as of tonit! jee and aics button broken! jee and ayjs? toni@4t.

Cyber Burn

Glad to see you back buddy.  :thumbup:

Epimethee

Gréât to havé you backgammon in shape, BiL.

(Stoopid auto-correction... I'll leave it as is for the sake of ridicule.)