News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

DC Comics Reboot

Started by B A D, August 10, 2011, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 27, 2015, 02:57:01 PM
The new JLA series would be good if DC go their time line together.  I want to enjoy the story but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking:  When did this happen?  Is this going to affect the rest of the 52?  Where does the heck does this fits in the 52 universe???!!

Almost like they didnt even care,right?  :blink:
Seriously thou,the continuity is very loose.That problem persist from 2011.Blame Bob Harras for having no clue what hes doing.
Just that they now decided to roll with it.Idea is that a new reader will pick up a book from #1 and understand it without knowing so much about the continuity,or the book being tied up with others.How much that worked...well,its a mixed bag for me.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Okay I kind of get it now. Basically it's canon but in it's own little world, kind of like a lot of Remenders stuff at Marvel has been. Meh. Still not really digging it, the other JL book already fills the void well enough for me. Really is a movie primer though. I'm just going to drop that one from the pull list. I actually got confused somehow and thought it tied right into the other series but it doesn't and I hate double booking so that that.

Silver Shocker

i did end up picking up the first issue of JLA and liked it alright, but didn't feel the need to pick up issue 2. The continuity's pretty loose/ambiguous and it didn't grab me. I don't now if I feel it has to play off current continuity to be worth reading, but it would help, and I'm enjoying Johns' book a lot more.

Incidentally I just bought a trade of the original Waid/Hitch run of JLA, which was the only part of that era I was missing. I haven't gotten to it yet (I'm finishing up Batman Eternal Vol. 1) but I'm still stoked about it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Speaking of continuity and Batman Eternal,there is a slight problem with the story.Architect.He and Batman imply that Gates of Gotham did happen.Only problem is that Cassandra Cain was never Batgirl in the Nu52,and shes in Gates.Not really that important,I just like to complain. XD
Oh,and Sinestro Corps has a Predator.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I like the current GL books. I had to dismiss placement though to enjoy them. More outside the books where it doesn't make sense that a character can be in two places at once (anyone see Simon anywhere, lol). Inside the books the story seems to acknowledge most Pre-FP events yet disregards who is dead or alive be that in the Green or Sinestro titles though. So I sort of pick up on it, say to myself " whut? That character is dead? (I mean I'm pretty into skinning these characters and have lists of who is among the living or nay)" then just blink and move on with the story. Still enjoyable, Sinestro Corps is the best right now imo though GLC is heating up. Larfleeze was the best overall of the New 52 ones but it stood apart on it's own like Superior Foes did for Marvel giving it a unique flavor.

HarryTrotter

I read Legion of 3 worlds.It was pretty good.Bit confusing for me since im not all that familiar with the Legion of Super Heroes.
In the end Superboy Prime is in his parents basement,complaining online about DC.Nice one DC,nice one...
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

All-star section 8
Martian Manhunter: I hear these voices,they are saying: You ****,you just fight other **** like yourself to preserve the status quo,you never really change anything.But as a superhero,I learned to ignore them.
Dont worry MM,its just Garth Ennis,we all learned to ignore his oppinions.Seriously,I liked some of his works,but the men shouldnt be allowed neer superheroes.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Well, I LOVED the Darwyn Cooke one, but this is rather silly.  :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bat1987

Like someone in the comment section said I wish these were done in the same artstyle, they look copy/paste as it is. I still like them, though, harley/gossamer one is pretty funny

daglob

Monsters lead such IN-teresting lives...

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

JeyNyce

BentonGrey

Ha, I like the Marvin the Martian one and the Starfire one.
God Bless

SickAlice

The Batman one with Rocky & Mugsy followed by the Harley Quinn one with Gossamer (I have a special place for the character). Love em. I'd wear a t-shirt with either of those images printed on it.

JeyNyce

Catwoman and Black Carney are cool too.  I won't be surprise if these covers does get turn into shirts.

Glitch Girl

Wonder Woman and Fudd need to be my new phone wallpaper.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

HarryTrotter

I know its been some time and DC doesnt want to clarify it,but did Convergence undo Crisis on Infinite Earth?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

No. It was an inwrite. So Crisis happened but something we didn't see originally also happened. Sort of like how when Marvel did Original Sin just for a comparison. It was technically undone by the reboot which Convergence showed though. I think I tried to explain this before but the gist of it is all those old past timelines happened, but they then Converged with each other and spit out the other side to form the New 52 timelines which contain elements of the old but are not the same canon anymore. So it happened but it's not past as far as New 52 is concerned though neither is anything else. It's not canon to New 52. It is canon and still happened to pre-New 52. Sorry I'm a little tired, I hope I explained that right. Just refer yourself back to the two spread pages in the last ish (#8) of Convergence showing the past and present merging timelines, that pretty much spells it all out.

HarryTrotter

If I understood it,the point was to make everything canon,just on different Earths.So,married Superman and Lois live somewhere in the Multiverse,just that Earth isnt represented in the 52-Multiversity.
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

Not really. Think of it as two separate canons. The one that proceeded it and the latter. Crisis is part of the proceeding canon. They're all joined at the Convergence event only and according to how it rolls out apparently always were but anyone was just finding that out at that moment. So in issue #8 the first spread page shows the dimensions/timelines (some) that are contained within the old canon, the second spread image shows ones that are in the second canon. Like speaking of my avatar if you ever read Homestuck it's pretty much the same concept that's played out in that webcomic.

HarryTrotter

I havent read Homestuck.
There are still only 52 Earths in the Multiverse?And the previous versions of characters are in a whole different Multiverse if I understood you right?
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I " think " so, hence the New 52 though I'm not clear on it and yet the writers play it loose now so that's part of it. And yes that's exactly it. Like two disks, Disk A continuity and Disk B continuity. Anything on either is joined by one event but otherwise isn't fully canon to the other. They played with a lot of temporal mechanics in that last issue imo was probably the smartest part of the whole series. I mind that it's just a matter of time before they shovel dirt over the whole concept and rewrite everything anyways, same goes for Marvel and it's current restructuring. Better to read the stories and not be bogged down by all that especially when most of the individual writers don't seem to be minding it themselves. In effect I consider the low road and that both companies may have in part made a " get out of jail free card " of sorts that allows the writes to get on with stories as they see fit and not necessarily have to mind every minute detail of continuity. After all whose to say what happened when and now anymore? And really that may not be a bad thing, I mean writers focusing more on telling a story instead of making sure every little thing matches up as well having to throw out story ideas just on the basis " they're not canon ". Quality over succinctness or some such thing.

HarryTrotter

JLA #3 Pretty sure thats intentional since Bryan Hitch was involved in both projects,but doesn't Rao look a bit like Apollo?
Also hes a more hands on version of Divinity,Im calling it right now.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Injustice was already a melting pot of bad stories,but year four works in Amazons Attack.Un-fraking-belivable.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

The first two years of Injustice was pretty good.  The problem was that they had to stretch it out because it pretty much caught up with the game.

HarryTrotter

I avoided Lord Havok and The Extremist because it was a Countdown tie in,but now that I did read it...I didnt really miss much.Civil War/Ultimates parody was somewhat interesting.but otherwise such wasted potential...
Jon Farmer

SickAlice

I wonder how long before Harley Quinns in comic appearance changes and mirrors the SS film one. I don't why that just struck but it did and I'm almost willing to bank on it.

BentonGrey

SA, she's already not that far away, but yeah, I imagine it will shift that way eventually, unless the movie is a big flop.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Bat-Mite #4This time he "fixes" Booster Gold.  :lol:
In the next issue(Superior Six) he will fix The Inferior Five.Hmm,who could they be parodies of?
Jon Farmer