How do you remove the gloss effect from skins/meshes?

Started by captmorgan72, January 22, 2011, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

I am using Gimp.

Cyber Burn

I just started using GIMP, but in Pant.Net, you can remove the gloss/refl or glow by creating a solid black image and naming it male_basic_refl or male_basic_glow, depending on the mesh you are using. In your case, just rename the refl to gloss. Hope this helps.

captmorgan72

Nope, didn't do the trick. It's still glossy and now very pink.  :lol:

Cyber Burn

If you want, send me the file (mesh and skin files), and I'll take a look at it for you.

ow_tiobe_sb

You could also simply undo everything you are instructed to do in steps 3-11 of this tutorial to deactivate reflection and glow shader materials on a mesh.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

Cyber Burn

On a regular mesh, where is the NiTriStrips located, I can't find it. Thanks.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: Cyber Burn on January 23, 2011, 01:51:48 AM
On a regular mesh, where is the NiTriStrips located, I can't find it. Thanks.

My apologies for the confusion: for the purposes of what you are attempting, you may treat NiTriStrips (featured in the tutorial) and NiTriShape (which you will find on most "regular mesh[es]") as equivalent.  "NiTriStrips" is simply the "stripified" geometrical data format used by the NIFTools developers who generated the gmax version of the NIF exporter.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

Cyber Burn

I'm really sorry cap, this is beyond my level of ability, but I sent you replacement tga files. That should at least remove the reflection from the skin. Again, I'm really sorry.

captmorgan72

No need for an apology brother. I just think it's awesome that we all try to help each other when we can. I love this community.

Amazo Version 2.2

question: are you using the iron man as the base mesh for your skope? or are you transferring the pieces to another mesh for your skope? do you want to permanently remove all traces of refl/gloss/gloww from the entire mesh, or from just the male_basic portionn?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

daglob

For what it's worth, I have a scope that I really need to just start over on. It's the Wonder Woman from the graphic novel Amazonia, and I put the cape from Male Alpha on her waist to use as the "tail" on her costume. The cape is now highly reflective and has a pinkish tinge to it. I made sure that both the glow and reflection textures were black and the correct size, and it's still funny. I'm probably going to just use another cape, but I'd sure like to know what is going on.

What I'm saying is, you aren't the only one this has happened to, and if you find the solution, let me know.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: daglob on January 26, 2011, 09:16:18 PM
For what it's worth, I have a scope that I really need to just start over on. It's the Wonder Woman from the graphic novel Amazonia, and I put the cape from Male Alpha on her waist to use as the "tail" on her costume. The cape is now highly reflective and has a pinkish tinge to it. I made sure that both the glow and reflection textures were black and the correct size, and it's still funny. I'm probably going to just use another cape, but I'd sure like to know what is going on.

What I'm saying is, you aren't the only one this has happened to, and if you find the solution, let me know.

i have limited skoping knowledge, very limited, but are the tga or dds files linked to correctly on the skope?
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

daglob

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on January 26, 2011, 10:04:14 PM

i have limited skoping knowledge, very limited, but are the tga or dds files linked to correctly on the skope?

I'm not sure what you mean. When you "block copy" with Nifscope, all the information that describes the item you are copying is copied, including links to the textures.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: daglob on January 26, 2011, 10:43:40 PM
Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on January 26, 2011, 10:04:14 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. When you "block copy" with Nifscope, all the information that describes the item you are copying is copied, including links to the textures.

The skopes that he and I had been working on, had the names changed from (.tga) to (.dds) via Nifskope. So, unless the correct file format is used, it's nothing but pink.

Cap, I'm still looking at Tommy's Iron Man mesh, I don't want to give up yet, but I think he may name things differently than other Male_Basic meshes since his TF_Based meshes are completley custom.

Daglob,
QuoteThe cape is now highly reflective and has a pinkish tinge to it.
, this is what's happening with us right now, if I figure anything out, I'll let you know.

Kenn

Daglob, did you copy from Male_alpha_effects or Male_alpha?  And if you'd like, you know my e-mail.

Captain Morgan, if you're willing to send a copy to Kenn (at) rcuhero (dot) net, I'd be willing to take a look.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Kenn on January 26, 2011, 11:37:32 PM
Daglob, did you copy from Male_alpha_effects or Male_alpha?  And if you'd like, you know my e-mail.

Captain Morgan, if you're willing to send a copy to Kenn (at) rcuhero (dot) net, I'd be willing to take a look.

If you get this figured out Kenn, can you post the answer? I'm always interested in learning something new.

daglob

Quote from: Kenn on January 26, 2011, 11:37:32 PM

Male Alpha Effects; I've taken the non-effects versions of all the meshes off my comptuer (but kept them on CD).

I'm thinking of using Superman Ren's Alpha Enabled cape. The "tail" is roughly triangular with the big end tucked in around her hips, so it needs to be alpha enabled.

detourne_me

I believe the trouble you guys are having is linked to the light maps and not to the refl/glow textures.
Sometimes in skips there will be a piece of information at the very bottom of the tree called OmniLight or something like that... When you copy/paste parts that bit of information is left out.
Sometimes this can be fixed with a solid black light map file... Other times? I have no idea... It's a lot of trial and error for me.
daglob, how about using one of tommyboy's coat tails or trench coat bottoms for your wonder woman? They are already alpha enabled and meant to be used around the waist. Umm an example using that mesh piece is the captain from nextwave. Or maybe Tomatos Sai mesh.... Not sure if that's the same piece though.

daglob