XBox 360 tech question - HDMI vs AV

Started by Uncle Yuan, December 07, 2010, 01:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Yuan

I'll put this up here as this seems to be the most appropriate forum.

I recently got a LCD tv and an HDMI cable to hook up my lap top.  Tonight I noticed that my XBox 360 has an HDMI port.  I am currently using the RCA octopus that came with the console.  Is there any benefit to using the HDMI beyond fewer connections to fiddle with?
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

detourne_me

Yeah, it's all around better since it's a high definition signal being put through

JeyNyce

If you are using the red/blue/green cable for video and switched to the HDMI, you will not see much of a difference.  They both do HD.  The good thing is you'll have less cables in the back of your TV
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Uncle Yuan

"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

JeyNyce

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to put you in a standstill.  By all means, you have the hdmi cable & port then use it.  All I'm saying is don't expect the picture to be X times better.  The fewer cables the better

Tortuga

Isn't one advantage of HDMI that DVDs will up-convert when played on your XBOX?

JeyNyce

Quote from: Tortuga on December 08, 2010, 03:23:45 AM
Isn't one advantage of HDMI that DVDs will up-convert when played on your XBOX?

Only if the DVD player has the up-convert feature, plus it would do that with hdmi or component (RBG) cables.

GogglesPizanno

As was mentioned, the upconverting is dependent on the hardware you are playing the DVD on.
I believe the Xbox with the HDMI ports will upconvert but I think its limited to 720p... some DVD players that upconvert will go up to 1080i, however my experience with upconverting is that trying to get a DVD to 1080 actually makes it too soft edged and blown up looking -- even 720 seems a bit processed to me, but its a personal preference thing.

As for cables, while both cables are sending a digital signal form the Xbox to the TV, the HDMI is keeping it digital the entire way. The Component cables are converting the signal to analog (as the RGB cables are analog cables), and back again, so there will be a slight quality loss. The amount depends on the TV and what other "noise" is picked up by the cables along the route (other electrical devices, other cables etc...). So if you have the HDMI option, I would use it.

Also as a side note, be sure to buy your HDMI cables online. Since its an all digital cable they are all basically the same... so there is no need to spend $30 for one at best buy when you can find them for under $5 online.

JeyNyce

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on December 08, 2010, 04:42:17 PM
Also as a side note, be sure to buy your HDMI cables online. Since its an all digital cable they are all basically the same... so there is no need to spend $30 for one at best buy when you can find them for under $5 online.

Buy.com has 4 6ft hdmi cables for $4.80 US

daerdevil

Monoprice.com is always a good source too with 6 ft costing $3.04 USD.  Lots of other sizes too, if you're like me and don't like wires all over the place (1.5,3,4,5 ft).