What are the best superhero games ever?

Started by lugaru, August 24, 2010, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

So I've been on a huge superhero kick for some reason, devouring every movie and animated series in my path. I dunno, comes in cycles I guess. So now I want to get hardcore into superhero games but I want some suggestions plus best of threads are always fun. I only play on PC and DS but feel free to mention console games too. Lets see, here are mine:

1) Freedom Force: you dudes should totally try this game out.
2) Batman Arkham Asylum: the detective mode is a "win" button but still it is a ton of fun and very convincing.
3) X-Men Legends 2: Loved that game. Spot on.
4) X-Men Origins Wolverine: under appreciated but that game is the best at what it does... being a wolvie game.
5) The Punisher: A weapon in each hand, foes that panic, interrogations... perfect punisher game. Very underated.
6) Champions Online: great hero creator, somewhat repetitive after that. Only played City of Heroes for a month so I cant compare.
7) MUA: great game but never actually finished it, maybe I should revisit.
8) Marvel Vs Capcom: ITS MARVEL VS CAPCOM! Gonna take you for a ride, naranaa naaa...
9) Spider-Man 3 felt like GTA spidey.. explore NY, take photos, have fun.
10) Punisher vs Nick fury, X-Men arcade game, X-Men Mutant academy... etc. Suggestions?

JeyNyce

If you are talking about a game that stays TRUE to the hero? then I have:

Freedom Force - Of course
Batman: AA
Spider-Man: WoS
Wolverine

Playing those games I truly felt like the hero and didn't feel like I was held down like some other superhero game *cough Superman cough*
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

lugaru

I have not played a spidey game in years but it is looking like Web of Shadows and Ultimate are the way to go.

lugaru

BTW want to throw in an honorable mention for Prototype... it is much more of a Villain game but talk about a rush, you get to be the hulk + carnage at the same time in a grand theft auto NY.

electro

#1 City of Heroes : Not only is it the best superhero game but, I think it's the best game ever made - To run around with any hero that you can think up & the characters feel really powerfull as you go threw the lvls - You can run around in huge worlds with your friends or try to hook up with other local heroes & lend your skills to the frey - To sum it it quickly CoH makes me really feel like i'm becomming a Superhero & any game that can do that get's the top slot :blink:

#2 Freedom Force : No need for description because we all know how cool this game is

#3 Batman Arkam Asylum : Finally a quality Batman game after all these years - Looks like O'l Bats beat Superman to get the first good videogame

#4 Hulk Ultimate Destruction : Hulk Smash

TheMarvell

-Hulk Ultimate Destruction
-X-Men Origins Wolverine
-Ultimate Spider-Man
-X-Men Legends 1 & 2
-MUA 1 & 2
-Spider-Man 3

yeah, I liked Spider-Man 3 the game. I know everyone tends to hate it, but I honestly, for the life of me, can't figure out why. It plays like Spider-Man 2 (which everyone loved) but has improved graphics and better missions. Will never understand how people can love 2 but hate 3. I'm thinking the movie has something to do with it, cus nothing else makes sense.

Web of Shadows is fun, and it doesn't follow a movie which is always welcome, but Spider-Man's voice is laughably bad and almost all of the "sidequests" are an incredibly tedious exercise in repetition. "First objective: kill 50 guys. Second objective: kill 100. Third objective: Kill 1000. Rinse. Repeat. For every enemy type." It's good, but not great.

Looking forward to Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions.

Can't think of anymore right now that I've played. Hulk and Wolverine are probably my favorites besides MUA.

detourne_me

Top 3 Modern games:
1. Freedom Force (and all mods/sequels)
2. Batman: Arkham Asylum
3. X-Men Legends (and all spinoffs)

Honorable Mentions: Every GTA Spidey game has been pretty good - except for the PC version of Spider-man 2 - I really liked Ultimate Spider-man actually
Wolverine was fantastic, I just didn't like some of the platforming elements
The Hulk games have been great too.

Top 3 DS games:
1. X-men Origins: Wolverine - super fun, fast and furious
2. Spider-man: Friend or Foe - The most underrated Spidey game for DS but my favorite
3. Lego Batman - Was almost going to put Justice League Heroes in here, but Lego Batman was silly fun

Top 3 Classic Games:
1. X-men 2: The Clone Wars - one of the best X-men games ever! Plus you get to play as Magneto!
2. Spider-man/Venom: Maximum Carnage - Probably my favorite beat-em-up ever.  Great soundtrack from Green Jello and a poopton of characters to fight; Shriek, Doppelganger, Hobgoblin, Carnage - Guest appearances from Cloak and Dagger, Johnny Storm, etc.
3. X-Men on Sega Genesis - The way to continue the game after fighting Mojo at the big crunch was mind-blowing

Honorable Mentions: The Adventures of Batman and Robin for Genesis, Batman for NES, Spider-man for PS1 - i just swung around the city for hours in that game!

BWPS

Theres a lot I haven't played, heres what I thought of.

1. inFamous/Freedom Force
I like to put these as tied.
2. XM: L series
3. MvC2
4. Batman: AA
5. City of Heroes (sweet character creation, awesome travel powers, boring locations and missions)
6. Spider-Man for N64
7. That really hard Sega X-Men game
Does Viewtiful Joe count?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

TheMarvell

forgot about Maximum Carnage. But I liked it's less popular sequel better: Separation Anxiety. Main reason being that it had 2 player co-op, which should be mandatory for any beat-em-up. Maximum Carnage, for whatever reason, didn't have that, if I remember right.

bat1987

No particular order:

:ff:
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Spiderman: Web of shadows
The Punisher
Champions Online
Batman: TAS for snes

Havent played Xmen origins : Wolverine, but I heard its really good, so I will give it a try for sure.

Dr.Volt

Yep, looks like my choices are the same as others:

1.  FF all the way (both games)
2.  Batman AA
3.  Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2
4.  BASH! UE (a pnp rpg)
5.  Mutants and Masterminds (pnp rpg)
6.  Champions (pnp rpg)

And I have high hopes for Spiderman Shattered Dimensions and DCUO...but waiting for the reviews before I plunk down that kind of $$.

Spe-Dog

Quote from: electro on August 26, 2010, 12:47:25 PM
#1 City of Heroes : Not only is it the best superhero game but, I think it's the best game ever made - To run around with any hero that you can think up & the characters feel really powerfull as you go threw the lvls - You can run around in huge worlds with your friends or try to hook up with other local heroes & lend your skills to the frey - To sum it it quickly CoH makes me really feel like i'm becomming a Superhero & any game that can do that get's the top slot :blink:

#2 Freedom Force : No need for description because we all know how cool this game is

#3 Batman Arkam Asylum : Finally a quality Batman game after all these years - Looks like O'l Bats beat Superman to get the first good videogame

#4 Hulk Ultimate Destruction : Hulk Smash

You got my list cold, but I would add Justice League Heroes as well.  Very underrated game, and I am still in mourning over the fact that there is no plan for a sequel.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker