News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

the sites that came before

Started by deano_ue, August 17, 2010, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deano_ue

while trying to dig up some dates on older stuff i went looking for the old FF sites like Electric and dragon sadly not all are on the way back machine. this got me thinking about the old ezboard forum. how many other boards and communitys was there.

hell of a shock when you look at how many FF sites there used to be

GhostMachine

Yep. I especially miss the Skindex (site AND forum, which was an EzBoard). But at least it died for a good reason. Darkjared became a father and couldn't continue running the site.

bat1987

Ya I remember Electric Freedom having tons of cool stuff back in the day, though I miss all the old sites.

BWPS

I remember when there was no Freedom Force and then Freedom Force came out and I was like "SWEET! I really like this game!"
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

USAgent

Of course there was the Freedom Force Community Center which I remember was a very cool and well build site that had tons of stuff on it.  Anybody remember who ran that site? 
FFCP was a great site too. It was a private site that was dedicated to multplayer but had special map packs, ez voice packs, their own ez FX.

lugaru

I have some long lost skins on one of the long dead sites (maybe electric freedom). I had a bunch of Mutants from Dark Knight Returns... including the leader of the mutants. Oh, and I also did a Robin skin from that book and a few more characters.

JeyNyce

I forgot the name of the site (maybe FFskinz or something) but there you were able to summit skins that you made for others to download.  I remember doing a Lego Batman skin to go with a lego superman skin that somebody else made.  I believe I still have them on CDs/ DVDs somewhere.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

JKCarrier

I remember the old Freedom Force Center...the "one stop shop" for skins at the time. I was just starting to skin when they shut down...I think I got one skin on there before they closed.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Yahoo ever decided to close down their groups. We'd be screwed.  :(

lugaru

It would be real easy to start up a site like that again... you know... one where people just upload since nobody is sending "cease and desist" letters anymore. I just doubt it would happen... but if it does I have a dozen skins I would love to share.

Cardmaster

Man, Electric Freedom was the frickin' best... great collection of skins on that bad boy.... :)
Sah-WEEEEET!
www.ericstirpe.com

Tomato

Yeah, I miss the old days... back when it was just skinners like Ink, GG, and myself, no C6, Murs, or TUE stinkin up the place... and half my skins were kittbashed in some way. Good times.

Yeah, as much as I wish the community was thriving like it was then and we had more people making content, I feel like half arsed content by pretty much anyone now trumps the best of what we did back then.

murs47

Quote from: BWPS on August 18, 2010, 01:44:54 AM
I remember when there was no Freedom Force and then Freedom Force came out and I was like "SWEET! I really like this game!"

:lol:

Quote from: Tomato on August 21, 2010, 01:30:05 PM
...no C6, Murs, or TUE stinkin up the place..

Please, I'm a fragrance model for Calvin Klein.

Calvin Klein: "You smell fantastic, what are you wearing?"

Murs47: "Nothing, I just got out of the gym."

Calvin Klein: "Your sweat, I must extract a sample for my next cologne! I shall call it Euphoria!"

True story.

Courtnall6

Ah Freedom Force Center...that's where I uploaded my very first skin. I remember that people would rate your skin and every skin had a rating from 1-10...or was it 10-100...can't remember too well I guess  :lol:
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Blkcasanova247

I miss all the old sites. Electric Freedom and the official FF forums...it's were I made all my FF friends. :thumbup: Ren, Court, Style, Bobby69(vertex), X-dud, Gren are the folks I probably was in contact with the most but when we launched FR it was like a clean slate. I kept my friendships and made more. The things I don't miss about the old forums were all the damn flame wars and petty fights. :angry: :thumbdown: I think that it was this forum that really brought us together as a community...the best one out there for my money! :thumbup:
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

deano_ue

Yeah, I miss the old days... back when it was just skinners like Ink, GG, and myself, no C6, Murs, or TUE stinkin up the place... and half my skins were kittbashed in some way. Good times.

Yeah, as much as I wish the community was thriving like it was then and we had more people making content, I feel like half arsed content by pretty much anyone now trumps the best of what we did back then.

ahh but i was around back on the myff boards just a different name.

Tawodi Osdi

I think I discovered Skindex when I was still playing The Sims.  I was intrigued by the Freedom Force skins, but I had my doubts about how robust a super hero game really could be, but eventually, I gave the game a try, and I am here today.

JeyNyce

"Living" on this site was like being in a comic:

We were hacked a couple of times
Members left and new ones joined
We had people who turned against us
There was even one time we almost lost this place

I'm telling you, all we need are a couple of good writers, & artists we could start out own comic studio.....Oh wait we do have some writers, & some artists, and Zapow did start his own Comic company.  This place rubs good fortune on people!

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on August 21, 2010, 04:56:49 PM
I miss all the old sites. Electric Freedom and the official FF forums...it's were I made all my FF friends. :thumbup: Ren, Court, Style, Booby69(vertex), X-dud, Gren

Just how Freudian of a slip is that?   ;)

Quote from: JeyNyce on August 22, 2010, 12:52:56 AM
This place rubs good fortune on people!

I wouldn't touch that line with a 10' pole!

....at least, not with my *name* attached to it.   :lol:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

JeyNyce

Thunder

Good times.  Good times.  My first skin was for an Electric Freedom contest i think.  Then there was Dragon Force and i really miss the GPL.  Ahh...Lichtenstein where are you now?

Blkcasanova247

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

bearded

is there a location for the Thunder skins?
I was always thinking, I'll get that one later, and now I can't.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on August 21, 2010, 08:45:37 PM

ahh but i was around back on the myff boards just a different name.

And I was lurking around but not visible to everyone except on FFC and EF and Kraven and..well, you get the picture.

Quote from: Courtnall6 on August 21, 2010, 02:46:52 PM
Ah Freedom Force Center...that's where I uploaded my very first skin. I remember that people would rate your skin and every skin had a rating from 1-10...or was it 10-100...can't remember too well I guess  :lol:

Ranking was one to 10.  A lrage part of my first skins were there (I think I hit my 100 mark there in fact) before it went down and I had to find a new place to dwell.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

AfghanAnt

God, I remember all of this. My first skin was Jericho using Dark Jared base and PS 5.5 and I submitted it to Freedom Force Center. Then I sent a ton of skins to Dark Jared for the Skindex. Too bad they closed shop. I loved that place.

deano_ue

shame so many are not even saved even as images and such

captainspud

I lost all my FF work in a hard drive crash around 2005.

I was too sad to try to rebuild it.

*wistful sigh*
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

daglob

I've asked before if there isn't SOME way to archive these skins (and meshes too?). I've gone through some old mods and seen stuff by people like Mandate and Supergirl AOA or Tommy Troy and I LOVE the stuff by Copper Age (who does have a couple of Yahoo groups). Stuff has been done to preserve the work of Texas Jack, but I would like to see more stuff by Thunder and Captain Spud, and posted someplace reasonably secure (a Yahoo group, if nothing else). I mean, it isn't likely that ALL copies of their work has been lost in hard drive crashes (other people's).

Man, I collect scans of old comics, pulps, and paperback book covers so I can study them-I do no less with Freedom Force skins. Besides, I have found older skins I like better than any of the newer skins ("Yeah, yeah, that one is newer; I just like this one").

If I had the server space and the know-how, I'd do it.

Outcast

I wish i had found this forum earlier. I think it would have made me more aware of the many Freedom Force fan sites that were pretty active back then. I'm sure i would have had a blast just to see all those things the fans did/shared. But i think there's still a lot of cool freedom force stuff being made available in the internet right now. And i think its even cooler that some people are still making new stuff for the game up to this day. :cool: 

Even though things are not as active as they were then, i'm pretty glad to see all these familiar names of people/modders still hanging around these forums. ^_^

Tawodi Osdi

I know I was planning to raid Renegade's site just a day or two before it went down.  I regret I didn't do it when I first thought of it, and some of the others I've seen looked fantastic too.