Treading Mediocrity

Started by BentonGrey, July 22, 2010, 03:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

So....the Dawn Treader trailer is out....let's watch as this franchise veers even more wildly off course and count the ways in which they are deviating from the books.  That worked so incredibly well last time......
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/thechroniclesofnarniathevoyageofthedawntreader/

I'm fairly disgusted with everyone involved with these films, and it makes it even worse that I had such high hopes after the first one.

:EDIT: Sorry to be so negative, but these books are just so amazing, and I had foolishly hoped that they would have learned their lesson from the last film.  I realize that the things that stand out in the trailer don't necessarily mean that they are abandoning the text entirely, but given the way that Caspian went, I am afraid I cannot help but leap to that conclusion.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BWPS

(This officially reminded me that I need to find the box set with jacket art by Chris Van Allsberg.)
I never did watch Prince Caspian, I don't think my wife wanted to see it. Maybe I just wasn't too interested, I always felt it was the second worst book and probably the least interesting overall,  (though still, it's definitely not bad, the series was pretty great). I heard it was good, I didn't know it wasn't accurate. What did you not like about it? I may decide not to watch it at all. TLTWATW (?) Was a fairly good movie and extremely faithful to the book, I really didn't like how creepy the kids looked, but not everyone can be cute so that's fine.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a really great book (tied with tiltwataw at third best I think). I don't remember it too well but I definitely don't see anything wrong from the trailer. It can't be worse than the BBC movies. Accuracy to the books is always appreciated with movies like this, but if it manages to be good anyway, I may rent it.
I hope they get The Silver Chair as a good movie, it is by far the best.

The Golden Compass, now there's a depressing movie that never should have been made. I'm pretty sure I said some bad words really loud at the end of it. That's probably why my wife stopped going with me to movies based on books.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Podmark

I hadn't read the books yet but I watched the first movie and really liked it. Never got around to seeing the second.

Oh wow I just remembered that I started reading the first book in the series a couple years ago, then I stopped for some reason, might have been moving, and forgot about it. I'm not even sure where I put the books  :banghead:
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BlueBard

I saw both of the movies (and read all of the books, though that was a long time ago) and I didn't think Prince Caspian was that bad from a cinematic perspective.  I don't remember being wowed by it, but it definitely had some good moments and some great visuals.  Whether it held true to the spirit of the series is open to debate, but strictly from an entertainment perspective it was a decent movie.

I haven't seen anything yet that tells me a whole lot about what the Dawn Treader movie is about, other than it's a retread of the book.  I can't see the trailer from this computer.  What exactly are you reacting to, BG?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Reepicheep

Who the hell is that talking mouse? I don't remember him in the books.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Reepicheep on July 22, 2010, 02:02:17 PM

Well, he was in them. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

BlueBard

Quote from: Reepicheep on July 22, 2010, 02:02:17 PM

Reepacheep.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

Benton, really?  I have no idea what you are talking about.  Most of the scenes in that trailer are practically ripped right out of the book.  The only major change is the bit with the White Witch, but that is clearly shown to be a nightmare from the Dark Isle, a place where ones greatest nightmares become real to you, and it certainly makes sense for her to show up there.  The book only says that characters see things, but don't really say must about what.  Other things are minor, at worse, changes.  Other than that, this actually looks to be the closest to the books of the any of the movies.  In addition, they have been showing version of this movie for months to Lewis scholars and Christian groups for months and all those who have seen it have said it's closer to the books than any of the others.

Rabid fanboys.  Bah.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.