What Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman would have looked like

Started by Midnite, July 07, 2010, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

QuoteWhile we're all debating whether the makeover DC Comics gave Wonder Woman was a good idea or a bad idea, a Hollywood costume designer has just let us know what Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman would have looked like.

Back in 2005, we all thought Whedon would end up tackling the Amazon for Warner Bros., but by 2007, he announced that "I'm no longer slated to make Wonder Woman.'' But at least these sketches exist to give us clues as to what we might have seen on the screen.

Looks better than the new Wonder Woman design in issue 600.

lugaru

I always said I had nothing really against the pants and Whedon gets this, keeping the iconic top that she wears. I still rather her with a little armor but #4 is real cool.

marhawkman

I honestly like the new look better than those sketches.  1 is too similar to what one of her junior proteges wore. 2 and 3 are silly looking.  4 is the only one with promise, but it's kinda bleah....

BentonGrey

Ehh...fairly unimpressive.  I like things in my comics to make a little sense, and none of those costumes really do that for me.  The second one is surprisingly terrible.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

murs47

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 09, 2010, 03:18:32 AM
Ehh...fairly unimpressive.  I like things in my comics to make a little sense, and none of those costumes really do that for me.  The second one is surprisingly terrible.

How does Aquadork's costume make sense? This I gotta know.

Podmark

I like things in my comics to make a little sense, and none of those costumes really do that for me.

Does her classic comic costume make any more sense?

I think the artist was asked to come up with a set of various designs. So we've got something very classic, something that's radical shift, and two variation of a contemporary look. I imagine many movies try to get a range of designs for elaborate costumes. Chances are none of these would have been the final design had the movie gone through, but I expect costume 2 would only have been considered if Whedon was going to try a different take of his Wonder Woman story.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GhostMachine

Top right is Wonder Goth, not Wonder Woman.

Of the four costume designs, I only like the top left and bottom right (except I don't like the belt on the bottom right design at all).

BentonGrey

Quote from: murs47 on July 09, 2010, 04:47:18 AM
Ehh...fairly unimpressive.  I like things in my comics to make a little sense, and none of those costumes really do that for me.  The second one is surprisingly terrible.

How does Aquadork's costume make sense? This I gotta know.

Ask and ye shall receive.  Aquaman's costume is armor, scale-mail to be precise.  Think about it.  He can swim about a zillion miles an hour, naturally has neutral buoyancy, and is not invulnerable like some heroes.  He can wear armor without it really slowing him down, and, while he is very tough, he certainly can stand some protection from your average laser blast or giant monster's claw.  If I were writing Aquaman, I would tie the costume into his origin as well (which is what I've done with the unfinished Aquaman campaign that may never see the light of day).  He would just be a kid in a slightly modified wetsuit in his "Aquaboy" phase, but then he would discover Atlantis, realizing that there was more to his mother's last cryptic words about a lost legacy than he ever realized.  Within the city, Arthur would discover his grandfather's Atlantian armor, and he would don the mail shirt to provide him with some extra protection as he led a daring rebellion......so...yeah.  I wish I had fish meshes.

Quote from: Podmark on July 09, 2010, 05:09:51 AM
Does her classic comic costume make any more sense?

Nope, I never said it did.  As a matter of fact, I said in the exact opposite in the other thread about this.  What would make sense to me would be something that looked more like Greek armor, like I already said. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

murs47

C'mon Benton, let's face the reality that Aquaman's creators got the inspiration for his design while feeding his goldfish.

*embraces Benton*

It's ok Benton, let it all out.

marhawkman

WW has worn armor inspired by greco-roman designs in the past.  But she always went back to the "classic look".

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 09, 2010, 03:14:48 PM

Nope, I never said it did.  As a matter of fact, I said in the exact opposite in the other thread about this.  What would make sense to me would be something that looked more like Greek armor, like I already said.  

I ah yes I remember reading that. I agree it would be the most logical direction to go with her. It doesn't quite fit her powers but it would fit her warrior mentality and origins.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

GhostMachine

Well, it could be worse; they could put her in something similar to Xena's outfit.....or the stripper from a biker gang sort of outfit Diana wore in the comics when Artemis temporarily replaced her as Wonder Woman!

Courtnall6

On Whedon's Wonder Woman ideas...

First one is ok.
Second one is terrible. I mean really terrible.
Third one is meh.
Fourth one is terrible. Too "Ultimate Wonder Woman".
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 09, 2010, 11:07:22 PM
On Whedon's Wonder Woman ideas...

First one is ok.
Second one is terrible. I mean really terrible.
Third one is meh.
Fourth one is terrible. Too "Ultimate Wonder Woman".

I'm right there with you.  That second one, if gone ahead with as the main look, would have resulted in blood in the streets.

My biggest problem with #3 is that the "belt" in that image looks too much like the visible straps of a G-string, which really only says one thing to people, and it's not something complimentary.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Reepicheep

The second one belongs in Twilight and no other place. Yes, it is that bad.

thanoson

Seeing that I like the goth scene and whatnot, I like the 2nd outfit. Just not on WW. But if that girl walked into my club, yeah, I and my gf would try to hit it.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!