"I can design a better Wonder Woman than Jim Lee" Challenge

Started by Blkcasanova247, June 30, 2010, 07:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blkcasanova247

So WonderWoman has a new look. Some are for it some aren?t. My personal feeling about it the new look is that it feels like a ?throw away? look and also kinda dated circa the 90?s IMO. I don?t absolute hate it but it?s not very iconic?it?s alright?I guess. With that said I started picking it apart and thought about how I?d approach it?I?d go less ?street? clothes and go backward with her look?sorta back to her original pre bathing suit days and armor her up a little to match the Greek warrior that she is. The way I figure it?we?ve got some good artist round these parts?how?s ?bout a little challenge? Re-redesign Wonder Woman?s new look your way? Rules?must be in continuity but other than that?nada?draw, paint, poser, skin, skope?whatever format or medium you want. Whatd?ya say folks?.any takers?
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

daglob

I thought about it, but I keep coming back to a red, white, and blue swimsuit kinda thing with an eagle on the front.

Blkcasanova247

Come on man...stretch a little...go against your natural instincts...no SWIMSUIT. :P :D

Courtnall6

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

murs47

Take the new one and remove the jacket. Then make the black pants the same blue as the star spangled underwear from her widely known look. Fin.

Courtnall6

Quote from: murs47 on June 30, 2010, 11:04:21 PM
Take the new one and remove the jacket. Then make the black pants the same blue as the star spangled underwear from her widely known look. Fin.

Sigh...

Failed_Hero

You have intrigued me I will attempt a redesign.  I will tread away from an "Ultimate" design but do an update, to automatically make her recognizable as Wonder Woman, but be an updated take on the Princess of Themisayra   
At the end of the day all that matter is that I tried, right?

daglob

The problem is that the star-spangled red, white, blue, and gold eagle costume IS Wonder Woman. It's hard to thnk of her any other way (except some graeco-romanesque armor-like the one from Kingdom Come). Kinda like Superman without the S and no primary colors, or Batman in day-glow, or Captain America in pink, chartreuse, and periwinkle.

And actually... her original concept included a corset and knee boots (and lots of bondage)

But...

What about red leotard and tights, blue-black boots and gloves, and an armored gold eagle design that flows into something like pauldrons on the shoulders?

Blkcasanova247

Go for it buddy. Again...Iconic is the key here. I'm not telling anyone to "change" colors or pieces that make her WW but I am saying "in" continuity...which means in issue 600 she gets a new look...hold back on the "cheesecake" aspect...maybe not all the way 'cause let's face it Diana is supposed to be hot. That said...no swim wear. Stuff that makes sense for the world she's in...what she represents. I'm starting mine and should have my pencils done in a day or so...time permitting.

daglob

Interesting... Windows 7 doesn't support my scanner. I'll have to see what I can do.

Courtnall6

This is an idea I've had for Wonder Woman for awhile now. Instead of the American flag design/colours...I went with the modern day Greek flag colours. I stuck to the classic superhero look(of course :P) with much less skin showing and the metallic parts were originally going to be silver...but I felt that lacked some zing. I think the gold works better. :cool:

Spoiler

steamteck

Court, thats actually pretty good. I could certainly live with that in the comics... nice

Reepicheep

Blkcasanova247

murs47

Well done, nice choice in colors. That tan was much needed. I don't get how one could spend years on a tropical island half naked and never get darker.

Courtnall6

:D

Quote from: Reepicheep on July 01, 2010, 11:40:43 PM
DC needs to hire you. Right now.

I would probably end up getting fired for telling a writer that his "bold new direction" of a classic character was just plain stupid. :P

Quote from: murs47 on July 02, 2010, 12:23:58 AM
Well done, nice choice in colors. That tan was much needed. I don't get how one could spend years on a tropical island half naked and never get darker.

Thanks! I darkened her skin some to look more mediterranean.

daglob

I hate trying to freehand on a tablet. Used GL of Carrg as a basis.

Looking at it, the eagle needs to be less organic and more mechanical, maybe stylized somewhat mroe than the one she wears (wore?).

Blkcasanova247

I love the colors...and I agree that the eagle needs some work. I like the intention behind it...nice work. :thumbup:

BWPS

I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Podmark

Quote from: BWPS on July 03, 2010, 09:00:56 PM
I stumbledupon this and thought this was perfect:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/image-of-the-day-wonder-w.php

Pretty good, but it still has the bathing suit issue. I like the restored tiara.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Courtnall6

Quote from: BWPS on July 03, 2010, 09:00:56 PM
I stumbledupon this and thought this was perfect:

http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/image-of-the-day-wonder-w.php

Meh. Not enough of a change from her classic look to warrant a change at all really.

Blkcasanova247

Ok...so here's the line drawing that I did for the 1st of the 2 designs I'm workin on for Wonder Woman.

This is more like how I'd wanna see her...a lot more buxom and greek warrior goddess

Next one is going to be very different...sleeker and more modern. Gotta send this off to my main man Mursy for some color. ;)

murs47

This reminds me of the Gladiator flick. Which is a good thing because I love that movie.

deano_ue

honestly i'd just lose the jacket, get real boots and add maybe a white stripe or something to break up the solid colour on the leggings

Blkcasanova247

Courtnall6

hmmm...I keep getting asked for a password when your pic tries to load FH.

Your Wonder Woman looks pretty sweet Cas! I really like the pattern on her greaves. Now where was that coloured version again... :P

Blkcasanova247

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Courtnall6 on July 13, 2010, 02:31:14 PM
hmmm...I keep getting asked for a password when your pic tries to load FH.

ditto.

Very nice designs guys, C6's looks like it would also be pretty cool if blue was red instead.