Super Booster IV: Martial Arts

Started by MJB, November 13, 2009, 08:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Like a ninja in the night, the newest Super Booster appears out of no where.

I am currently AFK* but I'm sure that a lot of you people can and will enjoy this pack.

So, to those who have purchased it, what's the deal? Is it worth $10?

-MJB

*=My cable company is truly screwing around with my connection. Everything is unplayable. Sux 2 b me.

MikeB7

We miss ya, Meej.  Hope it doesn't take TOO much longer...   :(

I had no idea this booster pack was coming, much less already out.  I like the science and cyborg packs better, but I'm getting ideas from some of the new costume pieces already.  And the Ninja Run power is niiiice.  Very fast.  On the lvl 23 toon I'm on now, normal run is 20 mph - with ninja run on, it's 37 mph.  Combat Jumping gives +8 ft to jumping height, ninja run gives +22.4 ft.

BlueBard

I will definitely pass on this one.  I haven't been playing lately anyway and "Ninja Run" is not quite enough to bring me back let alone shell out another $10.  If I wanted to avoid a traditional travel power and if I were more into scrappers, I'd consider it.

For those who want a bit more info about the pack:

http://www.cityofheroes.com/news/news_archive/the_city_of_heroes_super_boost.html
STO/CO: @bluegeek

RTTingle

Still no karate chop?!

Meh...

Besides that, looks nice.  Still going to wait for Going Rogue though.

RTT

Kommando

As soon as some cash tranfers to Paypal I'm going to pick it up.  I'm curious to see how Ninja Run will work with my Bane, who already moves like crazy.

Kommando

Ninja Run+Bane is almost like Super Speed.  One of the best ten bucks I have spent, and I haven't even checked out the costume pieces yet.

BlueBard

Does it stack with any other powers?

Swift and Hurdle are a given, what about Sprints or Combat Jumping?

Xenolith

Is there any solid news on Going Rogue yet?

MJB

I would say this is the wrong thread to ask about "Going Rogue", IMO.  Here's a GR thread 4 ya... !CLICKY!.

Back on the subject, I had the opportunity to play around with the "ninja run" on test (Thanks to Mikey) and I thought it was quite awesome. Thanks to my connection problems I was unable to see how it worked in conjunction with other travel powers.

BlueBard

{sigh} Curiosity got me.  And I got Martial Arts.

I have to admit, Ninja Run is a pretty good travel power that doesn't use up a normal slot AND it's available before level 14 (if you pay the money).

It does stack with Swift and Sprint for running speed.  It does not stack with Super Speed, Combat Jumping, or Super Jump.  It does appear that kinetics powers will also stack with it.

It has superior maneuverability to Super Speed due to the jump height, but obviously not as fast for linear travel and doesn't accept any enhancements.  Super Jump's jumping speed is technically faster, but I suspect Ninja Run is as fast or faster for linear travel because the jump height is probably less than 50% of SJ and you're not burning speed on elevation.  I'd give hard numbers, but I'm too lazy for that.

I really dislike the running animation -- it reminds me of some of the more unnatural anime poses I've seen and won't look right aesthetically for certain characters.  I suspect it might look decent with a shield, though I didn't try that.  But the tumbling leap rocks!

I won't use it on all my characters, but I will use it on quite a few of them.

Kommando

It looks great with a sheild.  At least the Riot sheild.  It actually makes the sheild look like its protecting you.