News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Kick-Arse

Started by Midnite, November 11, 2009, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

by all repports the ps3 version is horrible... think of JLHeroes or X-men legends... minus 20 playable characters.. you can only play as the three (kickass, big daddy, hit girl)  the graphics from what i saw werent that great,,,  but if you like the movie/comic maybe it would be worth it.
(im hoping someone will do a kickass skin...)

thalaw2

The idea of running around as an 11 year old girl killing people is pretty disturbing to me.  The ending of the movie left me wondering....
Spoiler
Hit Girl was trained to kill.  Nothing in her arsenal was non-lethal, from what I could see.  So if she did fight with the two bullies at the end of the movie would she be able to stop short of killing them?   I was hoping that the plot of the movie would show where she was getting some moral guidance.  Maybe I'm thinking too much.
革命不会被电视转播

Trelau

The movie was pretty good overall, but the one thing that did bother me is
Spoiler
kickass becomes a killer in the end. when he first meets hitgirl and bid daddy, he realize he's not made for this, because they use lethal force and he won't. In the end he murders 4 peoples with gatling guns and a rocket launcher. That's a pretty big twist of morality. Seeing Hit Girl murder people becomes acceptable when you understand she's been trained to become a sociopathic killer, she's an innocent turned into a weapon by her revenge-driven father (btw, Nicolas Cage wasn't as bad as i've come to expect to him to be)
But what's Kickass's excuse for becoming a murderer? The innocence of the character is what made him likeable, turning him pro-gun and pro-lethal force in the end seems too much like an excuse for a big finish, and it doesn't make sense to me.
Otherwise the movie is really enjoyable (bonus point for the soundtrack)

thalaw2

Agreed...except for the soundtrack...which I didn't enjoy. 
革命不会被电视转播

bat1987

I really liked the movie, they made some changes from the comic and most of them I like.
Some thoughts
Spoiler

Big Daddy is a much more sympathetic character here, Nick Cage was really good too.
Hit Girl was awesome, the girl stole every scene she was in like thanoson said, great performance!
The FPS scene where Hit Girl saves Kick arse and Big Daddy is hardcase all around, liked it better than the one in Doom.
I agree about the part where Kick arse kills, it bugged me too, it was IMO the only thing that wasnt true to the source.
He also gets the girl in the movie opossed to the comic, which makes for a more satisfying conclusion.
I liked the soundtrack too.
All in all they changed some stuff but they stayed true to the source which is what matters in the end. I highly recommend it.

Trelau

so, bat 1987, i take you read the original comic?
my disapointment with the ending lead me to not bother getting it but
Spoiler
if i understand what's you're saying, he doesn't becomes a killer in the original material? if that's the case i may very well consider getting my hand on it.
Also, about him getting the girl...the last scene with him and his friend lead me to believe he was single again (his two frind are with girls, he's alone in the center), was that taken from the comic without them realizing that it was in contradiction to what they did before?
Also, i don't know if the movie made money, but the open end with Red Mist could lead to an interesting sequel. Was there a story arc where red mist becomes the main antagonist, or did the comic book ended here?

bat1987

I did read the comic.
Spoiler

He doesn`t kill anyone in the book.
As for the last scene in the it was one of his friends that was single while he and his other friend were not. He wasn`t that lucky in the comic though, but I wont spoil it much for ya.
The finale with Red Mist was in the comic as well, with second volume coming soon. I really hope the movie gets the sequel as well.

lugaru

Comic:

Pros
Nastier
More political
Amazing art
Main character more consistent
Big Daddy + Hitgirl more "crazy right wing" and more tied into comics.

Cons
Being too nasty undermines storytelling
Obsession with worst case scenarios

Movie:

Pros
Funnier and more enjoyable overall
More supporting roles and characters
Hitgirl made me understand how a kid sidekick can be useful
Does not lose steam

Cons
Heroes are delusional but not psychotic
Tries too hard to please sometimes
The way things turn around in the last action scene

JeyNyce

I didn't read the comic, but:

Spoiler
I thought it was fine for him to kill at the end because, he felt he was the blame for Big Daddy's death.  He also said "With NO powers comes NO responsibility".  I guess that was trying to justify him killing
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!