News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Skin Viewer

Started by Tawodi Osdi, November 02, 2009, 08:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tawodi Osdi

I was wondering if there are any programs that would allow me to view skins in 3D without having to open and close  :ff: when I am trying to experiment with keyframes and such.

area34

Tawodi Osdi

I already have that one, but it doesn't seem to work on my system which runs Linux, but I tend to have a lot of problems with a lot the programs from Irrational's site.  I can't run FFedit either.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on November 02, 2009, 03:28:23 PM
I already have that one, but it doesn't seem to work on my system which runs Linux, but I tend to have a lot of problems with a lot the programs from Irrational's site.  I can't run FFedit either.

So im thinking that it probably the issue right there   ^_^

You could try Nifskope for linux, though I think you are going to be limited to only viewing the "standard" skin as it's a 3D tool and isn't designed just for FF and as a result wont allow you choose skins from a list..

Tomato

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on November 02, 2009, 04:25:23 PM
You could try Nifskope for linux, though I think you are going to be limited to only viewing the "standard" skin as it's a 3D tool and isn't designed just for FF and as a result wont allow you choose skins from a list..

Um...that's not actually true. Unless Nifskope for Linux is different from the Windows version, skins can be switched around by going into Render-> Settings and adding folders... ".\skins\(foldername)" is the usual format for adding separate subfolders. Granted, you have to do folders manually, but I'll usually just add my two most common and then use a third folder for specific stuff.

The main issue with nifskope as a Ctool alternate is that you can't see animations at the same time... so you're limited in that respect.

GogglesPizanno

Tawodi Osdi

Thanks, all, for the advice.  I've read a bit about Nifscope on this site, and I have been thinking of giving it a try.  As for the animation issue, one hill at a time!  If I can at least look at my new installs without going through using the character creation screen, then I wouldn't have to deal with my my computer freezing due to insufficient RAM, and this will be more crucial as a try my hand at skinning. 

The only time I need animations would be when I am trying to find the right keyframes to make a particular skin workout or when I am actually creating a character for the game which I am more interested in skinning and modding than I am in gaming anyway.  I am just weird that way.

Tomato

Quote from: Tawodi Osdi on November 02, 2009, 07:43:23 PM
I am more interested in skinning and modding than I am in gaming anyway.  I am just weird that way.

Not really... that pretty much sums up like, 70% of us content people. I'm just now getting things set up to actually play  for the first time in over two years...

Tawodi Osdi

I was wanting to get into skinning when I was still into The Sims, but then I discovered Freedom Force and decided that beating up thugs is lot more fun than picking out wallpaper.