News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Question about forums...

Started by House Quake, September 19, 2009, 05:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House Quake

Since when did the 'release' forum allow comments and become 'site updates and promotions part duex'?

I've noticed for a while that people had started commenting on some of the releases... which IIRC was supposed to only be done in the appropriate forums.  But I'm also seeing people 'update' thier release threads... which IIRC was/is the primary purpose of the site updates and promo forum.

Probably just nit picking... but those things used to be strictly enforced.

Podmark

Quote from: House Quake on September 19, 2009, 05:08:23 AM
Since when did the 'release' forum allow comments and become 'site updates and promotions part duex'?

I've noticed for a while that people had started commenting on some of the releases... which IIRC was supposed to only be done in the appropriate forums.  But I'm also seeing people 'update' thier release threads... which IIRC was/is the primary purpose of the site updates and promo forum.

Probably just nit picking... but those things used to be strictly enforced.

That rule was dropped a long time ago HQ. I don't like the updating idea much, defeats the point a bit I think. I'm fine with comments though.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

herodad1

OOPS!sorry guys, i'm guilty about giving a "good job" in the release section.i forget sometimes.i like to try and give a "awsome" or a "excellent work" right after its released.all the hard work needs praise!  :)

deano_ue

glad to know i'm not the only one, who gets annoyed by this.

laughing paradox

I can't help but believe this thread is directed towards me and my releases. I consolidated the thread of releases simply so it didn't take up more space than it needed. As this has caused a significant bother and annoyance, I intend to delete my release thread.

I would also like to share that I'm a generally agreeable guy and a simple PM could have resolved this with less of an issue.

House Quake

Quote from: laughing paradox on September 19, 2009, 09:49:35 PM
I can't help but believe this thread is directed towards me and my releases. I consolidated the thread of releases simply so it didn't take up more space than it needed. As this has caused a significant bother and annoyance, I intend to delete my release thread.

I would also like to share that I'm a generally agreeable guy and a simple PM could have resolved this with less of an issue.
Actually... your thread was more misplaced IMO... because there is a forum set up precisely for updates to your sites (updates typically include releases).  However, look at the release forum right now and you will see thread after thread being responded to.   I thought it was odd since there use to be a rule against that.. and the forum still states in its header not to comment and they would be deleted.   :huh:

Bottom line.... the Admins/Mods used to routinely do things to keep 'clutter' on the board down and keep the distinctions between forums clear.  There is no clear difference between the 'releases' and the 'site promo' forums right now (and truthfully the line has always been blurry).  I just think that either the rules should be enforced in the forums..all of them (such as request in the request forum)... or combine forums like the releases and site promo which serve similar purposes.  It just makes it easier for people to find the right information and make post in the right places, when they don't have to decide where to go because the distinctions between forums aren't clear.

If you were the only person doing this... then I certainly would have PM'd you.  But you weren't.   So i saw no need to make it personal... and you should not have taken it personal.  :cool:

AfghanAnt

TrajkLogik

House Quake

Quote from: AfghanAnt on September 20, 2009, 12:40:26 PM
Serious. Is this?
Not really.  But its the same guidelines as people are quick to point out like, "this is a request and goes in the request forum" or discussions about skopes and hexes go here... meshes go there... comics over there.  One of the reasons comments were originally not allowed in the releases forums was because there were dedicated forums already for discussing anything that would be released.  I know that many people probably don't really care what goes where anymore.. but I do know just a couple of years ago... people used to make major issues on posting what goes where.  <_<

I just think it helps keep down clutter and makes finding specific information much easier if you always know where to look.  Esp for newer people.  But understand... I'm more so saying that there is no need for a separate releases forum and updates forums... because there has always been a thin line separating the two.. now there is really no line since comments and updating of the threads are allowed..  But if they are both going to continue... then the original rules about them should be enforced to justify different forums.

Just my $0.02

AfghanAnt

Why not just kill either of the sections? I always thought they were repetitive.

detourne_me

I like what HQ is saying, sometimes i'm unaware of new releases because responses push the other threads down the page.
I always thought of the promotions and site updates forum to be used for things other than FF content too.  for example if someone needed votes in a contest, or something like that.

Ewzzy

I've been thinking about this too. It doesn't seem like we need both sections. I think that the site updates section, without comments would be best. I'd rather people comment in my skinning thread than in my site-update thread.

deano_ue

maybe we need a few newer mods, some that are a bit more active. the current mods have real lives so it's common they can't constantly be here

area34

If your interested in adding some new mod's, I'd be willing to help out. My day job allows me to log on through out the day and I used to be a mod in one of X-fans boards way back in the day so I have some "experience".

TrajkLogik

Has there been any Moderators responding to this thread? If not, then maybe they should be contacted directly with these concerns?

House Quake

Quote from: TrajkLogik on September 22, 2009, 11:11:15 AM
Has there been any Moderators responding to this thread? If not, then maybe they should be contacted directly with these concerns?
Goto the releases forum and there lies the answer.

stumpy

Yep. Sorry I haven't replied here, but I have been following this and I did post a sticky in the Releases forum. I also locked the threads that were already there, but I didn't delete all the existing replies in those threads. Going forward, I will check in and clean up those threads from time to time. Hopefully, people will read the sticky and understand that replies belong in threads in other forums...
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg