News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Question about Free to Play MMO's

Started by Iamrell2, September 10, 2009, 05:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berephon

It's been a while since I've visited (under the guise of Prince John, Lionheart's brother), so I thought I would drop in and say hi...and lo, I find a thread that has derailed into a discussion about my project's sister. (I'm a dev for The Lord of the Rings Online.)

It's good to hear that you seem enjoying DDO. The relaunch to F2P with microtransactions was a risky venture, espcially in North America and for a five-year-old game, but it's had awesome success and awesome feedback! It took me a while to get used to the controls, as they aren't standard MMO fare, but once I did I found that I liked the mechanics more than other systems (though I also happen to be a d20 system fan, so I'm biased.)

Stopman

"The new EAT is a Stalker/Controller mix!!"

Nymie_the_Pooh

I've been playing DDO for a little over two years.  I enjoy it, but feel I should warn people that it doesn't really play like a D&D game.  It's much more of an action game.  It's a great game if you can separate it out from D&D in your head.  Most people that I have talked to that didn't enjoy it went into it expecting to play D&D

You can get the leveling sigils as a random rare drop from some chests.  You also get some store points as you gain favour with various factions.  They've changed it a few times in beta, but if I remember correctly each time you get a full ten favour with a faction you are awarded ten DDOllars and each time you get a hundred total favour you also get free points.  I want to say a hundred free points for a hundred total favour, but I don't exactly keep up with it.  From what I understand one should be able to afford the first level limit sigil using their free points but I haven't checked on the prices for them myself.

Chronicles of Spellborne is okay.  The problem they had before was it really wasn't worth a fifteen dollar a month subscription fee, but it makes for one of the better free to play games.  I'm looking forward to the next iteration and am curious about what business model they have planned for it.