News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Question about Free to Play MMO's

Started by Iamrell2, September 10, 2009, 05:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iamrell2

I have noticed this forum is full of many insightful answers thus I have a question to pose. 

Since Dungeons & Dragons and The Chronicles of Spellborn have gone Free to Play

Links:
http://www.ddo.com/
http://mmohub.org/game/the-chronicles-of-spellborn/

Does anyone think this is where the industry is heading and did Champions ask for the two hundred dollar lifetime membership anticipating a "just in case" senario?  :huh:
there can be only one

Tortuga

I'm just downloading DDO right now (10 minutes left!).  I think microtransactions are the future of MMOs, whether we like it or not.  Personally, I wasn't impressed with CO and have my doubts that it will last very long.  The lifetime subscription is most likely based on average subscription lengths, etc and I'm guessing it works in their favour.  Not that that's a bad thing, they are a business and are allowed to make money, after all.

Kommando

Bah, tried to download and got an Internal Server error...

Kommando

Ah, after the third try I finally got it to work and am downloading.

Tortuga

Komm, look me up as Buckus Lastardus on the server that starts with an "A"...can't remember the whole name.

Trelau

Very nice! i'm a huge D&D/Baldur's Gate fan, and even if the games graphics didn't aged well, it's still a plesure to play in that system (yeah i know it's 3.5, the older one was better, and the one before that , and the one before that...). I'll see if the "oh my god it's D&D!" efects wears off by next week before i judge it ^^ i don't want to say it's incredibly cool and realise latter that the game mechanics sucks for example, so i'll be back

Kommando

Quote from: Tortuga on September 11, 2009, 06:06:51 PM
Komm, look me up as Buckus Lastardus on the server that starts with an "A"...can't remember the whole name.

I'll try that tonight once I get to my mom's place.  I've been playing a monk named Shinkuu Haiiro on the recommended noob server, but I can make another one on the server that starts with A.  Yes, I bought some turbine points.  I had a little cash left in my paypal account so I figured what the heck.  I like monks.

Tortuga

I'm also on the A server as Olbaid L'Agutrot.

Marmeille

I downloaded DDO yesterday (that took forever), I like this game so far, I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it but I would probably have bought it as a retail box, free to download and to play is really cool. I'm also on the A server Arganossen or whatever, I made a halfling bard called Marmie Meow (hehe).   
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

Kommando

Quote from: Marmeille on September 12, 2009, 07:13:27 PM
I downloaded DDO yesterday (that took forever), I like this game so far, I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it but I would probably have bought it as a retail box, free to download and to play is really cool. I'm also on the A server Arganossen or whatever, I made a halfling bard called Marmie Meow (hehe).   

I made another monk named Shinkuu Haiiro on that server as well.  Hit level 2 last night.

Tortuga

I've added both of you to my friends list.  Maybe see you tonight.

Kommando

Quote from: Trelau on September 11, 2009, 06:28:47 PM
Very nice! i'm a huge D&D/Baldur's Gate fan, and even if the games graphics didn't aged well, it's still a plesure to play in that system (yeah i know it's 3.5, the older one was better, and the one before that , and the one before that...). I'll see if the "oh my god it's D&D!" efects wears off by next week before i judge it ^^ i don't want to say it's incredibly cool and realise latter that the game mechanics sucks for example, so i'll be back

I've been playing since about 1985, starting with AD&D and OD&D (via boxed sets).  I think I've played every edition including the revised iterations (2.5e was those black books.  I think in Spells and Magic for 2.5e, they did a great job of reconciling 1st and 2nd edition rules.  I even have that web game, Dragon Fist, that was on their website in 1997 (Green Ronin subsequently got the licence to that, as Chris Pramas was the author, but nothing has been spoken of it since 2006.).  Since then I followed the evolution of d20, from the first SRDs released through its iterations to 3.5e and d20 Modern.  It took a while to get into, but doing various games in the system (including Stargate, Babylon 5, Monte Cooke's WOD, d20 Modern, d20 Past, d20 Future) as well as spinoffs I gained a real appreciation for the d20 mechanic.  The d20 Modern rules are actually my favorite, but I've quite enjoyed playing with the 3.5 rules.  I have to admit though, that one of the things that helped drag me in was too many years of playing Neverwinter Nights.  So yeah, this game is neat because I can open the character sheet and understand it right away, which is nice.  I'm familiar with the build options, and the feats for the most part.  I like the fact its a game I already know, and it likely has a similar appeal to anyone who has had experience playing D&D.

My long winded way of saying, I like it.

Trelau

You've played D&D since 1985?!? damn, I wasn't even born... I've finished the first fewbeginners  quest, and for the moment it feels more like a solo adventure game than a true MMO, but i have three friends who have just joined so we'll try doing some team quest to see if the magic still works

Kommando

Quote from: Trelau on September 13, 2009, 06:02:25 PM
You've played D&D since 1985?!? damn, I wasn't even born... I've finished the first fewbeginners  quest, and for the moment it feels more like a solo adventure game than a true MMO, but i have three friends who have just joined so we'll try doing some team quest to see if the magic still works

Yeah, I'm old lol.  I haven't done any team play either.  I quite enjoyed team play on COX and NWN, so hopefully it will be fun here.  One thing I really like about this game over COX so far is the maps.  The instance missions just look really nice.

Stopman

Been on for a couple of weeks already, mid-lvl 2 pal, Lucietta Renata over at Khyber server. I'll try making something over on the 'A' server soon.

I started role-playing games with AD&D back in '82, but moved to Champions a few years after that. And it was fairly easy to pick up on what was going on. So far, it's quite a bit on the h&s/click like mad experience. Still need to try out some teaming.
"The new EAT is a Stalker/Controller mix!!"

daerdevil

I was in the DDO beta.  It was a good enough system, but like most MMOs, not worth paying monthly fees for.  Too bad my Ranger won't carry over (not to mention I deleted my DDO install). 

Treslau: That 1985 comment was sad.  My AD&D experience was all but over by 1985.  Played a couple of times but never got into it.  Did a bunch of Gold box games years later, but Marvel Super Heroes was where I got my P&P experience from.

Kommando

I hardly even play DDO - but its installed and I'll play it if I have a reason to.  Ok yeah the real clicky D&D which has been all solo missions has been a deterrent to me.  I find I am still playing Neverwinter Nights online more often :p  Yes, the first one.  NWN2 is sitting in a box gathering dust (and its the fancy preorder version too).

BlueBard

STO/CO: @bluegeek

Stopman

Quote from: BlueBard on September 23, 2009, 08:22:26 PM
I may try this out.
Maybe you can make a Bard named Blue?  :cool:

Made a a cleric named Elrika Stormbringer on Arganossen last night, added you guys to Friends. Didn't realize just add first name...at first. :rolleyes:

BlueBard

Okay, the full game is still downloading but I've been able to play a bit on the 'noob' server (G something).

It's a bit clunky, but it's free and the controls aren't all that different from what I'm used to.  I could get to like it as a diversion, I think.  There are some definite things to like about it, even running solo.

I did roll some PC's to get the hang of it.  One thing I don't see yet is how to multi-class.  How does that work?

daerdevil

I think multi-class doesn't kick in until a certain level.  It seemed to me there's a tutorial thing at the beginning that explained it, but it was awhile ago that I played it.  I'm going to have to re-download this one.  It's funny, I held onto my beta save in hopes they would drop the monthly fee, and finally deleted it about 3 weeks ago.  Maybe I should delete Champions next?

Stopman

Trelau

i just discovered that i can't level up above lvl 4 unles i find a "leveling token". i know i can buy one on their store, but that kinda goes againt "free to play" in my mind. however i read that it's also a rare drop or quest reward. any idea what quest reward that might be?

BlueBard

Quote from: Stopman on September 24, 2009, 02:50:28 PM
Quote from: BlueBard on September 24, 2009, 12:44:15 PM
One thing I don't see yet is how to multi-class.  How does that work?

DDO on Wiki

Perfect.  Thank you!

I am also interested in Trelau's question about the leveling token.  What's that all about and how do you level for free?  (I hope you don't have to go through that every time you level!)

Marmeille

The leveling stones are a random reward that you can get from any quest, it will appear in the list of reward you can choose when you talk back to the npc that gave the quest. I got the first leveling stone when I was lvl 3, it raised my cap to lvl 8 (my bard is currently lvl 5).

The thing that really bothers me (kinda) in DDO is that the free play is like only for up to lvl 4, once you finish Korthos island and then complete the stuff in Harbor and Cerulean Hills, you soon find out that most npc in the Marketplace (the next zone) have a red icon above their heads and that means that you have to buy adventure packs in the DDO store to unlock their series of quest and stuff, there's still free to play missions though (I've seen some up to lvl 8) but like over 75% of the game is locked unless you are VIP or buy the packs, but it's all fair I guess why would they give more for free, they gotta eat too lol.  
Marmeille is the wisest cat ever, EVER!!!
Cool Cape is sometimes made of oatmeal (freaking unstable molecules).
[IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/marma_pix/CivilWarMarm.gif[/img]

BlueBard

I can live with that.  I don't expect this game to be a full-time obsession for me like CoH was but it's reasonably enjoyable even at level 1.  And it's free.

BTW... I rolled two PC's for Arganessen.  Boflex Whysperwynd (Elf Ranger) and Rytchyrd Blue Bard (Elf Bard).

One thing I wonder about... if the level cap is 4, what happens if I multi-class?  Could I advance to level 3 as a Ranger and then advance to level 3 as a Cleric and still remain under the cap?  Or does it count total levels?

Trelau

I think it's the total level that counts, otherwise it would mean that paying players could be at level 20/20/20 at max and that's just overkill ^^
but i guess you could be a level 3 ranger / level 1 cleric (or 2/2). oh wait, wasn't multiclass locked under level 8 or something?

Stopman

Got another character, lvl 3 Rogue, Peregren Tuckersty.

Having fun and might have to start paying...

BlueBard

Gotta say... I'm really enjoying the DDO game so far.  I've gotten my first character to the harbor at Stormreach.  The Misery Peak quest was a blast; navigating the caverns was challenging.  I had two hirelings with me on Normal difficulty and was able to keep a fast pace going.  I might've even gotten away with only one.

I will say that if you intend to solo a lot (or even at all) that your best bet seems to be to start with a rogue at first level and then multiclass into your intended class.  If you don't have Open Locks skill you WILL miss some treasure chests and being able to disable traps is handy as well.  Do not short yourself on Wisdom or Intelligence because Spot and Search skills are really needed if you're soloing.  Being an Elf with an innate ability to detect secret doors can help overcome this a little bit (but doesn't always help spot traps before they nail you...)

I haven't quite decided what my favorite "build" is.  Between Feats and Enhancements there are a lot of options even at this low level to keep things interesting.  Naturally my main character Rytchrd is a Bard.  (I also picked up a level of Rogue to help with the traps/locks stuff.)

Trelau

It's true that being a rogue helps in the first levels, but later you can find/buy magic items (usable or "clickies" as  the players calls them) with a number of charge of certain spell, like Detect Secret Door or Open Lock. I redid the first level quests when i got my first Detect Secret Door wand ^^.
If you intend to solo a lot i would recommend a cleric, since it's a good melee fighter with excellent healing abilities, and invocation to help (you really can't die)
Multiclassing is always tempting but you have to read the forum (or be used to the D&D sytem) to really make it work. For exemple don't expect to make a Warrior/Wizard, because they have key statistic completly opposed.
My advice would be: make a molo class for your first character, after a little while in the game (few weeks of play) you will unlock the Drow race (wich is the better for pure stat since its get a lot of bonus). Then you can do a second character, drow, and you'll probably know enough about the game to choose two or three compatible class and to know when to multiclass: you never do ? Lvl1/Lvl1/Lvl1 for example, everybody know it's useless. paladin get their first spell at level 4 so it's it's unwise to multiclass before that.wizard gets key ability at level 6 so it's the same. and so on

Also for free to play players who don't want to "waist" a character slot just to do what i've said: once you unlock drow it's on all the server, and you can create two characters on each server so don't worry about running out of space.

LAST advice(almost forgot that one): when you're level 3 in the harbor, try the Durk's got a Secret Quest: it's apparently one of the "key" quest where the chance of getting a leveling token as a reward are the highest