What games are you looking forward to this holiday season?

Started by TheMarvell, August 30, 2009, 07:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarvell

You know the "big name" games are always released in the fall and Christmas season, so what are you looking forward to this year? For me, this year seems surprisingly tame. There really isn't that much coming out that I'm that excited about. There were 2 games I was really looking forward to, but they got pushed back into 2010, and those games were Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Bioshock 2 was another big title that also got pushed back, but I wasn't anticipating that game as much as those other two.

With that said, the games I'm looking forward to the most are Assassin's Creed 2, and Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition. I haven't played Fallout 3 yet, and in a way it seems like it's this generations defining game. I was going to get it back in April, but then heard about the GotY edition with all the expansions included for the same price. The game is STILL full price at most retail stores, so waiting a couple months for that is a no brainer. Assassin's Creed 2 looks cool. I liked the first one, despite its faults, but I really think Ubisoft will learn from all the criticisms and it will be a much better sequel. Keep your fingers crossed.

The only other games coming out that I want to check out are Halo 3 ODST, Brutal Legend, and maybe Dragon Age or Alpha Protocol. But none of these games really interest me that much to throw down full price for. Oh, there's also Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, but I'm on the fence with that one for now. I don't know, there just doesn't seem to be anything that great coming out this season.

What are your thoughts?

Courtnall6

Assassins Creed 2 - Loved the first one...a bit repetitive but still fantastic. AC2 looks like it will have everything AC1 lacked.

NHL 10 - Not exactly a holiday season game since it's being released in a couple of weeks. EA Sports is making leaps and bounds with their NHL games the past few years. The "Be A Pro" feature in last years was great...but had it's issues. Hopefully they are addressed this year. The new "Be A GM" mode looks pretty sick as well.

Alpha Protocol - This looks really cool. 3rd person action/stealth games are my favorite. It will also be a good replacement for Splinter Cell: Conviction which was pushed back (again!) until next year...sigh.

Borderlands -  A role-playing shooter with 4 player co-op. Every game should have co-op...even if it doesn't make sense.

GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC - GTA VI was great...Lost and the Damned was great...I see a pattern here...

The Saboteur - Yay! More 3rd person action/stealth games where WWII is the setting :D. This game also has a unique addition. The game starts off in black and white but slowly switches to colour as you help thwart the Nazi occupation.

Lost Planet 2 - The first one was pretty good. The sequel has got 4 player co-op!

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - Loved loved loved Uncharted: Drakes Fortune! It was a near perfect game. Great gameplay, graphics, animation, and voice acting. It just needed some co-op. :P

Red Dead Redemption - I was sold on this game after seeing the trailer alone! Sadly it is pushed back until next year :(. I love wild west game settings...add Rockstar Games into the mix and all I see is greatness. The game Gun was good...but felt small...RDR looks to be epic. Give the trailer a view...I highly recommend it :cool: http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/agegate.html?ref=index.html

Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

laughing paradox

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Left 4 Dead 2

That's about it.. MUA2, but that's coming out soon.

murs47

TheMarvell

heh, forgot about Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. These are big titles coming out this year, but I don't really have any interest in them. I like the CoD series a little, but not enough to spend full price on, and I haven't played Left 4 Dead 1 yet.

One other thing I forgot was the GTA 4 "Episodes of Liberty City" disc that's releasing in October, featuring The Lost and Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony DLC. I really wanted Lost and Damned, but didn't have much HD space. Having both on a disc will be sweet.

NomadX

I'm definitely getting Uncharted 2. I just recently purchased the first game and I enjoyed it. Still have to go through the hardest difficulty though. Also, I played the multiplayer beta for Uncharted 2 and it looked decent.