News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

**SPOILER** Barry Allen and the Speed Force

Started by Tomato, August 28, 2009, 05:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Thought I'd open up a discussion about what's been changed or "revealed" as of Flash Rebirth #4, see what everyone thought about it. Namely...

Spoiler
the fact that the Speed Force is leftover energy created when Barry Allen started his career as the Flash.

Personally, I think it makes sense... mostly. The first time we were introduced to what inevitably became the Speed Force was through Barry Allen's fate during the first crisis, and it sort of explains something that's always irritated me about Wally's origin... It's one thing to accept that Barry got his in a freak accident, but the same thing happening to another member of his family within a few years? But if it's something tied directly to Barry... I can accept that as an explanation, at least. As much as anything in comics anyway  :P

Silver Shocker

I was a bit confused (does the Golden Age Flash, Jay Garrick, get his power from the Speed Force?), but mostly I chalk it up to not really knowing that much history. I haven't read Johns' run of Flash, or Flash's solo title in general, so some of the stuff they were talking about in the issue was a bit confusing to me, and hard to take in. I do like Flash Rebirth though,

Spoiler
Jay and Bart showing up to save the day and punch Reverse Flash in the face was a really cool moment.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

The Hitman

That means they'll have to re-retcon the meaning behind Johnny Quick's speed formula... which means they'll have to retcon the majority of Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle II's backstory. And they'll have to change Max Mercury's connection with the Speed Force completely.

Vertex

This came out years ago so I don't consider it a spoiler but showed that Barry after he entered the speed force went to that fateful moment that Wally got his powers. and WAS the bolt of lightning that gave him his powers. Barry's last gift to Wally before he left.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

AfghanAnt

Quote from: The Hitman on August 28, 2009, 09:49:09 PM
That means they'll have to re-retcon the meaning behind Johnny Quick's speed formula... which means they'll have to retcon the majority of Jesse Quick/Liberty Belle II's backstory. And they'll have to change Max Mercury's connection with the Speed Force completely.

Well in the comic they explained all of those things are his force because the speed force now exist all time and in all spaces or something...

The Hitman

Ahhh... I see. Makes sense. Sorry, haven't had a chance to get to my LCS in a few weeks to pick this one up.

Podmark

I don't know how badly the reveal affects past stories but going forward I think it might work quite well.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page