Updates on DC Comics Movie Adaptations

Started by Midnite, July 22, 2009, 06:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Ajax

Is there really any point following DC movie adaptations? If they announced they were going to make ten movies I would be surprised if more than two actually made it to the big screen or DVD. Their track record kinda sucks. Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Superman Returns sequel, and a host of others have all been announced then quietly died. Marvel was able to put out a Man-Thing movie, yet DC can't get there big three out there? Is WarnerBros the problem?

Talavar

Basically, yes, WB is the problem.  Up until recently, a whole host of studios have been making or potentially making Marvel comics movies, while all of DC's are going to be made WB because that's who owns them.

BWPS

Geoff Johns is working on The Flash movie guys. I dare you to try to find me better news than that. Short of him actually writing the script, that's the ultimate news.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BentonGrey

Yep, DC taking a bit of creative control over their movies is a good thing, especially with relatively solid writers serving as producers.  Johns getting involved with the films is something I find interesting.  

As far as the potential for an Aquaman film goes, well I'm sorta' trying not to get my hopes up.  Ajax makes a good point, DC has not had a particularly good track record with getting films out so far.  Also, the films themselves leave something to be desired.  I've only really loved one of the new generation of DC movies.  As I've said before, WB is the albatross around DC's neck.  Yeah, they provide access to a lot of resources, but they also don't have the respect and investment in the DC characters that is necessary to ensure that they are really treated right.  That is why Marvel has been doing so well lately, they have taken control of their characters and ensured they had good live-action homes, for the most part.  Plus, they seem to be approaching the whole movie 'thing' with a plan.  DC seems to have no real strategy to their movies.

That being said, Aquaman in the hands of Dicaprio is something I find...intriguing.  I don't know anything about this production company of his.  What has he made?  Were they behind Catch Me If You Can?  If so, that is an encouraging thought, because that was an excellent film.  They are taking scripts, so this is all still incredibly up in the air...I actually briefly considered trying my hand at it....I could adapt the storyline I've already sketched out easily enough, but my wife reminded me that I need to finish my thesis before I do anything else...

I'd really like to see Johns or Mark Waid pen an Aquaman script....

Aquaman Shrine broke this story for me a little before I saw it here:
http://aquamanshrine.blogspot.com/search?q=Aquaman+The+Movie%2C+For+Reals%3F+
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

TheMarvell

DC has other characters besides Batman and Superman? ...huh :huh:

</sarcasm> :P

The Hitman

docdelorean88

I'm still waiting for the earths greatest champion to make a live action appearence. I can see the trailer already:
When the earth is littered and smogged, when no one will pick up they're trash, when Gaia her self is rendered helpless, There is only one man who can fix the worlds polution. The fate of the world lies in the combined powers of five magic rings.
Earth Day, 2012.
THE POWER IS YOURS
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Gremlin

Quote from: docdelorean88 on July 24, 2009, 07:16:29 PM
I'm still waiting for the earths greatest champion to make a live action appearence. I can see the trailer already:
When the earth is littered and smogged, when no one will pick up they're trash, when Gaia her self is rendered helpless, There is only one man who can fix the worlds polution. The fate of the world lies in the combined powers of five magic rings.
Earth Day, 2012.
THE POWER IS YOURS

I have given extensive thought lately to a Captain Planet revamp, actually. Not really a revamp...just delving more thoroughly into the history of Gaia and Cap, giving the villains more realistic motivations, etc.

docdelorean88

Quote from: Gremlin on July 25, 2009, 04:45:50 PM
Quote from: docdelorean88 on July 24, 2009, 07:16:29 PM
Earth Day, 2012.
THE POWER IS YOURS

I have given extensive thought lately to a Captain Planet revamp, actually. Not really a revamp...just delving more thoroughly into the history of Gaia and Cap, giving the villains more realistic motivations, etc.
I had been thinking alot about this too. Eco-terrorism could be a motive. I also think that Power Rangers had  actual plot potential(it was becoming a show for adaults as well as kids) until parents complained about an excess of violence.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"