Hitman Reviews The Movies - NOW WITH PODCASTS!

Started by The Hitman, July 18, 2009, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hitman

Hey guys, I have a favor to ask. I set up a "Suggestions Thread" over at the Major Spoilers Forum. If anyone has any suggestions, could you kindly send 'em my way?

Here's the thread:

http://www.majorspoilers.com/smf/index.php/topic,1078.msg3751.html

Or you can post 'em here. Thanks!

docdelorean88

Quote from: The Hitman on September 11, 2009, 01:45:08 PM
PMs have been sent, gents. Anyone else curious can get in to it as well.
I am cruious as well. Btw, that was a great review! I remember seeing this and loving it for its quirky offbeatness! It is in no way an amazing film, but it is a fun family friendly(for the most part) movie, with some great covers of great songs!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

The Hitman

The Hitman

The Hitman

Oops, I've been so busy lately I forgot to post my latest review:

DVD Review: Unbreakable

Oh, and I had the chance to go to Mid-Ohio Con this year, and did a little write-up about it. It has pictures!!

Mid-Ohio Con '09: The Overview

So, for the next review, I'm either gonna cover The Shadow, The Phantom, or The Rocketeer. Any preference?

BWPS

Review the awesome movie before the mediocre and terrible ones.
Rocketeer, The Shadow, and The Phantom respectively.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

The Hitman

detourne_me

Interesting take Hitman. I'd say you hit the middle-ground point-of-view in reviewing this movie.

Like any other reviewer you went for the predictable it looks nice, but there's no story angle. Well, I for one believe you didn't go deep enough. You started to touch on it with the USB port analogy, but didn't quite get there.

The real story, like so many of James Cameron's other Sci-Fi films goes beyond the simple narrative.
There are themes of isolation and interconnectedness throughout the movie that should cause us to examine how or why the Na'vi are so great, while humans aren't.
The Navi use a technology just as the humans do, augmenting bodies to go beyond their natural limitations (a very explicit predicament, as the main star is confined to a wheelchair).
While Cameron has explored before in Aliens the monstrous augmentation of bodies, here it seems almost sublime, even revered by Lang's character.
The troubling thing is that the Navi are able to use technology effectively AND coexist with nature by sole virtue of their genetic makeup, something humans truly lack.

Even the audience isn't genetically capable of witnessing this dream of James Cameron's come to fruition without technological aid (the 3d glasses)

Anyway, I just find it interesting the intricacies of the two societies that are presented.
Heck I've seen the film twice now in 3D and I still haven't got my bearings straight on it yet.

Trelau

I've seen avatar and...meh. It's pocahontas with a 300 millions dollars buget. And 3d glasses.

JeyNyce

Quote from: The Hitman on December 22, 2009, 09:15:01 PM
Back from a 2 month hiatus:

Movie Review: Avatar

That is the most honest review I ever read about this movie.  When are you going to do Sherlock Holmes?  I'm going to see it this weekend.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Previsionary

Quote from: JeyNyce on December 23, 2009, 09:39:46 PM
Quote from: The Hitman on December 22, 2009, 09:15:01 PM
Back from a 2 month hiatus:

Movie Review: Avatar

That is the most honest review I ever read about this movie.  When are you going to do Sherlock Holmes?  I'm going to see it this weekend.

I second the sherlock holmes review!
Disappear when you least expe--

bredon7777

Quote from: Trelau on December 23, 2009, 12:11:31 PM
I've seen avatar and...meh. It's pocahontas with a 300 millions dollars buget. And 3d glasses.

Yup. You're supposed to be so distracted by the pretty effects and strong performances (from everyone EXCEPT the male lead, oddly enough) that you don't notice how utterly predictable, cliche-ridden, and overly preachy the script is.

It drives me up a wall that "Sherlock Holmes", a film that is better in every way save for visual effects keeps coming in second to this overblown, albeit pretty piece of tripe.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

thalaw2

From the trailers of Avatar I was uninterested.  The interviews with the stars and JC himself made me even less interested.  I think I will pass on this all together.  I will give Sherlock Holmes a good look given suggestion from you all and others.
革命不会被电视转播

The Hitman

Another 2 months later...

DVD Review: Batman ? 20 years later

And I guarentee, there will be less time between this review and the next.

JeyNyce

The Hitman

No, I'm just a "contributing writer." But one can dream, right?

The Hitman

2 reviews in less than a month?! Must be some kind of record!

From the Vault: Justice League of America (1997)

detourne_me

i'm glad you wrote that,  I tried to watch it but gave p about a quarter into part 2... ugh!
I agree wholeheartedly with your review

chuckles

I need to admit that........I watched this when it was broadcast, and I still feel violated by the experience.

The Hitman

Kenn

I could have warned you. 

I was disappointed with this film when I saw it when I was 11...  when it was first broadcast.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

The Hitman

JeyNyce

Quote from: The Hitman on September 10, 2009, 09:05:54 PM
Well, the long and short of it is, I picked the wrong movie to review, and the Wrath of the Fanboy came down hard. The site moderator spent all yesterday morning deleting flagrant attack messages. He sent me the worst one, and man... I've never been hated on that much before. It was almost funny. I can post it if anyone wants to read it.

But good news! I can still write reviews! I just can't pick the movies i review until further notice.

Welcome to the internet.  Now you know how video game, movies, and other companies feels.  Don't take it personal, and you still can review movies.

Uncle Yuan

Sigh.  Love the Muppet Movie.  Such a wonderful film.  I really need to put it on my Netflix queue.  Again.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

The Hitman

Panther_Gunn

Overall, a good review, however I'm disappointed that you put all of the blame for the behind-the-scenes controversy on the studio.  The *real* reason all of that went down was the Salkinds and their way of making movies.  They didn't like Donnor because he wouldn't mindlessly bow down to their wishes.  The only positive thing the Salkinds really did was bring the Superman family (Superman, Supergirl, Superboy) back to the screens, live-action.  Anything that resembles quality in any of those products is totally due to quality actors, writers, and directors (which were sometimes sorely lacking).
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.