News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

How do you install a mod?

Started by dmdouble0, May 28, 2009, 03:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmdouble0

Hello. I've been away from freedom force for awhile. I played some mods on the original, but just picked up the new one :ffvstr:. How do I install a mod. I just beet the game and I want to keep playing.

Previsionary

Disappear when you least expe--

triad4evr

Can anyone walk me through how to install the Suicide Squad mod (it is the complete version, just a single exe file) with the new Steam version of Freedom Force- I thought I did everything right, but it's still just running the normal Freedom Force when I click on the mod shortcut I made. Also, if it matters, I'm under Windows XP Pro. I'm also having trouble running the Legion of Superheroes Mod with an old-school installation of FFVtTR but the Suicide Squad one is the one I _really_ wanna get working again. I loved that mod back in the day... Thanks for your help!

stumpy

It's tough to tell without more info, but the first check is that the shortcut is set up properly. Check out the Game FAQ for some info on that. If you still aren't sure, then post your exact "Target" and "Start in" fields from the mod's shortcut and we can look at them.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

triad4evr

Okay, got LSH working fine with my non-Steam version of FFVtTR and I'm re-installing my Steam version of Freedom Force and will get back to you on where things end up. Steam seems to have a peculiar place of putting things- under Documents and Settings, then some subfolder there... I will put up more if I can't figure it out once it re-installs again. Thanks!

triad4evr

After a couple tries, I got it working right! Thanks so much everyone! I'm so happy!

wickerman

Quote from: triad4evr on June 19, 2009, 06:42:33 AM
After a couple tries, I got it working right! Thanks so much everyone! I'm so happy!

Come back when you reach the ninja mission in Suicide Squad..  Your happiness will be muted at best...   there is an unoffical support group for Suicidal fans of Suicide Squad - you will not be alone.
The Wickerman - creator of the Metal Storm Mod -
[img]http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wickermanim/cw.jpg[/img]

triad4evr

Oh I know about the almost unwinnable Ninja mission. I will probably just skip ahead to the next savegame. Last time though I had to change a timer or something, but I haven't got the faintest recollection of what went into that.

So where is this support group? :)

Oh, hey, also, I've got that old alpha-capes _not_ alpha-ing out problem with Deadshot and Pantomime- what was the fix to that?

justinfrost43

trying to get suicide squad running in steam cant get the shortcut to work, any suggestions?

justinfrost43

I got the following in the Target "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force\fforce.exe" -game suicidesquad
and the following in the Start in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force\"
every time I try to get it to start it just goes into the regular unmodded game.

spydermann93

Quote from: justinfrost43 on February 04, 2016, 12:22:30 AM
I got the following in the Target "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force\fforce.exe" -game suicidesquad -log
and the following in the Start in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force\suicidesquad\..\"
every time I try to get it to start it just goes into the regular unmodded game.

I don't remember how the shortcuts worked for FF, but if they're like FFvtTR, then all that you should need to do is add what's in bold.

EDIT: Forgot the " -log" after "-game suicidesquad"

justinfrost43

captainawesome

I played this mod on  :ff: a really long time ago. I don't have the disc anymore, so I got the steam version a little while back and was actually having a lot of trouble getting this mod to work on it. I tried the steps listed here, but keep getting the message "CTSListBase: Misaligned list" when I try to launch (and nothing else launches). I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong (which, admittedly, is probably something obvious which I'm overlooking). If anyone happens to know how to fix that, then I would be most appreciative.

BentonGrey

Howdy CA, I'm afraid that's an error message I haven't seen before.  I'd recommend doing a search on the old, archived forums for that. 

As far as general advice, I'd try telling Steam to verify the files for FF, as I had it screw things up occasionally in Windows 8.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

CoolTieGuy

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I've been trying to install the Teen Titans mod for FF1. The installer will begin installing the files, but then stops when one of the character's keyframe files contains invalid data. I found a copy of the keyframes elsewhere, so replacing a corrupted file wouldn't be a problem. However, the installer won't actually keep installing files beyond the point of the error message despite me clicking to continue despite the error. There's probably a way to fix this, but I am of woeful technical skill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BentonGrey

Hmm, I'd recommend redownloading the mod to start with.  Maybe you just got a bad download.  If that doesn't work, one of us could probably just zip the mod up and send it your way.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

captainawesome

Thanks for the advice, Benton. The archived forums were helpful. It turns out that running the game normally, exiting, and then starting up the mod bypasses the error somehow.

BentonGrey

You're quite welcome CA! 

Weird!  Score one for the wisdom of the past. :)
God Bless

CoolTieGuy

I tried redownloading it. This time it would say that the nif file was bad instead of the keyframes (same character producing the error as last time). It again would refuse to continue the install, so having the replacement for the error file isn't much help. I found the mod at the FRP2 backup. Is there somewhere else where it could be downloaded from?