some news on future Marvel films (Iron Man 2, Spidey 4, Fantastic Four)

Started by TheMarvell, March 12, 2009, 05:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danhagen

Yes, Doom was TERRIBLE. They didn't understand or respect the character at all. Even his voice was totally wrong for the part.
Veritas et probitas super omnia.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteIf they can pull off a better version, I'm all for it, but it's most likely just going to confuse the hell out of people because the first movies JUST came out.

But the success of the new Hulk movie proves that people can just ignore an earlier version, even if it was very recent.

At any rate, I was happy with the Hulk reboot, but I'm not sure it's necessary with the Fan 4.  The 2nd movie did fix a lot of the problems I had with the first one, and if they leave Doom out of a future one, it could be quite good.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

danhagen

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm not personally a huge fan of the rest of the cast either, with the exception of the Thing.  That actor just about nailed the character, IMO.  Of course, he's the only one who was actually a fan of the comics even before being in the movie, so that only makes sense that he'd get it.

UnkoMan

Wow, I wish I was more sober right now, so I could talk about this more clearly.

Instead I'll blurt out whatever comes to mind. Ah ha!

Fantastic Four... as a group? They are awesome. Who doesn't think they are awesome? Are you a fool? The made "superheroes" into regular folks. A bunch of (fairly) normal people get amazing powers? And then they decide to adventure and explore. Also, anybody who thinks Mr. Fantastic has lame powers is fooling themselves. Being able to stretch is friggin' awesome. Listen, here's what I thought about FF1. That movie had the characters essentially down, but... the writing was horrible and the plot was horrible. Oh, and of course, Dr. Doom was pretty horrible. Reed, Johnny & Ben all had decent actors though. Seriously, Horatio Hornblower? Way sweet. I think the problem was the material they had to work with. FF2? Well, let's not go there. At least Silver Surfer LOOKED sweet. They need to be able to treat these characters like real people. I don't want Fantastic Four to get "darker." They aren't dark. They are just normal people dealing with what life has put before them. They've been granted incredible powers that they don't really want, but have decided that all they can do now is incredible things. So they do that.

There was actually a very moving comic... I believe it was put out on one of those free comic days... It explains that Reed Richards was terribly regretful for turning them all into "freaks," so he decided the only thing to do was make them incredibly famous and having them go on daring adventures so they wouldn't all fall into a hopeless spiral of self pity and despair. I think this is perfect. This, and all those Franklin Richards shorts where he's hanging out with HERBIE and causing trouble.

I also think if they do a new movie they should forget the origin. Everybody knows it anyhow. It isn't important. Just start them off as the world famous Fantastic Four. Have Reed discover the Negative Zone and have them fight Annihilus for the first time. Rip off most of the plot from actual comics and have dialogue written by people who know what they are doing. Don't make Reed the world's dumbest smart guy, but do have him be unintentionally cold sometimes. Yes, he feels, but he burries his emotions. He doesn't want people to know he's vulnerable. Thing, on the other hand, wears his heart on his sleave. He's constantly tormented. But if he's got Alicia, he'll be a bit less so. Johnny, while being flamboyant and showy still should deeply care about his family. And Sue... Sue's the glue. She holds them together.

Just don't have it anything like this parody I did: http://sjhftac.comicgenesis.com/fantasticfour/01.html

Like I said, though, I am drunk and just blah blahing. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Gremlin

B A D

PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

detourne_me

docdelorean88

Alright, in order to keep the idea that the last two F4 movies weren't the worst,(forgive me for this by the way) i'm linking you to this...

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omKd_bUQlXo
Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjPOr3l69K4
Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7SHWyH_JY
Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmdblGvsfKk
Part Five: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdYqhHELEg
Part Six: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfu89g7AiE
Part Seven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDY5QeDxObo
Part Eight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE3UcNUacf8
Part Nine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9okgD44w8

(Dodges tomatoes and cabbage for wasting peoples time)
Amd if you didn't know about this, or just want to know more:
Wikipedia The Fantistic Four (film) page
(Dodges even more tomatoes and cabbage!)

[edit: tweaked broken URL - stumpy]
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, keep in mind that that particular film was made specifically so that another company (the one that eventually made the two films) would pay them not to release it.  That and they had to make a film so they could keep, and then sell, the rights to it.

Of course the rights would be worthless with a badly done FF4 film recently released, so they could get the company to pay them for the privilege of not having to worry about this.  The fee was more than the cost of making the film, so the movie made a profit without ever being released.

TheMarvell

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 13, 2009, 04:14:17 PM
QuoteIf they can pull off a better version, I'm all for it, but it's most likely just going to confuse the hell out of people because the first movies JUST came out.

But the success of the new Hulk movie proves that people can just ignore an earlier version, even if it was very recent.

At any rate, I was happy with the Hulk reboot, but I'm not sure it's necessary with the Fan 4.  The 2nd movie did fix a lot of the problems I had with the first one, and if they leave Doom out of a future one, it could be quite good.

Was the reboot as successful as they thought it would be? Just going by personal experience, a lot of people I talked to in person referred to this movie as "Hulk 2" and were actually surprised to find out the truth from me. I know that doesn't speak for everybody, or even the general public, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people didn't bother to see the Hulk reboot because they thought it was a sequel to a movie they didn't like, or were confused as to what it really was.

I feel like with Fantastic 4 it would be even more confusing since there has already been a sequel released.  I'm not saying it wouldn't work (because I think, for the most part, it worked with the Hulk) but I think since there has been two movies released, a lot more people are going to wonder why there's already a reboot going on.

Furthermore, I think Daredevil deserves a reboot more than Fantastic 4, which is what Fox was considering first. At least that movie came out quite a while ago.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteWas the reboot as successful as they thought it would be?

More so.  It surprised the experts, who didn't expect it to do very well because of the reputation of the previous movie, but it did quite well and got a lot of business.  The opening week numbers were lesser than the earlier one, but it picked up steam over time as word of mouth got out about it.  The experts commented that this proved the audiences are willing to forget about recent versions of the same character.  I was just paraphrasing that analysis earlier.

Gremlin

Quote from: docdelorean88 on March 14, 2009, 01:38:03 PM
Alright, in order to keep the idea that the last two F4 movies weren't the worst,(forgive me for this by the way) i'm linking you to this...

It's really saying something that THIS Dr. Doom is more interesting than the other movie version.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteFurthermore, I think Daredevil deserves a reboot more than Fantastic 4, which is what Fox was considering first. At least that movie came out quite a while ago.

I agree with you there.  I thought Bullseye was terrific and even Kingpin was well acted, even if not quite like the comic version in a few ways.

Unfortunately, neither hero was particular interesting, and I was more inclined to root for Bullseye than Daredevil.

zuludelta

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 15, 2009, 05:57:06 AM
QuoteFurthermore, I think Daredevil deserves a reboot more than Fantastic 4, which is what Fox was considering first. At least that movie came out quite a while ago.

I agree with you there.  I thought Bullseye was terrific and even Kingpin was well acted, even if not quite like the comic version in a few ways.

Unfortunately, neither hero was particular interesting, and I was more inclined to root for Bullseye than Daredevil.

In retrospect, Ben Affleck was a poor choice for Matt Murdock/Daredevil. He's just one of those actors that, due to their celebrity, can either make or break a film based on where he is on the pop culture "hot or not" standings. IIRC, the world was suffering from Bennifer oversaturation at the time the film was released (oh god, did I just type "Bennifer"?).   
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

TheMarvell

I actually enjoyed Daredevil quite a bit. It's not my favorite comic book movie, not by a long shot, but like Hulk in 2003, I think Daredevil is unjustly bashed. There are actually some really shining moments in the movie, particularly the moments with his father. Ben Affleck would have been a better choice if he didn't become such a celebrity at the time. As for the characters, the villains and Elektra were what brought the movie down for me. They were just so cheesy and one-dimensional, reminding me of the terrible Batman sequels.

The director of that movie (forgot his name) also did Ghost Rider, which took every bad part of Daredevil and made it an entire movie. At least that had Eva Mendes though. Oh, and I heard they were working on a sequel to Ghost Rider as well, with Nicolas Cage attached. Does this mean 3 years after that movie is released, they'll do another reboot?  :rolleyes:

zuludelta

Quote from: TheMarvell on March 15, 2009, 07:18:42 AMThe director of that movie (forgot his name) also did Ghost Rider

Can't remember his name either, but I'm pretty sure he was the guy who wrote Grumpy Old Men (which was actually a pretty good comedy).

I thought Ghost Rider was a decent special-effects movie (and it's true, they CGI'd his receding hairline and his abs at his request), but Nicolas Cage has been unbelievably horrible in just about every film he's been in this decade (the last performance I enjoyed from him was in 1996's Leaving Las Vegas). It's like he's not even trying anymore (I guess that comes with winning a best actor Oscar relatively early in his career).   
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

danhagen

I liked Daredevil too. And the movie is improved in the director's cut, with Matt using his lie-detecting super senses to dramatic advantage in court.

detourne_me

Quote from: zuludelta on March 15, 2009, 07:58:20 AM
but Nicolas Cage has been unbelievably horrible in just about every film he's been in this decade (the last performance I enjoyed from him was in 1996's Leaving Las Vegas). It's like he's not even trying anymore (I guess that comes with winning a best actor Oscar relatively early in his career).   

Actually I really liked Adaptation and Lord of War....

Jakew

I think I'm the only person who liked Julian McMahon as Doom ... I just thought the character he was asked to play was all wrong. He should have been Eastern European, shouldn't have had "metal" super-powers, had more of an intellectual rivarly with Reed Richards, etc.

The Fantastic Four cast sucked, aside from the guy who played Johnny Storm, and the effects, particularly for Mr Fantastic and The Thing, plain sucked.

The Silver Surfer was admittedly well executed, he just happened to be in a bad film.

The pacing of the films was also terrible.

jtharris86

Quote from: Jakew on March 16, 2009, 12:35:00 AM
I think I'm the only person who liked Julian McMahon as Doom ... I just thought the character he was asked to play was all wrong. He should have been Eastern European, shouldn't have had "metal" super-powers, had more of an intellectual rivarly with Reed Richards, etc.

The Fantastic Four cast sucked, aside from the guy who played Johnny Storm, and the effects, particularly for Mr Fantastic and The Thing, plain sucked.

The Silver Surfer was admittedly well executed, he just happened to be in a bad film.

The pacing of the films was also terrible.

I liked Julian McMahon as Doom as well. I found him and Johnny the most entertaining.  :thumbup:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quotebut Nicolas Cage has been unbelievably horrible in just about every film he's been in this decade

I liked the National Treasure movies and thought he was pretty decent in them.

That's about it though.

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 16, 2009, 01:04:32 AM
Quotebut Nicolas Cage has been unbelievably horrible in just about every film he's been in this decade

That's about it though.

Ohh Cat...and here I was thinking you had good taste....
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Figure Fan

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 16, 2009, 02:05:56 AM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 16, 2009, 01:04:32 AM

That's about it though.

Ohh Cat...and here I was thinking you had good taste....

Ooohhhh...

Thems fightin' words..

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteOhh Cat...and here I was thinking you had good taste....

Don't make me take into Randy's forums for a good slapping.  I'd slap you so silly, your children would be born giggling.

BentonGrey

Haha, seriously, how can you like a movie that, within the first five minutes, utters the words "he's going to steal the Declaration of Independence!"  It wasn't a bad concept...but the writing...the acting...ohhh the pain!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

docdelorean88

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 16, 2009, 02:29:29 AM
QuoteOhh Cat...and here I was thinking you had good taste....

Don't make me take into Randy's forums for a good slapping.  I'd slap you so silly, your children would be born giggling.
I'm Backikng you on this! These are great movies. One is better than two. Benton, I've managed to put the whole aqua dork... I mean, man, aqua man... Oh, (como se dece "aquard") but this is strike two dude! I've got a delorean time machine and i know how to use it! :lol:
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Gremlin

Oh, snap, you did NOT just bring Aquaman into this. He's gonna smack you one, son...  :P

BentonGrey

God Bless

Sevenforce

If you're having aqua problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...

EDIT: Sorry, on track. Yes ¬_¬

Nicholas Cage isn't a terrible actor as such, but he really hasn't tried as much as he could. Lord of War is a spectacular film, and its title sequence alone should win an award...

In regards to Fantastic Four...am I possibly the only one that liked the characterisations but hated the plot? Julian McMahon is a definite match for Doom, but he was very much given a bad backstory, and he played the character as it was given. I don't think the series really needs a reboot...especially not when theres so many other, better titles that could be made into films.
I so need booze -_-