Warner Bros. Brings Together Suicide Squad

Started by Midnite, February 26, 2009, 08:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

The Hitman

I read that this morning. Yeeesh... all of the top- notch property DC has, and that go for... Suicide Squad. Bad move, in my opinion.

lugaru

Quote from: Midnite on February 26, 2009, 08:12:09 PM
Warner Bros. Brings Together Suicide Squad

This movie could do really awesome or fail big time. 

I think the advantage of this project is that if they do well it will be great, and if they fail only us comic book readers will care. Pluss C list characters usually means a lot more freedom. Take Blade as an example, they improve the character without angering any fans that I know of. Note though that all they have is a screen writer who is famous for two other things he is writing but has not yet released. They might as well say "with 4 of the same extras from Fantastic Four!".

Gremlin

Actually, I think this is a really cool idea. Suicide Squad's always been an awesome conceit, and usually the characters are very compelling. Plus it'll really help to expand their film universe significantly, which it one of the things DC's movies have been really lacking in. Seriously, what have we seen so far from DC? Batman and Superman and...and...and...exactly.

I'm looking forward to this! :thumbup:

Jakew

Suicide Squad is my favourite team comic ever, so obviously I'm excited about this ... although I reckon it'd work better as a TV series, since you don't need a big budget to depict a guy with the power to throw boomerangs, be good at martial arts, cause vertigo, be a master of disguise, a dead shot, etc.

Bryan Brown IS Captain Boomerang!

Treat Williams IS Deadshot!

steamteck

Wow! they actually found a DC movie I'll skip. Nightshade might lure me in if she shows up  but the series/ concept doesn't do it for me as movie stuff. I never got what was so cool about suicide squad anyway so I'm not their audience I guess.

Midnite

It just occured to me, WB will make a bad move and cast a supermodel to play Waller.  :blink: :(

tommyboy

Quote from: steamteck on February 27, 2009, 12:12:07 AM
Wow! they actually found a DC movie I'll skip. Nightshade might lure me in if she shows up  but the series/ concept doesn't do it for me as movie stuff. I never got what was so cool about suicide squad anyway so I'm not their audience I guess.

I think the appeal is threefold, roughly.
One, as minor villains, many if not all of the cast are disposable, giving it an edge mainstream comics tend to not have; "oh noes!1 the hood will surely kill wooooooverine and spideryman with his shooty guns of doooom!1" You never knew who would make it through a mission, or an issue. There wasn't anything as crass as a death every issue, but there could be. Ever feel like they are going to kill off Venom or Bullseye? No, and you never ever will, either.
Two, as minor villains, the cast were both open to redemption, (a powerful story tool if done right), and general nastiness. Sort of the vibe of Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers/Marvel Supervillain Team up. As all fans of woooooverine and the punisher can attest, bad-boy antiheroes are more interesting in some ways than straight-laced dudley-do-rights.
Three, John Ostrander wrote some great tales, unlike pretty much anything else you'd see at the time, or since.

steamteck

Quote from: Midnite on February 27, 2009, 12:24:49 AM
It just occured to me, WB will make a bad move and cast a supermodel to play Waller.  :blink: :(

I think my one of my main problems with the series was her. I simply cannot describe how much I hate that character. Without her it might be more fun.

lugaru

Well another thing is that the DC movies have always had ok heroes and great villains, with Batman Returns being the exception (I liked Scarecrow but I was lukewarm on Ras Al Ghoul). If you give Warner a chance to make a movie with nothing but villains, I'm sure they will choose a bunch of charismatic character actors (which they have always done, Arnold as Mr. Freeze being the exception) who can bring something to the character.

herodad1

a agree.hollywood wont take risks with 2nd stringers so to speak.i didnt like the legion cartoon because they stuck superboy in it.the new avengers cartoon will probably not be as good with hulk in it.i'd like to see a jsa cartoon or live action movie with say wildcat,atom,dr midnite,golden age flash(jay), and green lantern.some marvel characters i'd like to see as movies/tv series would be powerman & ironfist,doc strange, and daredevil(tv series).

BentonGrey

There is potential for this to be a fantastic movie...although, it's DC, so the likelihood of that is rather slim.  Yeah Tommy, I love a good redemption story, and seeing a second string villain become heroic is just plain awesome.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Midnite

Dan Lin Talks 'Suicide Squad', 'Justice League' Films

QuoteIn an interview with Collider recently, producer Dan Lin said DC Entertainment ? the new Warner Bros. entity that will oversee the adaptation of comic book properties into film, TV, and games ? could unveil their strategy as early as next month.

The news follows rumors of a new Supergirl movie and a big screen version of Hawkman, both DC characters. "They're unveiling their DC strategy in January so you'll hear more about that and they'll speak about that in the new year," said Lin, whose producing credits include Terminator Salvation and the upcoming Bone.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, C.C.H. Pounder's already done a fine job playing Waller in the JLU cartoons and she also plays a vaguely similar role in Warehouse 13, so I'm all for her taking the role in a live action film.

As for the rest, we can only hope.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.