Spider-Man: The Musical

Started by Glitch Girl, February 24, 2009, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevenforce

*snort*

*giggle*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH

Oh...my...god...I love it! I will pay a bajillion pounds to go see this! I will cure cancer, aids, and solve the financial crisis just to see the absolute and complete trainwreck that this thing will be XD
I so need booze -_-

kkhohoho

All I can say is, I share everyone's opinions about the Goblin. :banghead:
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Spe-Dog

The Goblin I get...even if I don't understand why he looks like a parade float, but the hot chocolate lady?  Who is under all that silver paint anyway?  She looks like Grace Jones!  Okay, that is scary.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

BentonGrey

Whaaaa?  I thought this was an odd idea to begin with...but my goodness!  This is going to be unbelievably terrible. :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BWPS

How can this cost $52 million to make?! Musicals are so stupid, who would of thought Spider-Man could make something terrible even less awesome?
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

daglob

Quote from: BWPS on September 12, 2010, 04:07:22 PM
How can this cost $52 million to make?! Musicals are so stupid, who would of thought Spider-Man could make something terrible even less awesome?

I must respectfully dissagree with you about musicals in general, BWPS, but in this particular case I totally agree with you.

BentonGrey

Yeah, there are some great musicals (Les Mis being, perhaps, the best example of just how awesome they can be), but this is a fever dream.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

MikeB7

BentonGrey

God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BlueBard

If I had to guess, I would guess that the producers for the musical do NOT have unlimited permission to use copyrighted and trademarked Marvel characters and probably couldn't have legally used Goblin's likeness if they had wanted to.  Also a good rationale for introducing a new villain that isn't subject to said legalities.

That said, I fail to see who in their right minds would appreciate those costume designs.  I can only imagine the travesty that must be the Spider-Man costume for this thing.

Is this project actually licensed from Marvel?  I can't imagine how it could go forward if it weren't, but I also can't imagine they'd give up that much creative control or approve such awful designs.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

UnkoMan

I actually think those costumes are totally awesome. I hope this musical is completely insane.
Is that a giant Spider-Man holding a giant baby Spider-Man in his hand, in the cityscape?
Ah ha ha ha ha ha!!

Spe-Dog

The costumes really remind me of the neon thugs from Batman Forever...yeah, tough guys dress like that. (when they are heading to Jazzercise class)
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Glitch Girl

Yet more news from the musical that can't catch a break...
Spider-Man delayed again

Seriously, at this point, this production is going to be legendary.  Note I did not say in a "good" or "bad" way, only that it's in a position where it cannot be an anverage or modestly successful run - it will either soar spectacularly, or it will crash and burn spectacularly, no middle ground.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Ajax

I really want to see this play, too bad it will never leave NYC and I doubt I will find time to make it down there.

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 04, 2010, 03:41:06 PM
Yet more news from the musical that can't catch a break...

On the contrary, according to that news item at least one actor has caught two breaks.

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Glitch Girl

More costumes
USA Today

On the right, is that going to be Mary Jane?

Also Sy-Fy gets into the act
-Glitch Girl

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Blake Callaway, Syfy’s senior vice president for brand and strategic marketing“It will also be a great way for us to entertain advertising clients and hold events related to the musical, and also associate Syfy with one of the great newly imagined properties on Broadway,”

Someone's gambling big on this, aren't they?
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Glitch Girl

Indeed they are.

The show previewed this weekend.  Apparently there were technical difficulties with some of the flying stunts which stopped the show more than once and one of which ended act 1 early.  
-Glitch Girl

deano_ue

QuoteBono, for instance, suggested that they base the character of Norman Osborn, an environmental scientist who becomes the villainous Green Goblin, on Ted Turner, the billionaire entrepreneur whose eccentricities had stayed with Bono after meeting at Mr. Turner's rustic getaway in Georgia. "Bono described this fast-talking, always-thinking, brilliant and strange Southerner, and you're always looking for vivid characters who will pop on the stage," said Glen Berger, who wrote the show's book with Ms. Taymor.

The musical's Osborn/Goblin (Patrick Page) has the gray hair and Southern accent of Mr. Turner and shares his concerns about the environment (hence, here, the "green" angle). "I hope Ted will like it," Bono said.

http://io9.com/5700218/previews-for-the-spider+man-musical-reveal-kraven-carnage-and-a-giant-puppet-hammerhead

call it nerdy, call it rampant fanboy ism but i have never wanted to hurt someone as much as i do right now

Glitch Girl

:eek2:

Wow.  That's just... wow.  I'm tempted to help TUE find a baseball bat.  

:banghead: Have
:banghead: these
:banghead: people
:banghead: ever
:banghead: read
:banghead: a
:banghead: Spider-Man
:banghead: Comic?
-Glitch Girl

Previsionary

The only Spider-man musical I acknowledge is the one with Aquaman and Wonder Woman in it. That's right... the Conan version.
Disappear when you least expe--

Glitch Girl

After following up TUE's link and poking around a bit more, found this article

The part about the ending (if true) truly makes me cringe.
-Glitch Girl

deano_ue

if we're lucky it'll bomb and bomb quickly

BlueBard

Quote from: Glitch Girl on December 09, 2010, 04:58:51 PM
After following up TUE's link and poking around a bit more, found this article.  

QuoteFirst, Spider-Man's modern comic book adventures have been equally absurd (what with his Satanic divorce to Mary Jane and the Green Goblin knocking up his girlfriend), so this musical is par for the course.

The writer of the article does have a point, there.  That's only the tip of the iceberg, really.

So, basically, if you're interested in the stuntwork, have money to burn, and you have a strong stomach for bad plotting you should see it.  Otherwise, steer waaaaaaay clear.  Me, I'll happily pass.

crimsonquill

Spider-Man: The Musical aka Spider-Man 4: Web-Swinging Over The Shark..

I seriously wondered if Joel Shumacher was hiding behind the scenes somewhere when more and more details of this musical started being released.

Then again I figured maybe Sony planned this whole thing so that once the Spider-Man remake is released ANYTHING moderately good would seem like an Academy Award Tour de Force compaired to Spider-Man 3 and Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

UnkoMan

Ah ha ha ha ha!

Guys, come on. This is stupidly awesome and hilarious. It's not like any kids are going to wind up thinking this is how Spider-Man is suppose to be or something. Maybe some old rich people will though, but who cares? I hope it runs long enough to get filmed so I can actually watch it.

Glitch Girl

Spider-Man delayed until sometime in February

Here's an odd thought: I started this thread back in February of 2009.  I will laugh if it opens around the two year anniversary of this discussion.
-Glitch Girl