News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Champions Online

Started by RTTingle, February 09, 2009, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenolith

The only guy I have is around level 24, but I'd be happy to start a new one.  Just let me know when and where.  I can't play on Wednesday nights.

Alaric

I can't play on Wednesday nights, either.

Best way to get in touch is probably through the "Friends" system. If you go to the official site and log yourself in, you should see, on the right side of the screen, an area that says "MY FRIENDS LIST". You can use this, or the in-game version, which is under the "social" tab- clivk on the upper left-most icon on the upper-right part of your screen, and select "social". I've tried sending several people friends requests already.

I'm @Alaric, by the way.
Fear the "A"!!!

Uncle Yuan

I will probably wind up on this in a bit - I have to play through Batman first.  I will have to get this for the XBox, as my computer doesn't meet recommended specs.  I think UY will be available as a handle.  The great irony is that UY was first conceived as a Champions character.  It will be fun to try and translate him into the game.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

Core

What kind of characters are you guys rolling?

I don't mean list all your powers (unless you want to), but more like what themes are you going for and which frameworks are you incorporating?

So far the only characters I have played repeatedly are my gadgeteer and my strong guy.

Cornelius Coriolis is my gadgeteer/inventor inspired by Tom Strong, but with less strength and more tech.

Mr. Magnanimous is the classic/archtypical super strength guy, like Superman when he first debuted.

I also made a character for my "avatar", Flyboy. Although I can't play him the way I want to so he's really just for show.

btw, I'm @flyboy
I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart of napalm!

UnkoMan

Welp, I'd rather on a weekday, if this is to be a regular thing, than a weekend. So I guess that leaves Monday, Tuesday, Thursday?

Unko Man is a bit action scientisty. He's gadgeteer with some munitions and whatever the heck else I deem appropriate. He's an idiot savant. He punches guys an invents things, but I'm leaning more on inventions in this game.

Xenolith

Tuesday and Thursday will be reserved (by me) for potential Champions action then.  Monday night is Monday Night Football night.  I forgot.

I played a power armor guy in the closed beta, and a munitions guy in the open beta (maybe he is still around?) but I'll create a Powerhouse for the FR team.  Maybe a Hulk or Thing type character.  Maybe Da Glob?  No, just kidding.  I do like the misunderstood monster angle though.  Or a circus strongman.  Maybe I'll get on tonight and sort it out.

UnfluffyBunny

havent had chance to log in yet, working on that now, lol

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

UnfluffyBunny

BentonGrey

So....I can get it for $40....I'm seriously considering it.  It looks like a decent number of FR people are getting it.  Can anyone convince me?  How much HD space does it take?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Figure Fan

When are the free trials coming out? :cool:

BlueBard

Jey, you didn't say enough about that patch.  Here's a comment from another site:

QuoteWell, Champions Online came out today, and was immediately subjected to a large patch filled with balance adjustments.  Or nerfs, if you want to refer to them as such.  Plenty of people on the Champions Online forum definitely are.  And there are posts there from players who have done some digging and found that "balance tuning to player defensive powers" translates to "gutting of nearly every player defensive power, even those that weren't performing that well in the first place."

No MMORPG is ever truly finished.  Adjustments to powers, missions, characters, and gear are just a fact of life in the virtual worlds.  Still, Cryptic seems to be favoring fairly heavy-handed tactics aimed at getting the mechanics of their new game just right.

To be fair, many of the "nerfs" were probably necessary, as they centered around abilities that many people had been calling overpowered all throughout closed and open beta.  But it makes one wonder about the logic behind pushing live a patch, with such a large number of adjustments, that had no public testing on Day 1, just after they made sure they had all the lifetime and 6-month subscriptions they could possibly get...

(Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-15961-Charleston-MMORPG-Examiner~y2009m9d1-Champions-Online-launches-with-surprise-nerfladen-patch)

Now THAT sounds like the Cryptic we're used to.  Go read the link Jey posted for some of the gory details.  People who didn't play in the beta won't know any difference and will probably still enjoy the game as long as the nerfs don't make it ridiculously difficult at the other end of the pendulum swing.  I didn't play in the beta, so I'll wait to hear from other folks as I continue to consider CO...
STO/CO: @bluegeek

electro

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 02, 2009, 02:07:16 AM
So....I can get it for $40....I'm seriously considering it.  It looks like a decent number of FR people are getting it.  Can anyone convince me?  How much HD space does it take?

2.52 gigs is what my Cryptic folder reads & this game is worth 40 bucks - Even if you don't think it's the greatest game ever made you will definetly have fun for a few months & thats better than most games where you beat them in 15 hours & then its over :blink:

Alaric

Quote from: BlueBard on September 02, 2009, 03:35:46 AM
Jey, you didn't say enough about that patch.  Here's a comment from another site:

QuoteWell, Champions Online came out today, and was immediately subjected to a large patch filled with balance adjustments.  Or nerfs, if you want to refer to them as such.  Plenty of people on the Champions Online forum definitely are.  And there are posts there from players who have done some digging and found that "balance tuning to player defensive powers" translates to "gutting of nearly every player defensive power, even those that weren't performing that well in the first place."

No MMORPG is ever truly finished.  Adjustments to powers, missions, characters, and gear are just a fact of life in the virtual worlds.  Still, Cryptic seems to be favoring fairly heavy-handed tactics aimed at getting the mechanics of their new game just right.

To be fair, many of the "nerfs" were probably necessary, as they centered around abilities that many people had been calling overpowered all throughout closed and open beta.  But it makes one wonder about the logic behind pushing live a patch, with such a large number of adjustments, that had no public testing on Day 1, just after they made sure they had all the lifetime and 6-month subscriptions they could possibly get...

(Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-15961-Charleston-MMORPG-Examiner~y2009m9d1-Champions-Online-launches-with-surprise-nerfladen-patch)

Now THAT sounds like the Cryptic we're used to.  Go read the link Jey posted for some of the gory details.  People who didn't play in the beta won't know any difference and will probably still enjoy the game as long as the nerfs don't make it ridiculously difficult at the other end of the pendulum swing.  I didn't play in the beta, so I'll wait to hear from other folks as I continue to consider CO...

I did play in Beta, at least toward the end, and I frankly haven't noticed much difference- other than the fact that my one regenerating hero isn't unbeatable anymore- still very effective, but not unbeatable. I can still solo missions intended for groups with pretty much any character, for example- and none of my characters are designed to be "optimum builds". On the other hand, this is all at fairly low level- haven't hit 20 with any character yet- so it may be different at higher levels. Still, I have a strong suspicion that some of the changes may be lessened in the near future.

On yet the other hand, I was never bothered by any of the "nerfs" in CoH, either, so maybe I'm not the person to listen to about this. My tendency to play sub-optimal, concept-driven builds has likely caused me to develop a play style that's less impacted by "nerfing", I guess...
Fear the "A"!!!

BatWing

i'm planning to get the one fore 360.
u think 360 will be able interact with PC people too?

Reepicheep

Now I want in too. :(

Edit: Its all your faults! Now I'm downloading this stupid game.

detourne_me

I feel the same way Reep.
I just bought it on Steam....   
downloading now.

BlueBard

Thanks, Alaric!  I appreciate the feedback!

BentonGrey

Yep, you people got me too...I'm ordering it now....

I blame the further delay of the DCUG on everyone who said this game was good. ;)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Alaric

In a belated attempt to not be held responsible in case of disappointment, I do want to point out that the game doesn't really start hitting its stride until around level 10 or so- the really early stuff is okay, but, for me at least, that's when it starts getting really fun. Also, there's definitely not enough documentation- if people have any questions, you might want to post them here.

I may actually write a "basic beginner's guide" at some point- although a) I generally dislike step-by-step how-to-play guides, since they encourage everyone to play the same way, AND it could spoil a few fun surprises, maybe, and b) someone who was in beta longer than I was may be better qualified. Still, I may throw something together...
Fear the "A"!!!

Reepicheep

I forgive none of you. I like this game!

I'm @Reep-the-barbarian with Sentryman, a mighty toon!

For Freedom!

Core

Quote from: Alaric on September 02, 2009, 04:12:35 PM
Also, there's definitely not enough documentation- if people have any questions, you might want to post them here.

The info you get from various contacts from the tutorial are is pretty good for getting the general idea, but I must say it is very frustrating that there is no help section containing all those info-bits.

Unless of course I haven't found it yet...
I'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart of napalm!

BlueBard

What might push me to this game sooner rather than later is the fact that CoH "stutters" and crashes on our new laptop... Got to take a hard look at the HW/SW requirements for this game...

BentonGrey

That.......sounds pretty awesome.
God Bless

detourne_me

here's my info
(although i haven't played an mmo since beta and first year of COH...)
user detourne_me
my first character is Timejump Tesla - a two-guns gadgeteer.

Carravaggio

@Carravaggio
Add me, then never see me again due to time differences :P

Reepicheep

Carr, If you're british, I can see us becoming very good friends!

BlueBard

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 02, 2009, 06:53:00 PM
That.......sounds pretty awesome.

I suppose an obligatory Halloween zombie event is par for the course... but I'm getting really tired of stories mixing zombies and superheroes.  Since I've fortuitously not signed up for CO thus far, it's entirely avoidable.

That said, turning fallen heroes into the undead is a twist.