Green Lantern Live action movie

Started by Midnite, February 05, 2009, 05:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podmark

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on July 14, 2009, 02:25:11 AM
I recall several times Benton has said he liked Justice. In fact, we're both fans.

Does Justice count as a modern comic?

Ah Justice, Vance is too cool.

Reynolds can probably do a good Hal, but Hal still doesn't deserve to be played by him.

Also I think almost every casting in this article would be fun. Especially House as Sinestro.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Midnite

BentonGrey

Quote from: Podmark on July 14, 2009, 05:10:11 AM
Quote from: yell0w_lantern on July 14, 2009, 02:25:11 AM
I recall several times Benton has said he liked Justice. In fact, we're both fans.

Does Justice count as a modern comic?

I also love Project Superpowers and Atomic Robo....both modern books.... :P

I sorta' thougth filming had already started...silly me. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

bredon7777

"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

detourne_me

Apparently she's only 22. 
I think we'll be seeing Hal Jordan take on more of a Van Wilder role.

BentonGrey

Yeah, she looks like a teenager!  Come on, Carol Ferris was the original capable woman, and this girl looks like she'd be more at home in a frat party than running a billion-dollar corporation....
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, as the writer said, Ledger surprised just about everyone, so this girl may do the same.

That being said I'd rather have someone bit more mature looking in the role.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on January 09, 2010, 05:46:06 PM
Well, as the writer said, Ledger surprised just about everyone, so this girl may do the same.

That being said I'd rather have someone bit more mature looking in the role.

Anything possible, but WB has a long way to go still to win back my confidence.
God Bless

BentonGrey

Well, that sounds fine, but....who is this guy going to be playing?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sarsgaard

Not Sinestro, I hope....
God Bless

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 19, 2010, 05:20:52 PM
Well, that sounds fine, but....who is this guy going to be playing?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sarsgaard

Not Sinestro, I hope....

Might be Hector Hammond. I'm pretty sure I saw something about that the other day.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BWPS

Not Sinestro, I hope....
I dunno, he's got the forehead, it'd just be a matter of makeup. Then again, Sinestro scores a good 7.2 on the cheese-o-meter. His uniform is even the color of cheese. That may be too high.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BlueBard

Quote from: Podmark on January 19, 2010, 06:13:58 PM

Not Sinestro, I hope....

Might be Hector Hammond. I'm pretty sure I saw something about that the other day.

After reading the wiki on HH (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Hammond)... I'm really not impressed.

I'd have to say that beats Sinestro on the cheese-o-meter, hands down.  GL should be handling intergalactic/cosmic threats, not DC's lame version of MODOK.

(Yes, I get that HH came before MODOK.  Still...)
STO/CO: @bluegeek

BentonGrey

Quote from: BWPS on January 19, 2010, 07:03:59 PM

Not Sinestro, I hope....
I dunno, he's got the forehead, it'd just be a matter of makeup. Then again, Sinestro scores a good 7.2 on the cheese-o-meter. His uniform is even the color of cheese. That may be too high.

Nah, they can totally make Sinestro a great character.  He was actually interesting, and even a little compelling at times in some of the recent GL books.  His obsession with order, with his version of morality...he's more than just another mustache twirling guy out to be evil just for the heck of it.  Then again, you could be trying to be sarcastic.

He might work for Hector Hammond...and Hammond IS supposed to be in the movie...

Ehh, Hammond is actually a pretty creepy villain in his way.  He's got the whole "trading his humanity for power" thing going on.
God Bless

Trelau

wasn't there a recent retelling of hal history in wich we saw Hammond? maybe a tie-in to sinestro corp or something....It was a flashback-based book, maybe in 3-4 issue that was retelling hal's story. We saw him young skipping school to go see his dad fly, meeting carol just before his dad's plane crashed, then coming back when he was an adult to receive carol's dad confession that it was his fault the plane crashed...Hammond was trying to date carol, but then Abin sur crashed; and while examining the ship hammond got his powers...
Now that i recall, i'm pretty sur it was oriented on the hal/sinestro relationship, because it ended with sinestro beating hammond by making a bubble around his head to suffocate him, something hal didn't though and so was beaten. damn i can't find/remember in what serie it was! but if they do an origin movie of this green lantern, i hop it looks like this because it had everything (the hothead young hal, the trauma of his dad's death, the mentoring from sinestro...)

after re-reading that, i wonder if i havent wrote the exact same thing a few pages earlier in this exact same topic...wierd d?j?-vu
edit:nope, must have been somewhere else
Still, i can't find that book. any ideas what serie it was? maybe a "tales of" green lantern corp or something...i'll keep searching

The Hitman

Quote from: Trelau on January 19, 2010, 10:56:48 PM
wasn't there a recent retelling of hal history in wich we saw Hammond? maybe a tie-in to sinestro corp or something....It was a flashback-based book, maybe in 3-4 issue that was retelling hal's story. We saw him young skipping school to go see his dad fly, meeting carol just before his dad's plane crashed, then coming back when he was an adult to receive carol's dad confession that it was his fault the plane crashed...Hammond was trying to date carol, but then Abin sur crashed; and while examining the ship hammond got his powers...

Even in Silver Age issues, Hammond was originally cast as Carol's snooty boyfriend, was before he was a villain.

deano_ue

they're doing the right thing, rushing Sinestro's story would be terrible. let it build in the first film

catwhowalksbyhimself

In at least the earlier versions of the Script Sinestro would be Hal's trainer, not a villain, so I think they have the same idea in mind already.

BentonGrey

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on January 19, 2010, 11:47:32 PM
they're doing the right thing, rushing Sinestro's story would be terrible. let it build in the first film

I am entirely alright with that.  It shows remarkable prescience on their part.
God Bless

Trelau

Well yeah...except if the film crashes. I'd hate to say but...Superman Returns. It was supposed to relauch the franchise. If the GL movie fails and they cancel the 1 or 2 follow-up, we'd never get to see Sinestro as a villain...

Podmark

Quote from: Trelau on January 20, 2010, 11:15:18 AM
Well yeah...except if the film crashes. I'd hate to say but...Superman Returns. It was supposed to relauch the franchise. If the GL movie fails and they cancel the 1 or 2 follow-up, we'd never get to see Sinestro as a villain...

Sometimes you have to take those risks. Of course if Sinestro isn't the villain they need to make sure the villain they use is strong enough. I don't think Green Lantern is really brimming with tons of villains that general audiences will like.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Quote from: Podmark on January 20, 2010, 01:19:20 PM

Sometimes you have to take those risks. Of course if Sinestro isn't the villain they need to make sure the villain they use is strong enough. I don't think Green Lantern is really brimming with tons of villains that general audiences will like.

I believe they are basing this off of the retelling of Hal's origin from some years back, and that Hammond won't be the main villain of the film.  I think the main one will be that gold fellow (not Goldface) who attacked Oa in that book.
God Bless

BlueBard

Off-Topic... If they ever do get another Superman flick off the ground, I hope they get Kevin J. Anderson on board to write the story for it.  This is a guy that totally gets Superman... his retelling of the legend of Krypton (The Last Days of Krypton) and of the first time Superman and Batman run into each other (Enemies and Allies) are each imaginative and tie in comic-book continuity very well.

Mr. Hamrick

Superman Returns a relaunch??  Singer has stated in interviews that he intended it to be more of a sequel to the Richard Donner stuff.  I think a relaunch without trying to be a sequel to the Donner films would've been much better.  Especially with a director who doesn't try to turn Superman into a creep at a few points in the film and gets the characterizations right for several people like Superman, Clark, Lois, and Perry White.

Back to GL, if you factor in Hector Hammond, there is a potential for three villains in the movie. 

Hammond

Sinestro

Star Sapphire

I don't think all three will be in it.  I figure Sinestro will turn on GL and Hammond will be a villain.  They will at least have Star Sapphire on deck for a sequel.

BlueBard

Okay, here's something that's bugging me and I don't get...

Hal originally gets the ring from Abin Sur, who crashlanded on Earth in a spaceship...

What was Abin Sur doing in a spaceship?  If he was a GL, couldn't he use the ring to fly without a ship???

(Okay, I read wikipedia... and it still sounds lame.)

Viking

Quote from: BlueBard on January 20, 2010, 09:23:41 PM
Okay, here's something that's bugging me and I don't get...

Hal originally gets the ring from Abin Sur, who crashlanded on Earth in a spaceship...

What was Abin Sur doing in a spaceship?  If he was a GL, couldn't he use the ring to fly without a ship???

(Okay, I read wikipedia... and it still sounds lame.)

Doing a bit of internet searching on GL lore, I found the following explanation:

In the course of Abin Sur's career, he received a prophecy that his death would come when his power ring failed him at a critical moment.  Hence, he started using an actual starship for long voyages to help preserve the charge in his ring.

Of course, the same webpage that provided this info also states that the origin of the starship has been changed several times.  For that matter,  in the animated straight-to-DVD movie First Flight, part of the backstory is that Abin Sur had been doing some undercover investigation when he was found out and gravely injured before making his escape.  One might infer that suffering from a big sucking chest wound would interfere with the concentration required to use the power ring for long-range space flight to a greater degree than using a starship.

Not saying that they're perfect explanations, but they exist.

catwhowalksbyhimself

To me there's a perfectly simple explanation.  While the Green Lanterns can fly around in out space with their rings, this would hardly be confortable on long voyages.  To me, it just makes sense that a space ship would be far more comfortable, if one happens to be available, but they would be more a luxury reserved for longer voyages.  I mean, who would want to be left hanging out in outer space for hours on end, with absolutely nothing to do and no way to actually relax or rest or anything?

BentonGrey

In the re-telling I mentioned earlier, that yellow villain (who's name still escapes me) had been tracking Abin Sur, and his ring wasn't able to effect it, so he was trying to escape in the spaceship when the thing attacked.
God Bless

Trelau

Hum...and what about atrocitus? In the "rage of the red lantern" act we have yet another retelling of Abin Sur's crash, where atrocitus is his prisonner tied in the ship. he openly mocks abin for being afraid of the prophecy (sinestro even says later that since this prophecy, abin had change and lost the favor of the guardian). when the ship crashed atrocitus was freed, and so the first ennemy sinestro and hal fought together was atrocitus.
But the big yellow guy...yeah, i remember him. he was actually a fusion of mutiple spirit/soul from a dead planet if i recall.
blast! i have an early script of the gl movie somewhere. be right back

edit: ok, according to first draft of june 2008, that villain is named Legion (so i'm betting i was right about the multiple spirit thing). Also, SPOILER (possible, but since it's a first draft it may have change)
Spoiler
abin sur is not alone in his ship, tomar-re is there too, and they are carying a metallic coffin with a dead green lantern inside, the third one of the same sector killed in action; so probably by legion
I don't remember where i got this, but if anyone is interested it a pdf file of 105 pages (about 4 Mo). And it's a script, so you read it kind of like theatre (dialogue, description of attitude and movement of the characters, indication on what the shot looks like). re-edit: silly me, i got this on page one of this topic  :wacko: