News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Web of Shadows debate

Started by captmorgan72, January 08, 2009, 04:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

My cousin was thinking about getting this game until he discovered that Spidey can only pick up and throw cars when he has the sybiote on. He droned on about how Spidey can do this without the Sybiote and how much he hates it when companies that make games about superheroes screw up their powersets. I explained to him that yes it's true that Spidey can pick up cars and throw them without the symbiote but he wouldn't do it for fear of killing his opponent or hurting/killing innocent bystanders. With the symbiote he goes darkside and becomes more vicious and brutal. This is reflected in game when he does pick up cars and uses them as weapons. So do you agree with my explanation?

crimsonquill

Technically, Marvel's Handbook says that he can only lift small cars (i.e. Smart Cars or VW Bugs) over his head and probably even throw them with some effort... He even has flipped over bigger cars or used their own speed and weight to slam them into opponents as weapons with major effort. Spidey however would not just pick up a random car off the street and toss it around at leisure unless he was sure there was nobody inside it and the area was clear of people who would be hurt if he did use it in that fashion.

The main part of Web of Shadows is that you (the player) can choose to do things more "evil" then the comic version especially when you are under the influence of his symbiote costume. Plus the "alien costume" boosted his Spidey Strength so that he could pick up something as large as a garbage truck and toss it without much effort - but that depended on who was writing the comic at the time.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

detourne_me

totally agree with both of you.
im so hesitant to play as the symbiote though... it's so easy to go bad in the game,  but it's pretty hard to stay good.
not knowing my spidey trivia as well as i should i screwed up my good side during the wolverine fight....

TheMarvell

is the game any good? I debated picking this one up and decided not to after watching some videos and reading reviews. I'd rather not pay full price for yet another version of what essentially is Spider-Man 2, or more recently Spider-Man 3. Swinging around New York is fun and all, but I'd like to see Spidey branch out to some new cities and environments...

MJB

Why is this thread titled "debate" when I see no such debate?

-MJB

BWPS

Quote from: MJB on January 09, 2009, 08:09:40 AM

-MJB

Without the symbiote, Spider-Man can't lift a car at all! When he got bit, his strength may have tentupled, but he was such a scrawny nerd to begin with that I doubt he could even lift a motorcycle! Also, regular Spider-Man would always throw cars if he could because his uncle Ben was near a car when he died (maybe), and he hates cars with a passion!!!!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Gremlin

Quote from: BWPS on January 09, 2009, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: MJB on January 09, 2009, 08:09:40 AM

-MJB

Without the symbiote, Spider-Man can't lift a car at all! When he got bit, his strength may have tentupled, but he was such a scrawny nerd to begin with that I doubt he could even lift a motorcycle! Also, regular Spider-Man would always throw cars if he could because his uncle Ben was near a car when he died (maybe), and he hates cars with a passion!!!!

Um, what? Please. a) Parker's strength is proportionate to that of a SPIDER, and not multiplied by any perticular amount. B) In issue 57 of the original run he was clearly shown lifting a taxi and throwing it at Paste Pot Pete. C) And Uncle Ben was killed in his house, nowhere near a car, unless you count the movie version, but that's not canon to 616 and therefore is irrelevant. In conclusion, read your comics before you open your trap.

I AM joking, if that's not apparent. =P

zuludelta

Quote from: Gremlin on January 09, 2009, 07:23:24 PMParker's strength is proportionate to that of a SPIDER, and not multiplied by any perticular amount

One of my comparative biology profs was a big comic book fan, and I remember him saying that Stan Lee had it all backwards when he said that Spider-Man had the "proportionate" strength of a spider. Apparently, a spider, theoretically grown to human size, wouldn't even be able to support its own weight, much less lift something else, since the arthropod exoskeleton has poor load-bearing capabilities past a certain body volume (that's why despite their evolutionary success, terrestrial arthropods have never grown bigger than the long extinct 6-foot long Arthropleura). 
Art is the expression of truth without violence.

captmorgan72

I finally picked up this game and really like it. There is proof that Spidey can pick up cars without the symbiote in the game too. Some of his attacks will flip cars and destroy them if you accidentally hit one while fighting with enemies. It shows how strong he is even without the symbiote. I accidentally killed loads of people doing this.

MJB

First I am sorry about the "no debate" comment. Second I agree with Gremlin's post.

-MJB

detourne_me

Quote from: zuludelta on January 10, 2009, 01:51:38 AM
Quote from: Gremlin on January 09, 2009, 07:23:24 PMParker's strength is proportionate to that of a SPIDER, and not multiplied by any perticular amount

One of my comparative biology profs was a big comic book fan, and I remember him saying that Stan Lee had it all backwards when he said that Spider-Man had the "proportionate" strength of a spider. Apparently, a spider, theoretically grown to human size, wouldn't even be able to support its own weight, much less lift something else, since the arthropod exoskeleton has poor load-bearing capabilities past a certain body volume (that's why despite their evolutionary success, terrestrial arthropods have never grown bigger than the long extinct 6-foot long Arthropleura). 
oh it was because of load baring capabilities?  i always thought it was something to do with their respiration system, how they absorb oxygen through tiny pores or something,  at it wouldn't be feasible on a large scale.   

tommyboy

Quote from: detourne_me on January 12, 2009, 02:03:29 PM
Quote from: zuludelta on January 10, 2009, 01:51:38 AM

oh it was because of load baring capabilities?  i always thought it was something to do with their respiration system, how they absorb oxygen through tiny pores or something,  at it wouldn't be feasible on a large scale.   

I think both the breathing problems and structural issues with large exoskeletons are a factor in why it's so hard to make reliable giant spiders or ants. Which is why I stick with trusty old zombies and henchmen. Though I would like giant zombie henchmen...

Anyway, I rather like the game, there seems to be slightly less "Push Button A Now!" stuff than some other games, (or at least it's easy enough for me to do when there is some).
And I avoid using the Black Suit whenever possible since I not only prefer the look of the Red and Blue, but I like the moveset better.

I don't think regular Spidey could or should toss cars around, he's not that strong or that irresponsible.

captmorgan72

"I don't think regular Spidey could or should toss cars around, he's not that strong or that irresponsible."

I agree Tommy that he is not that irresponsible but I disagree that he's not that strong. Spidey can lift 10 tons max. That's strong enough to pick up cars and throw them around. What does an average car weigh? Maybe 3 or 4 tons? Shouldn't be a problem for web head to do it.

tommyboy

Quote from: captmorgan72 on January 13, 2009, 11:55:59 AM
"I don't think regular Spidey could or should toss cars around, he's not that strong or that irresponsible."

I agree Tommy that he is not that irresponsible but I disagree that he's not that strong. Spidey can lift 10 tons max. That's strong enough to pick up cars and throw them around. What does an average car weigh? Maybe 3 or 4 tons? Shouldn't be a problem for web head to do it.

Just as an experiment, if you know your own maximum weight you can lift, find something that is about 30-40% of that weight and see how far you can throw it, and how many times you can do that. Lifting is different from throwing.
I think that he can do it, in the same way that I could pick up a small fridge and throw it a bit. But it would be a struggle and after two or three times I really wouldn't be able to do anything else without a lie down first.

captmorgan72

Quote from: tommyboy on January 13, 2009, 07:39:59 PM
Quote from: captmorgan72 on January 13, 2009, 11:55:59 AM

Just as an experiment, if you know your own maximum weight you can lift, find something that is about 30-40% of that weight and see how far you can throw it, and how many times you can do that. Lifting is different from throwing.
I think that he can do it, in the same way that I could pick up a small fridge and throw it a bit. But it would be a struggle and after two or three times I really wouldn't be able to do anything else without a lie down first.

:doh: Man, do I feel stupid. I never thought of it that way before. Your right, just because I can lift 100 pounds over my head doesn't mean that I can throw 30 pounds the length of a city block. With the symbiote boosting his strength he is able throw the cars a good distance. Thanks for clearing that up for me.