Who Watches the Watchmen? (New Movie Thread)

Started by Figure Fan, December 23, 2008, 07:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kommando

Figure Fan

Who knew that Watchmen would spawn so many discussions on male genitalia? I mean, really? :lol:

In all seriousness, Jon's penis was probably only noticeable the first time it appeared on screen, but after that, I was too busy paying attention to his face.

Figure Fan

I wanted to share a post I made from another board with you guys. It discusses the symbolism regarding Veidt at the end of the film. I'm putting it in spoilers because it discusses some of the connections that can be made to theology. The post is in no way derogatory and I'm pretty sure it's safe for FR. If not, feel free to remove it, or I can if anyone is offended. It just discusses the parallels, and goes no further.

Spoiler
QuoteYeah, I really did like the additions that they gave to Dan at the end.

Also, when Veidt catches the bullet and pulls it out of his hand, it is a nod to the 'stigmata' seen on various saints and religious figures, like Christ (Holes in the palms, etc). What's even better, is that when he has his had on his abdomen on the ground after "being shot", he is essentially nursing the wound area where Christ was stabbed by the Spear of Longinus, even if he's just faking. They are great references to him being a messiah and a 'savior' of the people, even if it's warped and twisted.

When Dan runs at him, ready to attack, Adrian outstretches his arms, and with the "stigmata" on at least one hand, it's definitely a Christ-like message there. I'm trying to make a connection using the cut on Veidt's face after Dan punches him. It seems like it's there for more than the obvious reason. Maybe a Crown of Thorns comparison can be made as well?

I loved this, and just put it together today. Makes me want to see it again, actually.

Thoughts?

Gremlin

He's wearing a crown already--the gold thing on his head could be seen as that. And he's named after a king. It's an interesting observation, one I hadn't noticed. Is that in the book, too?

Figure Fan

Quote from: Gremlin on March 14, 2009, 06:32:06 AM
He's wearing a crown already--the gold thing on his head could be seen as that. And he's named after a king. It's an interesting observation, one I hadn't noticed. Is that in the book, too?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe his headband could be used to make the connection. Not sure, though..

In the book, there is even more. When Ozymandias raises his arms in victory, shouting "I did it!" his wrists are placed right over the swords in the 'Alexander cutting the Gordian Knot' painting hanging above the doorway in the background, and his arms are in a slightly modified crucifixion pose.

Oh, and there is a blood stain on his abdomen in the book, but the film didn't have it since he didn't bleed as much.

Figure Fan

Ah-ha!

If I'm not mistaken, the crown of thorns is also known as a 'crown of lies'. Perhaps Ozymandias' "crown" equates to him having to hide the truth from the world about what he did.

Thoughts?

BentonGrey

Well, I saw this last night, and I was thoroughly impressed.  It was a fantastic interpretation of the story.  The attention to detail, the accuracy, the faithfulness...it was just great.  There were very few things that I didn't enjoy, but most of them are related to things that I didn't enjoy in the original story either (the high degree of racy subject matter, etc.).  The only thing that really bothered me about the movie itself was the voice acting for Doc Manhattan.  He was TERRIBLE in the beginning, but by the end he had improved a decent amount.  Also, just for the sake of being nit-picky, Hooded Justice wasn't buff enough. 

Rorshach was PERFECT, absolutely, unbelievably, perfect.  I have to tell y'all, there was a moment, when he and Nite Owl are approaching Ozy's base in the arctic and Archie is stalling.  Rorshach starts expressing his concerns in his flat, clipped way, word for word out of the book.  That made me smile and chuckle from pure, geeky glee.  There were several moments like that, but that one really stuck out to me.  This was great.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

lugaru

My Watchmen review:

These times they are a'changin. It used to be that most comic books where considered inadaptable to the big screen, or if it got adapted dozens of things would have to change to get green lighted.  Hell, it was less than a year ago that we were all shocked to hear that Watchmen was going to take place in the 80's just like the comic does, instead of adapting it to the more accessible here and now. So now that most comic books can make it from the page to the screen while screaming "never compromise", the creative team becomes more important, since changes now feel like a matter of choice rather than necessity. Such is the case with Watchmen, which up to now was considered impossible to adapt. It turns out that yes, you can bring it to the screen with slavish reverence for the source material, yet directorial style still plays a huge part in the films tone and structure. In this case all of Zack Snyder's quirks make it into the movie and intertwine themselves with the original story producing great visuals while sometimes undermining the story with his lack of subtlety.

(read the whole thing @ the connoisseurs)
http://www.theconnoisseurs.com/watchmen.html

Voltimax

I've recently watched this film.
Fantastic film, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be seeing it again.
By far the best superhero film I have ever seen.
One thing that made it all the more enjoyable, was the fact that I haven't read the book. I am now in the process of reading it and the film seems pretty faithful to the book thus far, which is a rare thing.

Reepicheep

This film has hit my top 20, possibly top 10 when I give some thought to what the other 19 would be. Its the superhero equivalent to the Godfather in my eyes. It had everything: it was witty, the characters were perfect (Rorschach has gained a special place in my heart, right next to V), the plot was epic... No doubt this will become a classic.

I had no prior knowledge of what the Watchmen was about, so can't comment on the similarities of the comic. I will be able to in the future, though, since I bought the comic immediately after getting home.

kkhohoho

I thought the movie was allright. I felt that that they edited, added, and subtracted too much. (Including needless extra action and violence, which Watchmen was never about.)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Renegade

Hey Kids, COMICS!

daerdevil

I've been afraid to read this thread, and even more scared of seeing the movie.  Lots of opinions out there, both good and bad.  I've finally conquered my fear of reading angry fan boy posts and spoilers, and am quite pleased to see the majority of good remarks about the movie.  I'll have to make it a point to get out of the house and finally see this thing, in all of it's glory on the big screen.  Good to see that a Superhero movie doesn't have to be Hollywood-a-sized to be a hit.  So tired of having to see everything reduced to leather suits and Post 9/11 themes.

Tomato

I saw this movie a week ago, and I was very happy with it. It was a bit gratuitous on the violence+other stuff (this is still a child-friendly board  ;)), but at least as far as the violence is concerned, I at least understood it (the scene with Nite Owl+ Miss Jupiter was a bit overkill, however) because we're seeing this movie partly from the perspective of Rorschach, who isn't exactly Saturday Morning Watchmen material to begin with. In fact, the one scene I was actually afraid of actually watching, with the dead dogs (I've had to put down 2 pet dogs, not a happy subject for me) was actually one of the highlights of the movie for me. Not because of the dead dogs, but because it was in that moment that you understood why he became what he did. I hadn't actually gotten that part from the comic, because I skimmed past the dead dog stuff.