The old Human Torch is the new Captain America

Started by AncientSpirit, March 29, 2010, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostMachine

Apparently Joss Whedon is going to direct the Avengers movie.

So.....David Boreanaz as Namor, Nathan Fillion as Hawkeye, James Marsters as Vision, and Allison Hannigan as Wasp or the Scarlet Witch?

crimsonquill

Quote from: GhostMachine on April 13, 2010, 10:04:38 PM

I'd be okay with that.. cause Joss really is good with the right crew and Marvel has been holding strong with the casting choices and writing so far with their tie-in movies especially Iron Man.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: GhostMachine on April 13, 2010, 10:04:38 PM

So.....David Boreanaz as Namor, Nathan Fillion as Hawkeye, James Marsters as Vision, and Allison Hannigan as Wasp or the Scarlet Witch?

Nah, Hannigan is busy with a TV show.  Amy Acker as Scarlet Witch, Felicia Day as Wasp, Alexis Denisoff as Quicksilver

Previsionary

Quote from: http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.12060.captain_america_movie~colon~_peggy_carter_castMarvel Studios announced that Hayley Atwell has been cast to star as Peggy Carter in the studio’s highly anticipated movie "Captain America: The First Avenger" opposite Chris Evans.

In the early comics, Peggy Carter fell in love with Captain America while they fought together in the war effort. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige will produce "Captain America: The First Avenger".  Alan Fine, Stan Lee, David Maisel and Louis D’Esposito will executive produce.  The film will be released in the US on July 22, 2011 and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" will focus on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America.
Disappear when you least expe--

docdelorean88

I think this is a tad over the top, but i like this concept: http://tiguybou.deviantart.com/art/Captain-America-Concept-2-159230356

For the modern at least.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

style

Im actually feeling that concept very much! It makes so much sense It looks like it has a little bit of Tony Stark Stark Industries Technology in it! Which would be exactly the case! :thumbup:
The Ultimate Fan!

JeyNyce

It's not Cap's old costume, but it's way better than the Armor he was wearing in the 90's.  I like it, it goes with the Iron Man movie tie in.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

docdelorean88

I agree that elements of it are terrible, but i think its a good start. Heres a different angle: http://tiguybou.deviantart.com/art/Captain-America-Concept-159224459

BentonGrey

The relatively modern scale-mail version would work pretty well, so I'm hoping that's what we'll see.  Just include a line of dialog about it being an early version of kevlar, and bam!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Podmark

Can't say I like it. I'd prefer they stick close to Epting's Captain America art, maybe with a bit of Ultimate to it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

docdelorean88

I could see that, but i don't know if it would work in a modern story. I love the look, but how do you make it without making it look like a soar thumb next to Thor and Ironman later on.

herodad1

ahhh, go classic look captain america.in caps movie go classic. in the avengers movie tony can whip him up a classic look with high-tech materials.he doesnt need armor..he's got the shield!he's captain america not ironman.

captmorgan72

Definitely don't like it at all. :thumbdown: I actually really like the costume used in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. That would look good or at least something like it. 

Podmark

Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 03, 2010, 01:58:40 AMI actually really like the costume used in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

Yeah that's the direction I would go.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Ares_God_of_War

If the first one is a period peice I would like to see a costume like the original one in the Ultimates. Where it was similar to the military uniform at the time with a helmet and goggles.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/4929/074kr.jpg
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BentonGrey

I could live with the Ultimates version, but I want none of their stench on these movies.  I really want them just to go for it and do the classic look.
God Bless

Talavar

I could lose the head-wings.  They've always looked a little goofy to me, and generally speaking, human heads don't need hood ornaments

BentonGrey

God Bless

Ares_God_of_War

While the classic look is nostalgic and all I just don't see it working well with the current superhero movies. Let's face it these movies arent quite targeted just for fans of the comics alone. I'm sure Cap will be semi armored just like Batman is.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

Previsionary

Big superhero movies should never be targeted towards just fans. It's a niche. They always need to go for a widespread appeal just to earn their money back. The Losers and KA are prime examples of what can happen when you rely too much on a built-in, niche, audience. Both of those movies are being considered failures (or disappointments) despite their financial gains.

BentonGrey

Obviously not every element from the comics translates well to the big screen, but I hardly think the head wings would be the straw that broke that particular camel's back. 
God Bless

Podmark

Here's the MUA2 Cap:
Spoiler
That's the direction I'd like to see them go with the present day costume.

For WW2 I'd do something similar to the Ultimate design.

I'm in favor of the head wings, the Ultimate design always looks like it's missing something without them, but if they looked too goofy on a real life person I'd be willing to ditch them.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BlueBard

I suppose I would vote to lose the head wings unless the whole cowl is very well designed.  I think you could easily lose them without losing too much in the translation.  The things you can't change too drastically without totally losing resemblance to the character are the cowl's face, the chest/torso, and the shield.  The wings absolutely can not flop around or stick out too far; ideally they would be most visible from the side view if they're there.

I don't like the 'modern-armored' Cap approach for bunches of reasons. 

If Iron Man moves a bit stiffly, not a big deal.  He's supposed to be in a suit of armor.  For the ultimate athlete and fighting soldier, lack of mobility is a big problem.  If he looks like he's in heavy armor, that's way out of character.  Cap needs to move gracefully and fluidly and that getup is going to be anything but.  Thankfully it's just fan art at this point.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

herodad1

well guys we're talking about the 40's.the head wings fits perfect with that era.i dont have a problem with them because thats just part of caps look.when people start changing things its not done right then years later we have a cap reboot movie.from what ive read its gonna have a indiana jones,rocketeer,phantom feel to it.i cant wait to see cap fighting nazi's in ww2.let's not go with what we thinks gonna be better..lets go with whats worked all these MANY years.classic red, white, and blue CAPTAIN AMERICA!

Ares_God_of_War

Yes that look has worked for years to comic book fans. Batman in the new Nolan films has armor but doesn't have that in the comics, why? Mostly because for people outside of the comic book genre it is hard enough to suspend their disbelief at a man wearing tights and fighting crime. The headwings can be there or not for the first one but I think it would be more believable to have his WWII era uniform be more of a modified military uniform than a super hero costume.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 03, 2010, 06:33:33 PM
Yes that look has worked for years to comic book fans. Batman in the new Nolan films has armor but doesn't have that in the comics, why? Mostly because for people outside of the comic book genre it is hard enough to suspend their disbelief at a man wearing tights and fighting crime. The headwings can be there or not for the first one but I think it would be more believable to have his WWII era uniform be more of a modified military uniform than a super hero costume.

Ares, Spiderman, Hulk, and Iron Man have all proven that audiences are perfectly capable of accepting comic book characters as worthwhile without them being filtered through an extensive revision process.  You, and many of the suits in Hollywood, are working from false assumptions.  Comics these days havea  high enough profile that audience are able to deal with some of the more "comic-y" elements. 
God Bless

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 03, 2010, 07:03:41 PM
Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on May 03, 2010, 06:33:33 PM

Ares, Spiderman, Hulk, and Iron Man have all proven that audiences are perfectly capable of accepting comic book characters as worthwhile without them being filtered through an extensive revision process.  You, and many of the suits in Hollywood, are working from false assumptions.  Comics these days havea  high enough profile that audience are able to deal with some of the more "comic-y" elements. 

Ares?

Previsionary

He was referring to the poster named "Ares" as opposed to the mythological, DC, and Marvel character named Ares. He probably should have structured that sentence better to account for the distinction. :P

BentonGrey

God Bless