• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Supergroup ideas...

Started by The_Baroness, January 06, 2008, 02:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Baroness

Well... here it is my first skin... or should i say my shameless COH textures kitbashing.... yup.. i got some COH textures and used tthem into this aprximation at a char i made there with my trial account some time ago... hope you like them.. i just got a bunch of textures and been adapting them to Freedom Force... so... what do you think?

i will still do some touches or at least would try to

GGiant

It's cool, hmm...did you avoid highlighting, I noticed it has a very few number of highlights. ^_^
Oh and to get your work critiqued, I would say go to Mesh Matters. :D

The_Baroness

well yes.. still need to learn more about highlights.. so i just did the shiny metals and thats all... oh and if any real skinner does want some of those textures i could send them when i finish  in a couple of days, kinda lazy getting them :P

catastrophe

i think you managed toe kitbashing pretty good, tho the mask's eyes looks a bit big for her face id call it a pretty decent first skin :)

Dr.Volt

Say, that's a pretty nice first skin!  I would agree that the mask seems too big...and actually the zipper down her front torso does too for some reason.  But I really like her overall design!  Archers rock!  Good work!  Keep 'em comin'!!

catastrophe

Quote from: The_Baroness on January 06, 2008, 02:44:12 PM
well yes.. still need to learn more about highlights.. so i just did the shiny metals and thats all... oh and if any real skinner does want some of those textures i could send them when i finish  in a couple of days, kinda lazy getting them :P

oooh, id love to have those textures! if its not to much to ask :)

The_Baroness

No problem... now that I'm officially free on my well deserved summer vacation i can finish my job of taking all those textures... well at least the ones i like more ;)

And yes, for some reason the zipper looks bigger over the breasts...will see what i can do with that and thank you for your comments :)

Tomato

Quote from: The_Baroness on January 07, 2008, 02:39:07 PM
No problem... now that I'm officially free on my well deserved summer vacation i can finish my job of taking all those textures... well at least the ones i like more ;)

And yes, for some reason the zipper looks bigger over the breasts...will see what i can do with that and thank you for your comments :)

Unfortunately, it's a mesh issue... for some reason most female meshes (sans VX meshes) have that warping issue.

Cyber Burn

Since the zipper has alteady been spoken about, the only two thngs that I would consider for improvement, would be:

1) The use of effects, it's really hard to tell if your metals (ie. the zipper) have any reflection to them

2) Maybe outline onder the mask to create the illusion of a shadow.

Otherwise, that is is an outstanding first skin.  Great Job.

Lionheart

Quote from: Cyber Burn on January 07, 2008, 06:56:13 PM
Since the zipper has alteady been spoken about, the only two thngs that I would consider for improvement, would be:

1) The use of effects, it's really hard to tell if your metals (ie. the zipper) have any reflection to them

2) Maybe outline onder the mask to create the illusion of a shadow.

Otherwise, that is is an outstanding first skin.  Great Job.

On my screen the reflection shows up pretty good on the metals. Remember that in a still shot like this, they won't be as noticible as in an active view.

But to echo the others, this is a great adaptation. Please continue.  :)

I tried putting together a "base" skin from the CoH pigg files, but never got the hands and feet to work well. So that project got sidelined for now.

The_Baroness

Thank you for your comments, i fixed the zipper and looks a lot better now, and made some minor adjustments to the legs.

Here it is a picture of that and 2 faces for her one with her eyes showing and the other with smaller white eyes, and.... a base skin i made for the leather 3 costume of COH ready to be colored and used in anything that comes to mind

and one very important thing the base i used for this is from C6

SnowMan

Quote from: The_Baroness on January 08, 2008, 02:43:33 AM
Thank you for your comments, i fixed the zipper and looks a lot better now, and made some minor adjustments to the legs.

Here it is a picture of that and 2 faces for her one with her eyes showing and the other with smaller white eyes, and.... a base skin i made for the leather 3 costume of COH ready to be colored and used in anything that comes to mind

and one very important thing the base i used for this is from C6

the chick in the white looks like The Boss from metal gear solid 3.

Swingman

They look nice. Especially the white girl. That's a tight leatherlike outfit right there.

The_Baroness

Well...  after some wonderfull time enjoying my summer vacation disconnected from the world... here it is some of the things i have done... the adapted textures of coh for the females of freedom force and an update to my emerald huntress that i think looks way better ;)

and the updated emerald huntress... though i still need to improve more

Hope you like them :) and any comment would be appreciated

Protomorph

bearded

those would make great bases for recolors.

Outcast

Quote from: bearded on February 13, 2008, 08:37:10 PM
those would make great bases for recolors.

It sure would. Very nice work on the different textures/designs.

daglob

These are all quite nice.

So now I have to raise the quality of my own skins again...

The_Baroness

Thanks for the comments, I'll be uploading them on my yahoo group today and will begin with the males.. i must say adapting this textures have helped and teached me a lot of things

Dr.Volt

Nice work on all these!  I especially like the Tech Modern and the normal Emerald Huntress's outfit.  Great job on the texturing as well.

The_Baroness

Well today took a rest from that texture adapting and felt the urge to have my lovely scrapper in Freedom  Force so.. here she is... Gothic Doll...

it came out a lot better than i expected :)

Outcast

Nice costume design and character.

Maybe you could work on the seams and highlights some more.

Hey, so far so good. :thumbup:

The_Baroness

Well... thanks for the comment... this is my first attempt to use highlights and work on the seams...

i think looks better than before but i hope i will improve some more

Outcast

Wish i could offer you more advise or tips on skinning, but i believe there are more qualified people (experienced skinners) here,that could do a way better job at that.  ^_^

Like they say, practice makes perfect. You'll definitely improve if you keep going at it. :)

Deaths Jester

Quote from: The_Baroness on February 16, 2008, 05:50:31 AM
Well... thanks for the comment... this is my first attempt to use highlights and work on the seams...

i think looks better than before but i hope i will improve some more

Here top seems to kinda of "ooze" into her skin...as if it's painted on rather than being a seperate piece of cloth/clothing.  I'd suggest making it look as if the clothing is casting a shadow on the skin while adding a bit of highlight to the clothing.  In the end I guess I'm trying to say...take ye Phtoshop line tool, set it on a one thickness and goa round certain areas with black (blur it after wards) and then on the inside of those places ye put it (following on how )....ye know what...the more I looka t what I'm trying to say the more it gets confusing becuase there's no pics...let me put together a tutorial for what I'm talking about.

-DJ

The_Baroness

:doh: :lol: yes... those where my expresions, really got confused :) but thank you , thank you a lot for your help

The_Baroness

Well.. I'm kinda stuck adapting the textures to male skins... not satisfied with what i have now so i tried to do a few thigns to see if i can mprove a little... i used some old skins as a guide to what i wanted and here it is what came up

A first attempt to skin Valkyrie from CoH, nightshade and phobia, tried to follow as much as i could the original skins...

comments suggestions, please tell em how cnai improve this :)

Carravaggio

This is teh thrid time I've looked at this post, and I'm still trying to collate my thoughts on it...
The skin using the COH texture: Quite simply I'd either reduce the brightness of the reflect layer, change your lightmap, or make you refl layer correspond with the detail on the skin, as it stands you have this general single reflection over the body and it's obscuring the detail. Doesn't Valkyrie have large headwings? I'm pretty sure you could skope those from a Thor mesh.

As for the other two, the colours are nice and strong, but the edges of the materials blur together.

I feel a skin needs to be crisp and sharp with obvious detail, especially since we will be viewing these characters from a distance in FF. Nightshade would look infinitely better with some simple highlights detailing the edges of the colours.

Where the Purple meets the black, use the brightest purple to draw a one pixel thick line around the purple parts. Use black to do the same around the balck parts, meaning the two lines should exist exactly next to each other.

Download the skins of an artist you like and study how they used lines and seams to create the illusion of depth and detail on a skin.

I would suggest tracking down some good tutorials, especially those that deal with highlights (Lunarman and Murs both have made skinning tutorials recently) applying them to your skins in the future as it helps create mass and dimension on an otherwise flat object.
I look forward to seeing an update soon.

The_Baroness

I want to thank you for the comments Caravaggio, was putting them to practice when i had a major crash... now i am putting my pc back together, and thankfully had almost all the FF stuff backed... so i will try to improve... but as i said before... just a newbie in a very hard craft :)

AfghanAnt

Your style remind me a lot of AllyCat's. I really love the textures you created. Top notch.