Main Menu

Influx Bible

Started by Tomato, November 19, 2013, 06:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I have been waiting 2 days to post this properly:

Influx: Series Bible

Glitch Girl

It's a very nice start. I can tell you've done a lot of world building in your head before any of this even hit virtual paper.  Obviously there is a lot more to do but a few random thoughts as I was reading:

• I don't have a really good handle on the setting yet. You mentioned the White House, which made me think Earth Modern, but then I got into the Magic section and it had a very Final Fantasy feel.  Is this an alternate Earth where magic has always been prominent, or is did magic "awaken" (a la Shadowrun), or is much of the overall story arc going to involve world hopping?
  • Ch'nybe is mentioned several times.  I would like to see the entry on whoever that is.  They seem important.
  • Might be nice to include some pictures of these characters in these entries.  I'm pretty sure I've seen your art of them around, but including images would be good for reference.
  • Also. some more personal data might be nice: personality quirks, opinions, phobias, favorite things, family, supporting characters in their life, etc.  Using Tomato as an example, how DOES he feel about having a Tomato for a head (or can he turn that aspect off)?  Why was he investigating the influx of heroes: curiosity, hero worship, desire for power..? Does he have living family and what do they think of all this?  Is there something he does out of habit when he's nervous, excited, or bored?  Does he or did he have a hobby before this all went down?
I look forward to more soon.  Good luck.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

Quote from: Glitch Girl on November 20, 2013, 02:40:35 PM
It's a very nice start. I can tell you've done a lot of world building in your head before any of this even hit virtual paper.  Obviously there is a lot more to do but a few random thoughts as I was reading:

• I don't have a really good handle on the setting yet. You mentioned the White House, which made me think Earth Modern, but then I got into the Magic section and it had a very Final Fantasy feel.  Is this an alternate Earth where magic has always been prominent, or is did magic "awaken" (a la Shadowrun), or is much of the overall story arc going to involve world hopping?
  • Ch'nybe is mentioned several times.  I would like to see the entry on whoever that is.  They seem important.
  • Might be nice to include some pictures of these characters in these entries.  I'm pretty sure I've seen your art of them around, but including images would be good for reference.
  • Also. some more personal data might be nice: personality quirks, opinions, phobias, favorite things, family, supporting characters in their life, etc.  Using Tomato as an example, how DOES he feel about having a Tomato for a head (or can he turn that aspect off)?  Why was he investigating the influx of heroes: curiosity, hero worship, desire for power..? Does he have living family and what do they think of all this?  Is there something he does out of habit when he's nervous, excited, or bored?  Does he or did he have a hobby before this all went down?
I look forward to more soon.  Good luck.

• I plan to have a dedicated section just on this, but the narrative of Influx is actually segmented into two different segments: You've got Tomato's world, which is the modern world just with a bunch of heroes from FR, and you've got the "Core Planets," about 12 or so (I still need to sit down and nail down specifics on this) human-inhabited planets which are much more Final Fantasy-esque in nature. Pretty much everyone else in Influx actually come from the latter, but they're all trying to blend in.
  • Ch'nybe/Darek is actually next on my list of characters to describe, but a large portion of his later growth was tied into how magic worked and I needed to establish some of that beforehand in order for it to make sense. He's a HUGE part of the series for me, and I'm trying to do justice to all the little nuances I added to him. And dang it, I just realized I missed an important detail with Magic I'd intended to include for that very reason. I guess I'll be modifying that post later as well >.<
  • I think I shall do that as soon as I finish this post.
  • Hmmm... I had actually intended to add some character traits like mannerisms and personal ticks (it's a big part of some characters I've yet to write) but I was just drawing a blank when writing Tomato and Mahty's bios. I might go back and modify them later, once I've shaken some of the blank spots out of my brain.