The Truth about Mentor's Human Appearance

Started by Merchant, September 14, 2016, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merchant

I have always wondered since :ff: but never seen discussion on it.

Mentor is from the Domain.
All the others from the Domain look like Lord Dominion, Praetor and the Alien Troops. There may be other races serving in lower classes, it is never shown, but only those named are.
Mentor always came across as one of them. His Origin makes his shadowy figure look like them.

So why does he look human with a really large head all the time?
Is he actually another race?
Does he mind control everyone in sight with an illusion? A helluva powerful one if true.
Is it a gadget?
Some other tin foil hat theory?  :lol:

BentonGrey

Hey Merchant, interesting question!  Yeah, I've pondered that too.  I THINK the comic adaptation actually showed him in his Dominion form at one point in time, but it is possible I imagined that. 

I'm almost 100% positive that he's the same race as Dominion and the rest, part of the Domain.  I assume that he either has some holographic technology or uses a low-level mental projection to make people see him as something less frightening.  Basically, I've always thought of it as something akin to Martian Manhunter (who Mentor is modeled after), with similar results but a different mechanism.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on September 14, 2016, 10:31:32 PM
Hey Merchant, interesting question!  Yeah, I've pondered that too.  I THINK the comic adaptation actually showed him in his Dominion form at one point in time, but it is possible I imagined that. 

I'm almost 100% positive that he's the same race as Dominion and the rest, part of the Domain.  I assume that he either has some holographic technology or uses a low-level mental projection to make people see him as something less frightening.  Basically, I've always thought of it as something akin to Martian Manhunter (who Mentor is modeled after), with similar results but a different mechanism.

Pretty much what Benton is saying. I was always under the assumption that he had some sort of illusion going on.

Maybe it's that headband of his? None of the other Dominion guys seem to have mental capabilities, so perhaps that headband is what gives him his powers? The Dominion has some pretty wicked technology, so it's possible :P

BentonGrey

Interesting thought, Spyder.  I do believe the native image of Mentor was also wearing the headband, so that could be a factor.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

skyflyerjen

I agree with the illusion idea.  The first time we see Mentor, he (his shadow) looks like the others.  I can only assume he's using his mental powers to appear human.