Marvel Movies

Started by JeyNyce, October 28, 2014, 06:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Spoiler
You mean Fietro?

I think the implication is that what she saw was an actual Sokovian witch or whatever it was called... Similar to how Agatha clearly inherited her powers, Wanda probably has the bloodline of other magic users.

This does open the door to something though... The stone clearly supercharged her, but the implication that she's had powers this whole time leads back around to her being... Well, a mutant. Or this universe's equivalent.

I kinda hope the surprise guest at the end of this is MCU Pietro. It wouldn't have the weight of the mando cameo per se... But God I'd love to see a quicksilver fight, that'd be so cool.

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
Quote from: Tomato on February 26, 2021, 05:04:20 PM
You mean Fietro?

*Sigh* Yes. I'm never calling him that. It doesn't roll off the tongue right for me.

QuoteI think the implication is that what she saw was an actual Sokovian witch or whatever it was called... Similar to how Agatha clearly inherited her powers, Wanda probably has the bloodline of other magic users.

I imagine you're right, but I like to think they purposely made the figure at the very least resemble Wanda's comic design.

The fact that they namedropped "Chaos Magic."....they know what they're doing. Per usual.

QuoteThis does open the door to something though... The stone clearly supercharged her, but the implication that she's had powers this whole time leads back around to her being... Well, a mutant. Or this universe's equivalent.

Seems like.

The thing about Wanda (and Vision) is, and this made me look forward to the show, as much as I took to them, they have rather limited screentime prior to this show. Which means there's a lot of room to add to them and give a greater sense as to who these people are and what they've been doing.

Which is why that scene with the house is so sad...the feels...

QuoteI kinda hope the surprise guest at the end of this is MCU Pietro. It wouldn't have the weight of the mando cameo per se... But God I'd love to see a quicksilver fight, that'd be so cool.

Pietro vs Fake Pietro would be interesting. But it could come off as too similar to Flash vs a bad guy speedster, but this is the MCU, I like to think they'll come up with something suitably inspired and impressive.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Wandavision Ep 9:

Well, it was certainly the epic, satisfying finale I was expecting and predicting from the start. If this show was shorter one could indeed fairly easily imagine it as a MCU movie.

Spoiler
Very nice touch giving all the major characters a moment to shine.

Vision defeats Vision using logic, while Wanda basically pulls a Tony Stark to defeat Agatha.

"That's some outfit you got there"

Yeah, it's MCU Wanda's Scarlet Witch outfit. It's certainly different. And also was totally featured in the earliest promo art in plain sight, in a limited capacity.

Haven't entirely decided how I feel about how Fietro Fake Pietro shook out, once again Evan Peters Quicksilver is really pathetic, but we also never got a setpiece moment. I haven't decided if it was funny and a nice bit of fanservice or a missed opportunity, a mean spirited take that mixed with sour grapes or a combination of all of that. Maybe that was the point, that he was a phony and no replacement for the original. As the comic version of Vision once said "Copies are never superior."

Speed taking all of the SWORD guy's guns, and the guy's hat just for added fun, that was a fun moment, and, I like to assume, a solid callback to some of the best Quicksilver moments from the comics (everyone's seen the one from Busik/Alan Davis, but strangely the "Super Speed Gun Juggling" scene from his own solo remains obscure). Kid seems to take after his uncle for sure.

Wanda having to give up her fake family landed more or less how I expected, but with her in far more control of her life than she'd been previously, and good for her, she's earned it by now.

Yet, as much as I enjoyed the ride, it feels strangely anti-climatic. Even with two post-credit scenes promising future projects, each lining up perfectly with what you'd expect, I found myself expecting more. Something that really got me hyped as hell. Maybe that's the downside of knowing so much about how the sausage is made in the internet age, is that you can see a bit too many steps ahead.

About a day or so before this episode went out, Paul Bettany talked again about the super special cameo actor he's never acted alongside....because it was him, playing Vision vs Vision. He said it was meant to be a bit of an inside joke.

Hey, hype machine gonna hype. And lots of people gonna watch week to week regardless, and Vision defeating himself with philosophy about his own existence and state of being is kinda brilliant.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I'll post more in-depth Spoiler-y thoughts once my brain is fully awake and I've done my second full watch-through (I watch it before work so I can survive Twitter during the day, and then after work with roommates) but I wanted to let everyone here know: Post Mid-Credit AND Post Credit scenes with this one. Nothing earth shaking, but thought I'd mention it.

Shogunn2517

I don't want to sound like a "told you so" for a spoiler alert... but for those who like NBC procedural dramas...

Spoiler
I first saw the the SWORD Director Tyler Hayward(Josh Stamberg) playing a pompous and dirty judge on a Law and Order SVU episode like a week before came on Wandavision  so a part me assumed he was going to turn out being at least a jerk by the end so it wasn't such a surprise  ;)

Silver Shocker

Spoiler
Kinda like Clancey Brown playing a corrupt military man in the Punisher plot of Daredevil S2.

Then again, CSI featured JLU Superman voice actor George Newbern and Alan Tudyk circa Wash from Firefly as sex offenders, so sometimes but not always.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Oh geez.
Well, I know I have vastly different tastes from most people here, ha ha.
This review sums up my thoughts pretty well:
https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/wandavision-finale-review/

The thoughts are negative, and don't click that link if you don't want spoilers, of course!

Spoiler
It is neat to watch them set up their next Avengers though.
White Vision? Photon (or can she use Captain Marvel, too)? Okay, sure.

Silver Shocker

That reviewer kinda reads like there were inspired by Roger Ebert.

It's definitely a show where how much you liked it or got out of it depends on what aspects of it appeal or don't appeal to you. As I said from the start, I'm biased as crap, so I was going to like this thing no matter what.

Big CGI finale....some people are rolling their eyes at it, ok, fair enough, I get that. Me personally I loved it.

Watching it for the memes? Yeah, sometimes - not always, but sometimes - the reason the product launches a lot of memes is because a lot of people really really enjoyed it. Not all internet appreciation is of the ironic variety. Just a lot of it.

As for Wanda herself:

Spoiler

I originally phrased it as "Wanda's in a better place." And I changed it to "in control of her life." Because she's definitely more in control of her life, but in terms of the post-credit scene.....eh, to be continued.

Mind you, one review I watched outright called Wanda a villain, which....I mean, that's not entirely wrong. They were making an extended point about perspective, but still.

Me personally? More than anything else, I feel letdown because I saw promo posters with Wanda wearing an armored suit that was only shown through a tv at torso-length and I got excited for a sequence where the entire family was a family of Visions, and it never happened. That's a winning bit right there, in addition to a solid reference to the comics.  :(

I'll concede, the ending is a bit unclear and rushed in spots. Darcy has about a second-and-a-half of screentime before being written out off-screen with a one-line explanation, Agatha got trapped in a make-believe world that got undone about 2 scenes later, with no indication what happened to her after that (unless I and other people missed it), and Pale Vision.....that one I'm genuinely intrigued by.

Mind you, I'm firmly of the opinion the scene where Nebula calls the Guardians and the Drax vs Thanos smackdown 100% should have made it into Infinity War, Endgame needed to be at least 5-10 minutes longer, to explain some stuff that warranted explanation, and, while the trench scene was rightly excised, Mantis confusing Past-Gamora for a "zombie" should have made it in because it's hysterical, so I'm naturally going to say this thing that had a good 10-15 minutes of wrapup still could have used a few minutes more.

I didn't mention this in my original post, but there's something incredibly appropriate about the first MCU tv show in this set ending with a post credit scene where Sam Jackson's Nick Fury wants a meet and greet with the new super hero, considering that's how this entire enterprise started.

~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I enjoyed it. I grew up on a lot of sitcoms myself (mostly different ones than the ones showcased, but let's be honest, there's no way they were touching the Cosby show) and I've had mental health issues as well.

As mentioned, I watched it with my roommates, who are invested in the MCU but not really comic fans, and they loved it. Usually they aggressively wait until a series is out to watch it, but after making them watch through episode 5 (because I knew how the internet would be... and sure enough one's MMO clan started talking about it an hour or so after) they were right there with me week to week. It's not something I would want 20 seasons of or think should be an ongoing standard (I'm fine with Falcon and Winter Soldier being a more traditional superhero romp just as a chaser) but it did what it was trying to do very very well.

HarryTrotter

WandaVision start off great. It has clever writing,great performances,style...and it ends in a cgi battle,skybeams and setup for the next movie (Captain Marvel 2). For a moment,I was afraid Marvel was actually taking a risk with something here,but thank gods,it was just MCU s02e17.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

As Splinter said when he was called a Mr. Miyagi fan, "Just so, Michealangelo."  ^_^

I was watching a review just last night that didn't care for how the finale shook out and I'm like "Eh, fair enough, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Especially after this many Superhero things doing that kind of stuff". But I did call that on here like week one, that it was functionally a three-act superhero movie spread into 9 episodes, so eh.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

I'm fine with it. I think I'd have liked it a bit more if they had been able to include some of the cut sequences (the director went on a podcast and brought up that whole sections of it  were filmed, but didn't make the final episode because post production was derailed by Covid) but as is it's fine. I think the emotional bits, such as visions farewell, delivered enough of a punch for me.

I dunno, I think some people were expecting stuff like X-Men to come out of this, and that clearly wasn't the intent. The door got opened I think, but i think some fans were expecting some giant sweeping changes to the mcu... And frankly, that was never gonna happen in a miniseries on a streaming platform that not everyone has access to.

BentonGrey

Well, apparently the trailer for The Eternals was recently released.  I guess I'm out of the loop, because I had no idea it was that far along, and I have heard absolutely nothing about it.  The trailer looks...interesting?  I have no real clue what it's about after watching it.  I haven't read any of the comics, so I only have a vague notion of what the characters are about anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Yeah,the trailer is kinda boring. And doesn't really tell us what the movie is about. The whole thing feels like a big budget mulligan of the Inhumans concept.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Hmm, I think that's well said.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Nyte Dragon

I agree with Benton, it looks... okay. Nothing mind blowing, nothing making me say "I've got to see this, NOW!", like alot of previous movies have. But it does open up alot of questions.
If they 'watched and guided' humanity from early on, that means the y have some sort of interest in us. So where were they during either Infinity War or Endgame? Wouldn't they be affected by the blip/snap like every other creature in existence? They're watching us, so they must know the danger Thanos posed. And if SnP-Master T wasn't a big enough threat for them to expose themselves, what motivates them to do so now?
I was holding on to hope for this movie. Not because I'm a fan of the characters. Marvel managed to take another group of relatively unknown characters (GotG), and made a fun-filled action/comedy series of films. But I'm just not feeling it here. I'll still try to be optimistic and keep a wait and see attitude.
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

BentonGrey

Yeah, I had the same thought about Thanos.  If these guys have been on Earth and involved through all that time, it does rather raise questions. 
God Bless

UnkoMan

I've always liked the Eternals a lot. And the Inhumans. Despite both of them having a ton of really different takes in the comic books, the original Kirby stuff is great.
I didn't bother to watch the Inhumans show though, ha ha ha.

Like you said, the Eternals DOES feel like a mulligan. Like how Shang Chi feels like a mulligan for Iron Fist (and the Mandarin).
Shang I'm a little excited for, hoping it lives up to the promise that one scene of the old lady in the first season of Daredevil instilled in me. The promise of cool martial arts.

Eternals, I dunno. It feels like it would be best to stay away from information and come in blind, with no expectations in any way.
It definitely looks like they want to go for a big sweeping drama, which is what Eternals should be, but I don't really think they can pull it off, ha ha. AND, in universe... Yeah, them not revealing themselves to fight Thanos is pretty weird. I am 100% sure they are not going with Thanos being a Titanian/Titan Eternal in the movieverse. He's just, what, a random alien from question mark? But still, even without that loose connection, you'd think they'd be interested...
Anyhow, seems really difficult to do a sweeping epic in a single movie, but good luck to them. I just hope it doesn't fall to the standard cliches.

HarryTrotter

Eternals is an assemble movie. You have to introduce a whole bunch of characters at once and make them distinct and interesting. And you saw the Justice League. And the general audience was pretty familiar with those characters. And the trailer is just Rob Stark on a triangle space ship. Not the best sell.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Very interesting, Unko!  I'll be curious about your take on the movie when it comes out.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Finally took the few minutes to watch it.
It's ok, but not enticing.

Talking about the "we've always been here" story premise, it's possible there will be an explanation for that in the film itself, but in general I feel the effects of the Blip are underwritten, strictly to make the world feel more recognizably like "our world" when I don't believe it would be. It started with me joking that the Fortnite servers would not still be up and went from there.

QuoteAnd you saw the Justice League. And the general audience was pretty familiar with those characters.

True as that was, Justice League and the characters that were in that movie had their own, very DC-Warner Bros specific issues that don't have a lot to do with the way Marvel's done it. People knew who the Hulk, Iron Man, Cap and Thor were by the time The Avengers came out, and that movie was super successful.

I half-joked for years that the Inhumans movie was never going to come out, and while I joked, I genuinely believed that and it didn't happen. It got made as a quickly forgotten tv show seemingly everyone except me and my viewing group hated.

Eternals, whatever it is, isn't that.

QuoteI am 100% sure they are not going with Thanos being a Titanian/Titan Eternal in the movieverse. He's just, what, a random alien from question mark?

Thanos does mention his home planet was Titan, but how he was born, to whom, and where his strength comes from could be explored at some point.

QuoteMarvel managed to take another group of relatively unknown characters (GotG), and made a fun-filled action/comedy series of films.

I actually didn't like the original trailer for GotG when I first saw it, finding it far too different in tone compared to the comics. James Gunn and the cast won me over, like many others, and that reflected his style. Don't know about this one. The director's body of work, from what I looked up, is nothing like Gunn's.

I think it could work - Marvel's managed to hit a certain standard very reliably and is so successful they can shake off basically everything - so it'll probably be fine.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Avengers had several movies before to establish the characters,while JL didn't really. And the fixed version is 4 hours long. And Eternals is throwing a whole bunch of characters, out at once. So they will either end up undistinguishable and generic; or the movie would have to be 3-4 hours long.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: HarryTrotter on May 30, 2021, 06:57:43 AM
Avengers had several movies before to establish the characters,while JL didn't really. And the fixed version is 4 hours long. And Eternals is throwing a whole bunch of characters, out at once. So they will either end up undistinguishable and generic; or the movie would have to be 3-4 hours long.

That is true. Hawkeye didn't get much content though.

Guardians worked out. But Guardians also has a tree with a limited vocabulary, and while I appreciate that they got Rocket's origin in there, it's breezed by very quickly during a drunken rambling.
I also feel Drax is underused (so does Batista, but Batista always wants more primo material)
Surely they can do better than the X-Men movies where we often got "This person is also in the movie a little bit"
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 30, 2021, 06:45:49 AM
QuoteI am 100% sure they are not going with Thanos being a Titanian/Titan Eternal in the movieverse. He's just, what, a random alien from question mark?

Thanos does mention his home planet was Titan, but how he was born, to whom, and where his strength comes from could be explored at some point.

Oh, did he?? Oops, sorry. I missed that.
Hmm, I wonder if they will talk about this then? Not that it needs to.

Eternals feels like they might have to focus more on certain characters. Sersi shows up in the trailer a lot. I could see having some kind of Sersi/Ikaris/Black Knight love triangle, but I honestly have no idea where they are going to take it. There's a ton of different material, and it can vary a lot depending on their plans.
Like, are they laying groundwork for a new version of the Avengers? Does this version contain Black Knight and Sersi?

I've been pretty off of Marvel for a bit now, with a lot of projects feeling like ads for the next project, which is a feeling they've had before.
For me, Wandavision, while having a dope premise, ended up feeling like just an ad for Dr. Strange 2 and Captain Marvel 2. Falcon/Winter Soldier was definitely just an ad for Captain America 4 or whatever they'll call it.
Setup is cool but not when there's basically nothing going on in the main program other than this.
So if they can drop that feeling AND they can not do their very tried origin trope of having the main character fight their double as the villain, then I can get on board.
(Yes, deviants are a lot like "bad" eternals, but they're cool monsters!)

STILL, I would have liked to see an epic Game of Thrones style one season series for them.

(EDIT: I would like to say I ended up rereading Eternals original run and it's way less good than I remembered, ha ha ha. But the basic ideas are cool. I've always loved space gods and hidden peoples)

BentonGrey

New Spider-Man trailer has dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVSRXqsCDw

It looks...interesting.  I'm not sure how I feel about all of this, but I bet it will be a lot of fun.
God Bless

Panther_Gunn

Saw the trailer on TV tonight.  I'm getting a bit of a Brand New Day vibe from it.  I hope I'm wrong, or that they find a successful way to do it.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Silver Shocker

I'm certainly curious how this film will turn out, but I must say I'm intrigued. I genuinely want to see this.

Spoiler
Oh man, Alfred Molina as Doc Ock at the end looking so great. I'm looking forward to him, I'm looking forward to seeing the Goblin. This should be an interesting movie for sure.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

So multiverse is the new gimmick, it seems. I hope they don't overdo it,but I know this is going to become a new CGI hole in the sky for the genre.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I am getting a bit iffy on it, especially since Spidey is indeed dipping his toes in that pool, but I guess we'll see how it fares.

Something else I wanted to bring to people's attention.

For anyone reading this who might be interested and have D+ or might get it later, Disney recently added the Blu-Ray short "All Hail The King" introducing the concept of the true Mandarin, who is of course the villain of Shang-Chi. I wholeheartedly approve of this. So anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to check out this nifty and sort of important curiosity in the MCU back catalogue, you now have a decent opportunity. I'll likely re watch it around the time I end up watching Shang-Chi, which I've heard is getting great reviews. Supposedly the true Mandarin is one of the best MCU villains yet.
~Rocky Balboa

GhostMachine

Yes, but what I've heard is that
Spoiler
The Mandarin is Shang-Chi's father.  I know they couldn't use Fu Manchu, but still....meh. Making an Iron Man villain to a Shang-Chi one? Meh.