Marvel's Ant-Man(The NEXT Avenger)

Started by Shogunn2517, March 21, 2013, 06:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

I wouldn't worry about Michael Douglas being a fit. He's a versatile actor, not a typecast one. His recent performance as Liberace and past ones in Ghost And The Darkness and Falling Down for example give enough credibility that he can stretch and has the chops to assimilate a character properly. I think this movie will be a hit. I think it probably sway from the source material and earn disfavor naturally from the comic community. Personally it makes me think of Blade. Part of what made Blade so successful was it was something out of left field and that left a lot of room for interpretation. And that one dug Marvel out of bankruptcy and kicked of the whole Marvel movie trend we have now. That's sort of made of straw I know, but in the same vein so is making failure presumptions about a film centered around Ant-Man. 

Tomato

My fear is less that I don't think I'd enjoy a film about Antman (my original username was ANTMANanext after all), my only concern is that this thing has been in limbo for like, 5 years. When fans jump up and shout "It's progressing!" when they make a logo, I think I'm justified in having a fair amount of concern.

SickAlice

I think your just seeing it from the wrong vantage point. Marvel Studios plans it's movies in advance and releases them accordingly to where they need to be placed to line up the Cinematic Universe's structure. Kevin Feige often has gone into great detail on that. Ant-Man is exactly where it needs to be and when. On our end of the spectrum however we live in the digital age and are recipients of the 24 hours news cycle, also as I've mentioned before we're inherently spoiled consumers with both high expectations and " now " desires ingrained. It should all be a click away and without interruptions is what we have been taught. It should all be fair. The thing is like most films, we heard about Ant-Man way in advance. As far as I recall the first time I heard it dropped was in a Stan Lee interview, who also mentioned S.H.I.E.L.D., Dr.Strange and Power Pack among others at the time. Speculative news articles exploded on the internet immediately after. So in reality " limbo " was actually " on hold " until the time was right to finish and unveil the film. I have hard time believing it would not come out soon as well, aside from that at this stage any relative merch is already in production and now waiting for the film but more the understanding that this film is the prelude to Avengers 2 being that it explains how Ultron came to be so A2 doesn't have to focus on that much like how the first Avengers movie's cast were introduced previously allowing it to focus on it's own storyline. The release date could be subject to change but I think that's just normal. The first X-Men went through it even though it was released earlier than originally decided (coinciding with the toy and game manufacturers wanting to get a jump on the market) which of course was pleasing to people anticipating it rather than the disappointment they would have felt if it came to light they would have to wait longer, again a harder task in this day in age since we're alerted to things far sooner than we should be and often muddled with misleading news that's often only concerned with trending. This makes it " seem " like films are moving along slowly. I don't think you have to worry, at base I feel they would get it out in due time if anything just because of the importance of Avengers 2 and the fact it hinges on the Ant-Man film already being in place.

Starman

It wasn't in "limbo" because of concerns over the quality (has Edgar Wright ever had his name on an inferior product?) ... more likely concerns over how the character was going to fit into a connected series of films and whether anyone was likely to go and see a film about a lower-tier character.

Due to their financial success, Marvel are obviously willing to take more of a risk on Ant-Man and Guardians of The Galaxy as they expand their brand past the core Avengers ... I'm actually looking forward to these two films because I think Edgar Wright and James Gunn are really talented.

Tomato

Quote from: SickAlice on May 06, 2014, 12:38:02 AM
I think your just seeing it from the wrong vantage point. Marvel Studios plans it's movies in advance and releases them accordingly to where they need to be placed to line up the Cinematic Universe's structure. Kevin Feige often has gone into great detail on that. Ant-Man is exactly where it needs to be and when. On our end of the spectrum however we live in the digital age and are recipients of the 24 hours news cycle, also as I've mentioned before we're inherently spoiled consumers with both high expectations and " now " desires ingrained. It should all be a click away and without interruptions is what we have been taught. It should all be fair. The thing is like most films, we heard about Ant-Man way in advance. As far as I recall the first time I heard it dropped was in a Stan Lee interview, who also mentioned S.H.I.E.L.D., Dr.Strange and Power Pack among others at the time. Speculative news articles exploded on the internet immediately after. So in reality " limbo " was actually " on hold " until the time was right to finish and unveil the film. I have hard time believing it would not come out soon as well, aside from that at this stage any relative merch is already in production and now waiting for the film but more the understanding that this film is the prelude to Avengers 2 being that it explains how Ultron came to be so A2 doesn't have to focus on that much like how the first Avengers movie's cast were introduced previously allowing it to focus on it's own storyline. The release date could be subject to change but I think that's just normal. The first X-Men went through it even though it was released earlier than originally decided (coinciding with the toy and game manufacturers wanting to get a jump on the market) which of course was pleasing to people anticipating it rather than the disappointment they would have felt if it came to light they would have to wait longer, again a harder task in this day in age since we're alerted to things far sooner than we should be and often muddled with misleading news that's often only concerned with trending. This makes it " seem " like films are moving along slowly. I don't think you have to worry, at base I feel they would get it out in due time if anything just because of the importance of Avengers 2 and the fact it hinges on the Ant-Man film already being in place.

Again, I point back to the fact that they made a big deal about a logo and some test footage they never released. If it's "on hold," you don't jump up and down at conventions saying "we have test footage!" We know a Doctor Strange movie is coming, we know a third Cap movie is coming, but are those filmmakers going to cons going "look at my test footage for a movie we won't even start on for a few years!" No, they aren't. Yes, now that things are actually moving I'm excited, but I still have a lot of pessimism from back when people reopened the then-dead Antman movie thread because someone made a logo.

HarryTrotter

I know that Marvel sold the rights to every cool hero,but a movie about Ant-man is just  :blink: .I mean half of the people is gona be: WHO the heck is that guy??
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

MJB

Can't imagine that people will be more confused than they were for Scott Pilgrim & that movie seemed to do well.

You don't always need A-List characters to make a successful movie. You just need a decent script & the right director. Hopefully Ant-man has both.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: MJB on May 07, 2014, 08:31:37 AM
Can't imagine that people will be more confused than they were for Scott Pilgrim & that movie seemed to do well.

You don't always need A-List characters to make a successful movie. You just need a decent script & the right director. Hopefully Ant-man has both.

Agreed.Sadly Marvel sold all of their A-list charachters so now they make movies about Z-list charachters.Since from Marvel I only read Punisher,does Ant-man have/had a comic?Was it good?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on May 07, 2014, 05:34:36 AM
I know that Marvel sold the rights to every cool hero,but a movie about Ant-man is just  :blink: .I mean half of the people is gona be: WHO the heck is that guy??

Half the general population were already "who the heck is that guy?" for Iron Man, and that seemed to work out pretty well.  Meanwhile, Amazing Spider-man 2 is a hot mess of a film, and opened worse than Captain America.  I'll take good movies over "cool" characters any day.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Talavar on May 07, 2014, 01:36:05 PM
Quote from: Spade on May 07, 2014, 05:34:36 AM

Half the general population were already "who the heck is that guy?" for Iron Man, and that seemed to work out pretty well.  Meanwhile, Amazing Spider-man 2 is a hot mess of a film, and opened worse than Captain America.  I'll take good movies over "cool" characters any day.

Well ofcourse everyone likes a good movie,I was just noting that Ant-man isnt the most well known Marvel charachter.To quote a review I heard : Avengers assemble all of Marvels greatest heroes,EXCEPT Spiderman,Fantastic Four and X-man.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Spade, I don't think anyone disagrees that it would be great to see Marvel get control of those characters again.  The Fantastic Four really need to come home.  Can y'all imagine how amazing the Galactus story could be if actually done well?

Anyway, yeah, I've got faith in Marvel.  They've earned the benefit of my doubt, so here's hoping that they'll turn out something great with this movie.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Honestly Im going into this with no expectations at all,because I know almost nothing about charachter.Like I said from Marvel,right now Im only reading Pumisher.Another guy that should have got a movie before Ant-man BTW  :D
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I would say 'watch Avengers: EMH,' but that show didn't treat poor Hank too well in the end.  The first several episodes with him, though, they really capture the character.  Hank Pym really is a great character, a founding member of the Avengers, and a really neat part of the Marvel Universe.  Like Aquaman, however, he's had some unfortunate stories told about him and took a long time to recover from those (if he has, I don't read modern mainstream books).
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on May 07, 2014, 06:34:55 PM
Honestly Im going into this with no expectations at all,because I know almost nothing about charachter.Like I said from Marvel,right now Im only reading Pumisher.Another guy that should have got a movie before Ant-man BTW  :D

Uh, he did.  3 times.  The Punisher, starring Dolph Lundgren in 1989, The Punisher, starring Thomas Jane in 2004, and Punisher: War Zone, starring Ray Stevenson in 2008.  Granted, none of those are great movies, but Marvel only recently reclaimed the Punisher licence.  Given three bad movies, 2 of them within a decade, them giving a little time for the Punisher movie franchise to lay fallow isn't a bad idea.

Podmark

Quote from: Talavar on May 08, 2014, 01:19:53 AM

Uh, he did.  3 times.  The Punisher, starring Dolph Lundgren in 1989, The Punisher, starring Thomas Jane in 2004, and Punisher: War Zone, starring Ray Stevenson in 2008.  Granted, none of those are great movies, but Marvel only recently reclaimed the Punisher licence.  Given three bad movies, 2 of them within a decade, them giving a little time for the Punisher movie franchise to lay fallow isn't a bad idea.

I actually think Punisher would work well on TV. Would fit in well with the Netflix shows.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Yeah, you're probably right, Pod.  The Punisher is one character that doesn't need much more budget than the average action show.
God Bless

MJB

Personally I would love to see the Punisher show up on both Agents of SHEILD season two & some if the Netflix shows before getting his own special or something.

BentonGrey

God Bless

HarryTrotter

Quote from: Podmark on May 08, 2014, 02:55:37 AM
Quote from: Talavar on May 08, 2014, 01:19:53 AM

I actually think Punisher would work well on TV. Would fit in well with the Netflix shows.

I meant in the Marvel cinematic universe.Movie from 2004 was the one I watched,It was cool.There really vas a version with Dolph Lundgren in the 80s?
Although back then everything was with Dolph Lundgren... :unsure:
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

This news is a month out of date, but there have apparently been some major shake ups and the film won't be shooting as planned.  Apparently one of the main guys behind the films wanted to keep it separate from the movie universe, which is a major no-no.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/edgar-wright-confirmed-to-have-left-ant-man-over-script-changes/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BWPS

Horrible news. Edgar Wright was the main reason I was looking forward to this. A real shame they couldn't work something out.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

catwhowalksbyhimself

He apparently wanted a stand alone film and when Marvel made last minute changes to the script to bring it into the universe, he walked.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Yeah, one wonders just what changes were made.  It hardly seems like it could have been enough to warrant this, but you never know.  I wasn't excited about this film, but now I'm just hoping it doesn't do any damage to the Marvel juggernaut. 
God Bless

Talavar

I'm shocked we didn't discuss this here - it was all over the interwebs.  Without Wright, the reasons to actually do an Ant-man film seem to have departed.  I had thought (hoped) Marvel would end up quietly shelving it, and adding a more interesting film to Phase 3 (like maybe Captain Marvel, or Dr. Strange), but it seems like they're going ahead with it.

trebean

I don't blame most directors leaving it. Without Wright,, this could be Marvel's first flop (In a critical and financial way anyway, Thor 2 and IM 3 sucked but both raked in a lot of money)
And who do you think will be most blamed if it does?

Starman

I really don't have any interest without Wright directing ... and this was the Marvel film I was looking forward to the most :/

detourne_me

I'm sorry, but I think him leaving over Marvel's decision to include it in the greater MCU is a bit petty.
I think by now the universe Marvel has built is pretty established, and any creators getting involved with it should know that they won't be given complete creative control.

Of course I have no idea what Wright and other Marvel dropouts (Ed Norton, Terrence Howard) feel. Is it really soul crushing to labor under Marvel? We know things in the comic industry have been pretty bad in the past, but I think Hollywood has some safeguards in place.

Anyway, I'm still pumped for Ant-Man.

Talavar

Quote from: detourne_me on July 03, 2014, 12:40:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I think him leaving over Marvel's decision to include it in the greater MCU is a bit petty.
I think by now the universe Marvel has built is pretty established, and any creators getting involved with it should know that they won't be given complete creative control.

Of course I have no idea what Wright and other Marvel dropouts (Ed Norton, Terrence Howard) feel. Is it really soul crushing to labor under Marvel? We know things in the comic industry have been pretty bad in the past, but I think Hollywood has some safeguards in place.

Anyway, I'm still pumped for Ant-Man.

I think directors have left for different reasons than actors (whose reasons are various).  For the directors, most aren't used/don't like having to toe company policy when making a film.  Marvel wants all these films to be part of a cohesive whole, so they need to keep a firm hand on directorial decision making.  That has its ups and downs - it keeps the movies safe from stupid, directorial whims (bat-nipples, for example), but scares away a lot of more unique voices.

trebean

Yes, but because of Marvel's tight grip, most of their movies have been formulaic and repetitive. Just look at Thor 2, and IM 3. Thank The One Above All that Cap 3 was freaking great.

Tomato

Honestly, what I find frustrating is that Wright could have had the movie that he wanted back in Phase 1, but it just never got off the ground. Clearly Feige was behind the film then, so I do not understand what took so long for Antman to get moving... It wasn't until Marvel finally started pushing the film into production (presumably at the behest of Whedon, who wanted to have Wasp for Avengers) that we saw more from the film than a logo and some test footage.

So yeah, much as I can sympathise with Wright, every other filmmaker in Phase 1 was able to get their project off the ground. Much as he kept pushing for it at cons and the like, as far as we know there was not finalized script, no attempt to start casting actors, nothing. And that is as much on him as it is on Marvel.