Days of Future Past(X-Men "SECOND" Class )

Started by Shogunn2517, August 03, 2012, 05:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Okay, the Sentinels definitely look a lot better in this trailer.  Still not quite like the comic look, but close enough to be actual Sentinels and much better than they seemed to look in the previous trailer.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

steamteck

I'm  still not getting my hopes up too much but the trailer looks very good.

oldmanwinters

So... Bryan Singer.

The recent allegations against him aren't gonna impact my decision to go see the new X-men, but dang... that's some twisted stuff.

Tomato

Yeah... I'd really rather not even discuss this here, but given what we know right now I call BS on the whole thing. The fact that this whole thing is coming down right as Days of Future Past is coming out makes the timing of this mess more than a little suspect IMHO.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Whether or not the specific allegations are in fact true, it is true that Hollywood very much has a culture of abuse against child stars and would be child stars.  Some have started to come forward now and it seems to be a VERY common practice among certain Hollywood elite to do this sort of thing and is only now starting to come out.  Singer is connected to a man known to have masterminded this sort of thing, but that by itself does not prove anything.  Apparently child sexual abuse is so common among certain Hollywood folks as to make it unsurprising if this were true.

Anyhow, that's all I care to say about the subject here.

Shogunn2517

Okay, now that I've seen my seventh X-Men movie, I'm really gonna need some help... Because I am now no longer sure the other six movies make much sense.

HarryTrotter

Ok people just a qoick question.Is First Class cannon or is it rebot or something.Since it contradicts X-man 3 and Origins:wolverine?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on May 24, 2014, 03:02:39 PM
Ok people just a qoick question.Is First Class cannon or is it rebot or something.Since it contradicts X-man 3 and Origins:wolverine?

As contradictory to previous films First Class is, I think First Class is actually cannon.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Or it could be considered an alternate timeline.  The original X-Men trilogy is the Timeline that leads up the Sentinel dominated timeline while the First Class one is a past that is already leading to a different, better future.  It's already not quite the same as the other timeline and the events of this movie will hopefully steer it completely away form the whole Sentinel apocalypse thing.  Under that interpretation, though the original characters are doomed and only saving another timeline, not their own.

Makes better sense to me than ignoring the contradictions though.

HarryTrotter

You think Cable or Bishop would pop out somewhere,if the timeline is truly this weird.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Bishop has been confirmed to be appearing in this movie.

Shogunn2517

So what DID happen?
Spoiler
If this is the new timeline and the other five movies(X-Men X2, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins, The Wolverine) didn't happen, then what happened over the next 50 years?  How are the X-Men together?  Wolverine is at the school so I guess X-Men 1 happened right?  Or did it?  Wolverine has his adamantium, so X-Men Origins and X2 happened right?  But Jean Grey is alive so it didn't happen, did it?  How does aspects that had to happen in the earlier movies happen, but not validate the rest of the movie that happened?

It just seem like the swiss cheesed the continuity where some things did happen and some things didn't happen.  Like this is the New 52 or something.

crimsonquill

I saw X-MEN DOFP yesterday and totally loved it!! The writers and Bryan Singer did a masterful job of keeping the best of the best from both First Class AND X1/X2 while acknowledging X3, Wolverine Origins, and The Wolverine happened but certain things have changed due to the shift in the timeline (No Sentinel program ever happened, Magneto is building his Brotherhood but no longer at war with humanity, Weapon X program still happened but Stryker has possibly changed his ways of thinking, and Mystique is now independent doing her own thing but no longer a killer). It certainly has gotten me to go back and look at the entire X-Men movie cineverse in a new light. Singer and Simon Kinberg have said that X-Men Apocalypse will focus on the history of mutant kind and the science behind it while moving the story of the First Class cast into the '80s.. including bringing in the young Cyclops, Jean, and Storm into the newly reopened Xavier Institute. Kinberg also recently revealed that Quicksilver will be returning as well.

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on May 24, 2014, 05:20:58 PM
Spoiler

1. If this is the new timeline and the other five movies(X-Men X2, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins, The Wolverine) didn't happen, then what happened over the next 50 years?
CQ: That is to be determined in X-Men Apocalypse and all future X-Men films. The only film not retconned by the time shift in X-Men DOFP is X-MEN First Class.

2. How are the X-Men together?
CQ: Singer and Kinberg have said that Xavier created the X-Men as a team to handle threats to humankind and mutantkind alike.. while Magneto remains a "bad guy" it's now because he knows that humankind needs someone to fear and make sure that mutantkind has a visible leader to keep that future of extinction from ever happening.

3. Wolverine is at the school so I guess X-Men 1 happened right?  Or did it?
CQ: Yeah, Wolverine ends up at the school.. but since Magneto has changed his ways Magneto probably wanted Rogue for his Brotherhood OR maybe this time he was brought there by Jubilee? Have to wait to see X-Men Apocalypse to find out.

4. Wolverine has his adamantium, so X-Men Origins and X2 happened right?
CQ: Wolverine ends up at Weapon X but apparently Stryker gets him after Wolverine is fished out of the Potomac River instead of the whole mess of a story that Wolverine Origins was. So, Wolverine coming to Skryker to get the Adamantium to go after Sabretooth and the whole Deadpool (eerr.. Barakapool) thing NEVER happened. Thank goodness.

5. But Jean Grey is alive so it didn't happen, did it?
CQ: XMEN: THE LAST STAND never happened..  Magneto now knows that his pointless war with Charles cost more lives then it was worth. I'm sure that Magneto and Charles have clashed a few times in the new timeline but he never manipulated Mystique or Jean to make them weapons so Jean's death in X2 and her corruption into Dark Phoenix in X3 have been wiped out.

6. How does aspects that had to happen in the earlier movies happen, but not validate the rest of the movie that happened?
CQ: First Class is 100% unchanged and probably X1 & X2 happened just that things occurred differently because Magneto knows his war with Charles was pointless and Mystique is now independent from Charles and Xavier following her own path. Plus Mystique's tearful reaction to seeing Azazel's morgue photo is a big hint that Nightcrawler is her son with him and she gave him up because of his death. Singer has said that he wanted to bring Nightcrawler back but Alan Cumming's schedule couldn't allow it.. so getting a new actor to play the younger Nightcrawler would allow for a recasting to solve the problem (it would make sense for Raven to find her son before Stryker would this time around since she wasn't Magneto's assassin).
- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Tomato

Is this worth seeing in 3d? We're looking to get tickets for this Thursday.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Tomato on May 25, 2014, 06:10:53 PM
Is this worth seeing in 3d? We're looking to get tickets for this Thursday.

Oh yeah definitly, almost all of the reviewers I have seen on Youtube or on blogs which have seen the 3D version.. said it's probably the some of the best conversion done yet and actually used to enhance the experience then just for simple gags.

- CQ

XStream

Spoiler
Quote4. Wolverine has his adamantium, so X-Men Origins and X2 happened right?
CQ: Wolverine ends up at Weapon X but apparently Stryker gets him after Wolverine is fished out of the Potomac River instead of the whole mess of a story that Wolverine Origins was. So, Wolverine coming to Skryker to get the Adamantium to go after Sabretooth and the whole Deadpool (eerr.. Barakapool) thing NEVER happened. Thank goodness.

So what you are saying is Ryan Reynolds has another shot at playing Deadpool?

I don't know when I will be able to see this one, but I have to know how does Charles Xavier show up at the end of The Wolverine and in the future of X:DoFP?
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

crimsonquill

Quote from: XStream on May 26, 2014, 02:44:44 AM
Spoiler
Quote4. Wolverine has his adamantium, so X-Men Origins and X2 happened right?

So what you are saying is Ryan Reynolds has another shot at playing Deadpool?

Yes, He does... Ryan has been rallying for getting another shot at Deadpool.. origin story or otherwise. X-Force is listed among FOX's spinoff movies beyond X-Men Apocalypse and there has been talks of a Deadpool solo film now that the slate is wiped clean. Ryan explained in an interview that FOX had plans for using him in the finale and somehow during the rewrites the whole design for Deadpool was changed so the stuntman could be used during ALL of the remaining shots "in costume"... so they released him from filming and then called him back in a panic for some reshots near the end of production for his new after credits scene after an early cut was leaked. Ryan said he was VERY unhappy when he finally saw what they did with Deadpool and never had plans for him to do voice dubbing of the "costumed" Wade. Course the Director/Producers assured him that his "new ending" would allow him to return to the role in a spin-off and all of the odd powers they gave Deadpool were just "temporary". Course the failure of the movie derailed both the Deadpool spin off and the Gambit spin off and forced the next Wolverine sequel to ignore that the first one ever happened storywise.

Quote from: XStream on May 26, 2014, 02:44:44 AM
I don't know when I will be able to see this one, but I have to know how does Charles Xavier show up at the end of The Wolverine and in the future of X:DoFP?

Spoiler
From what I'm hearing that was the telepathic mutant coma patient from the post-credit scene of X-Men 3 that we saw in The Wolverine and XM:DOFP with Charlies mind giving anyone who looks at him the illusion of it still being Charles. I'm assuming the whole scene from The Wolverine in the airport was intended to be the foreshadowing of Trask's Super Sentinel program coming online which made Xavier and Eric realize they needed his help in the war. Once the time shift occurs his death by Phoenix never happened so he is back in his original body and running the school just like he should be.

HarryTrotter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkCv5cCD5Y

In a world where people love superheroes,people will hate mutants.
Because for some reason mutant powers are totally different then superpowers.  :D
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

For those of you who might want to read a whole article about the ending of X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, It's very interesting and even has diagrams to try to explain all of the changes:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/05/23/x-men-ending-future-past/

- CQ

Podmark

Saw this on the weekend and I thought it was awesome. A little light on action but strong on story and character. Right now I'm calling it my favorite X-Men movie.

A couple highlights:
Spoiler

I really liked Magneto's costume. Also found it interesting how easily he went the villainous route.

Surprising how little action Wolverine got into.

Quicksilver was very entertaining.

Loved seeing the original X-Men cast. Especially Jean, Scott and Beast at the end.
I was very happy that the timeline was changed. Knowing that Scott and Jean survived makes me very happy.

The new mutants were very cool and surprisingly accurate. Blink was amazing. And I find crazy that an accurate Ink actually appeared on film.

With this and Cap this is turning out to be an excellent summer for comic movies.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

XStream

Thanks CQ, I guess I can accept that.

But it wasn't addressed in the movie? This is just fan rational as to what happened? I mean, I buy it and all. I just don't like the idea that they never addressed it. I mean he woke up in the body of a brain dead coma patient of Moira (who was no longer an American CIA agent but some sort of researcher....).
Spoiler
Anyway, it sounds like it did what I wanted and erased X:OW and X3:The Last Stand. I look forward to seeing it.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Shogunn2517

I can't!  I'm sorry, but if what you say is true, CQ that just makes the rest of the other movies just weird.

Spoiler
I read your answers and not that I agree or disagree, but you gave a lot of "maybes" and "probablys" and "apparentlys", but that's the problem.  It NEVER explained any of that or rightfully connected the dots.  Seriously, if X2 happened, then how is Jean Grey in the end?  She "died" at the end.  But if it did happen and she was resurrected, then X3 happened then... which means she's dead(again).  But if she's not dead, then X3 didn't happen, she couldn't have been resurrected so she didn't "die" in X2 so that never happened.  Obviously X1 happened because Logan's at the school.

So as much as I can figure, X-Men 2, 3 and The Wolverine didn't happen.  X-Men Origins did... But that's my problem.  They never EXPLAINED any of this.  Even when Star Trek made it's own alternative timeline, that was the beginning of the movie and the rest of the movie and the next EXPLAINED what happened IN that timeline.

That's my problem.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on May 27, 2014, 06:00:36 AM
I can't!  I'm sorry, but if what you say is true, CQ that just makes the rest of the other movies just weird.

Spoiler
I read your answers and not that I agree or disagree, but you gave a lot of "maybes" and "probablys" and "apparentlys", but that's the problem.  It NEVER explained any of that or rightfully connected the dots.  Seriously, if X2 happened, then how is Jean Grey in the end?  She "died" at the end.  But if it did happen and she was resurrected, then X3 happened then... which means she's dead(again).  But if she's not dead, then X3 didn't happen, she couldn't have been resurrected so she didn't "die" in X2 so that never happened.  Obviously X1 happened because Logan's at the school.

So as much as I can figure, X-Men 2, 3 and The Wolverine didn't happen.  X-Men Origins did... But that's my problem.  They never EXPLAINED any of this.  Even when Star Trek made it's own alternative timeline, that was the beginning of the movie and the rest of the movie and the next EXPLAINED what happened IN that timeline.

That's my problem.

Regarding X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE..

Spoiler
It never happened.. remember that all of the flashes you saw of Xavier reading Wolverine's mind is of the alternate timeline where he was sent back from the future. Now if you remember the story of Origins, Wolverine and Sabretooth are soldiers in the Vietnam War and a mistake causes them to be arrested and then executed several dozen times before Stryker finds them for his "Team X". Now X-Men DOFP picks up with Wolverine in 1973.. 2 years before the war officially ends. It's obvious he isn't hanging with Sabretooth (and the title sequence implied they never left each others side through centuries of war together) and it looked like he had been dodging the draft to avoid going into war once again. When his body is found in the Potomac River by police and Major Stryker (which is obviously Mystique in disquise) apparently he still ends up in the Weapon X program BUT with mutants now being public much earlier then before and Stryker losing most of his "anti-mutant" influence because of Trask being arrested for treason things will probably happen much differently.

The best way to explain the whole time shift...
Spoiler
X-MEN FIRST CLASS and XMEN: DOFP are 2 parts of the reboot trilogy.. Once the timeshift occured it erased X1, X2, X3, XO:Wolverine, & The Wolverine as they originally occurred from the new history.

Which leaves us with this timeline:
[Apocalypse is Born In Acient Egypt]---[Wolverine is Born]---[Magneto is Born]---[Charles is Born]---[Events Of X-Men First Class (1962)]---[Events Of X-Men DOFP (1973)]---[Events of X-Men Apocalypse (198?)]---[Wolverine Wakes Up In 2023]

Singer & Kingberg knew that everyone had issues with ALL of the previous X-Men movies for one reason or another. Singer has stated that he got some of the casting right but realized he might have changed up some characters if he had the chance in retrospect. Now X2 could only work if X3 was done correctly as Singer planned but that was all trashed by the way Retner executed it and Nightcrawler wasn't able to return as planned. Wolverine Origins was a train wreck because the writing was horrible and they totally ticked off fans with Barakapool. Now The Wolverine was just made to be a good Wolverine in Japan story and they weaved in his reason for being away from the X-MEN as Jean's death knowing that XMEN:DOFP would recon most of their whole story anyway. There really isn't any way to just explain what did and did not happen in the new timeline..it just doesn't matter because the 50 years between 1973 and the new future 2023 is a clean slate to be told in future movies plus allowing fans to fill in the blanks until the next chapter is revealed.

- CQ

Podmark

Yeah the X-Men continuity got all screwed up.

Spoiler

First Class created a number of conflicts that can't be ironed out without a nice big hammer. But honestly I got over that a long time ago.
Now After DoFP the other movies didn't happen. A new set of events will occur which should (but as the new movies come out probably won't) lead to Wolverine and everyone running the school again in 2023.

I'm actually quite okay with this. The original cast has aged to the point that they will become exceedingly unavailable for future films, even Jackman has talked about retiring from his role in the future. The new actors for Xavier, Magneto, Beast and Mystique are great and now we have an opportunity to get Cyclops and Jean back in play without some kind of crazy resurrection device. And the old films are still there to enjoy.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

So in short: First class was a begining of a new continuity?
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on May 28, 2014, 05:42:04 AM
So in short: First class was a begining of a new continuity?

Pretty much. FOX was always looking to reboot the franchise with First Class but when Singer returned they figured the Days Of Future Past would be a good story to continue the Young Xavier & Magneto storyline plus fix everything that didn't work before. X-Men Apocalypse will fill us in on what happened between '73 and whatever period of the '80s it takes place in and probably use Cable as the time jumper.

- CQ

Talavar

Just saw this today, quite enjoyed it.  Die in a fire, X-men 3!!!  You never happened!!

Overall, X-men continuity is wonky but...
Spoiler
now we don't know what has and hasn't happened.  Wolverine waking up at the end of Days of Future Past is just like the audience - we know history has changed, but we don't know how yet.  Some version of X-men 1 and 2 may have happened, but clearly things played out a little differently this time - for the better.  Going forward, future X-men movies are going to be with the younger cast, and set in the advancing "past" timeline, filling us in on what happened this time around. 

My biggest WTF moment was the whole nonchalant reveal that Kitty Pryde can just send people back in time.  "Oh, yeah, Kitty sends people back in time now.  Didn't you know?"  Minor issue, but weird.

My favourite scene was probably Quicksilver (who's not much more than an extended cameo) helping them break Magneto out of prison.  His superspeed was handled brilliantly (and only makes me that much sadder that DC is wasting the Flash on low-budget television).

BentonGrey

I saw this last weekend, and it was really good.  I was quite impressed, as I went in rather expecting them to butcher the story.  I'm not crazy about the more sympathetic version of Mystique, but it lent itself to a pretty good story.

On the whole, I didn't have any complaints that weren't merely 'they changed X from the comics.'  To be honest, that ship had sailed long ago with these movies.  I think I'd much rather they have just started over with a blank slate with X-Men First Class (a good film with plenty of flaws, that one), but if that wasn't going to happen, this was a good way to continue the story.  I do really wish they'd have given young Xavier a freaking haircut somewhere during the film, though. ;)

Some general thoughts:

Spoiler
Quicksilver was very cool, but I felt like they treated his speed a bit too ridiculously.  He couldn't really function as part of a team if he was that fast, as he could instantly solve everything.  In fact, if they'd brought him along to Paris, the movie would have ended right there.  Everyone I was with loved his scenes, and I admit, they were really neat.  Yet, it only really works as a gag, methinks.

Magneto was great, but I'd have liked to see a bit more of him.

Wolverine worked well in the Kitty Pryde role, and the story logic of his choice made sense.

I both liked and disliked that Kitty was the time machine.  I loved the reference to the classic story, where she's the one that goes back, but I was very mildly annoyed that it didn't really make sense for her powers to work that way.

The effects and the fights were really cool!  I'd have loved to see a better X-Team actually have a real fight with the Mark-I Sentinels, though.  Wolverine, Xavier, and Beast weren't much of a threat to them.  I'd have loved to see Cyclops and company take them on.  The future fights were really cool, but you couldn't enjoy them as much since the team couldn't actually destroy any of the Sentinels. 

I wonder how much they paid Halle Berry to stand around and say two lines.

It was great to see the old cast again, and to see them get a better send off.  I really enjoyed the ending, with the Xavier School up and running as it should be!  How cool was that!  One of my friends is a history prof., and he LOVED that Logan was teaching history.

I didn't think Beast looked quite right, but I'm not sure what it was, exactly, that was off.

I wasn't crazy about Magneto's costume.[/spoiler]

I will say this, though.  I am really sick of characters being treated as blank slates with a set of powers.  Yet, even that is preferable to:
Spoiler
Ignoring not only a character's history and personality, but their powers as well!  Why even use the character?  Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not a huge New Mutants fan, but isn't Sunspot's ONLY power super strength?  Since when is he the Human Torch?  It seems pretty clear that they just read his name and said, 'ohh, yeah, he must be a fire guy.  He'll do.'

All in all, it was a good movie, one of the best X-flicks, and I might like to own it someday.  It pales in comparison to the great Marvel movies, though.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Its gona be weird seeing Quicksilver again in Age of Ultron,but you know a whole different guy.
ALSO Tyrion Lanister  :thumbup:
Jon Farmer

Ares_God_of_War

Sunspot had his powers expanded in X-Force in the 90s.

Taking bets on how Apocalypse dies in the next movie. 1st guess: Jean Grey becomes the Phoenix. 2nd guess: A combined attack by Xavier and Magneto and a bunch of the Brotherhood and X-men for good measure.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."