Xcom: Enemy Unknown! (NEW STRATEGY GAME BY FIRAXIS)

Started by GamingboyReborn, January 05, 2012, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Yeah, I would of forum gifted mine (like i have with some other stuff) but it happened to be a friends birthday.

Turns out I forgot I had to be at work at 9 today (for a nice 11 hour shift) so that would normally mean no trying the game until tonight. Of course I was in bed by about 10 and up by 5 to put in a solid 2.5 hours.

Did almost two hours of the tutorial and got stuck mid turn. I had to ctrl + alt + del and guess what? This game so oldschool that it has no default auto save and I had to start all over again.

Re-rolled and happy I did... first of all the tutorial felt a little constraining and also starts on a bit of a down note (no spoilers but yeah). Just randomly my new starting team was all female cast. I decided to roll with it and I'm loving my new team... especially my punky Assault soldier in "hello kitty" pink armor.

BentonGrey

Hey DM, I'd like Civ 5!  I've been thinking about getting it. :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

murs47

My eyes frickin hurt. That's how awesome this game is. I had to force myself to take a break. Awesome, just pure awesome.

detourne_me

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 09, 2012, 03:17:50 PM
Hey DM, I'd like Civ 5!  I've been thinking about getting it. :)
cool... what's your steam id?  i'm detourne_me, so you could just message me too

I still gotta wait till the 12th to play this!!! Can hardly wait.

BentonGrey

Thanks DM!  You're the man!  Maybe I can't play X-COM just yet, but I'm going to go build a civilization!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

So how is Xcom?  I was tempted to get it, but it has been a while since I've played a RTS.  I will probably get it later on
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

lugaru

Personally I'm a tactics guy, so I am really really happy with the game. BTW the game is not an RTS as in it is turn based, not real time. So no reflexes or macro skills required, just lots of planning.

That said the game is MEAN, you will see your heroes blasted often.

Personally it is my first playthrough so I am using saves to rescue my team when they get hit really bad, but I'm avoiding using it for single team members or junk like that.

Next up I'm doing a game in Ironman Mode (auto save, no loading) so I wont bother customizing my characters, lol.

If you love strategy and have a high tolerance for tragedy, I really cannot recomend this enough, and also FTL.

I will have actual reviews of both soon enough.

murs47

Quote from: JeyNyce on October 11, 2012, 07:41:34 PM
So how is Xcom?  I was tempted to get it, but it has been a while since I've played a RTS.  I will probably get it later on

It's very cerebral. I'd say it's a tabletop game, such as Warhammer 40k, come to life. And that's just the battles. The organization managing in between missions is another ball game. It's very in-depth and you have to make some tough choices. I just finished the campaign on Normal last night and it took me 26 hours to complete. I found it to be very tense, challenging, rewarding, addicting, and fun. I'll probably start my second play-through tonight.

Being able to customize your guys adds a lot of flavor and attachment. And it sucks[in a fun way] when they bite the bullet. I don't think I'm gonna spend much time customizing my guys until they reach the rank of Sergeant. They just die too easy any rank below that.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: JeyNyce on October 11, 2012, 07:41:34 PM

I should point out that Xcom is not an RTS, at least not in combat.  It is turn based tactical instead.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

detourne_me

Finally beat the game last night... I wonder if there are multiple endings or just the one I saw
Spoiler
My psi ops dude levitated the temple ship into the sky and then it exploded and him with it.

murs47

Quote from: detourne_me on November 05, 2012, 04:30:05 AM
Finally beat the game last night... I wonder if there are multiple endings or just the one I saw
Spoiler
My psi ops dude levitated the temple ship into the sky and then it exploded and him with it.

I got that same ending as well...twice. That last room was ridiculous.

Spoiler
Both times I had to place a sniper with Double Tap and a plasma sniper at the doorway to beat it. I just had him go after the main Ethereal and the others were just bait until he got the kill shot.