News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Thor sequel

Started by Uncle Yuan, October 14, 2011, 12:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcast

I was wondering what you all thought about the movie as i haven't watched it yet. Looks like everyone is liking it so far. Though i'm not sure if it having a sci fi star trek feel, would make it feel less like a Thor movie.

spydermann93

Quote from: Outcast on November 30, 2013, 06:21:01 AM
I was wondering what you all thought about the movie as i haven't watched it yet. Looks like everyone is liking it so far. Though i'm not sure if it having a sci fi star trek feel, would make it feel less like a Thor movie.

I felt fine with the Sci-Fi edge to the movies.  The pseudo-science of aliens behaving and acting like gods to ancient peoples seems to be the theme that they're going for, and this movie seems to push that idea a bit further than the first movie.  All of us, if not most of us, know that the Asgardians in the comics are in fact an extra-dimensional race and are not, in the strictest sense, gods, so what the movies are doing isn't all that too far removed from the lore of the comics.  I guess you could say that this movie-verse is just another "What-If?" situation :P

But by all means, go watch this movie.  It is really, really good.  It ultimately depends on what Thor means to you, be it magic and fantasy, about a warrior learning his way in life, etc., but I believe that this movie will dispel any doubts that you have.

Outcast

Thanks Spyderman for reminding me, that in the comics.  The Asgardians are actually portrayed more like alien beings/race than actual gods of myth that their names are associated with. Having a sci fi feel to it would make perfect sense then. :)

XStream

I agree, I believe they have done an excellent job of blurring the line between magic and science. This was important to both the first Captain American and Thor movies. Their was a lot of effort put into making magic believable in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. You can tell they wanted to have the options to tell stories that include magic while trying to keep the stories grounded a little.

It works really well. I see how the Dark Elves use of space ships brought a sci-fi feel to the movie, but there was also some magic-ish parts as well, the Fallen Elves (or whatever they were called). Overall the blending and blurring worked for me. Hope you enjoy the movie Outcast, I don't believe you will leave the theater feeling disappointed.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

captmorgan72

I was completely sold on a scientific explanation when I heard Odin say "And though we have fallen into man's myths and legends, it was Asgard and its warriors that brought peace to the universe" in the first movie. I actually prefer a scientific explanation instead of its just magic. Stargate also did this with Egyptian gods and I thought it worked great there too. Didn't the Aztecs believe that Hernan Cortes and his spaniards were gods because of their advanced tech? I have crazy theories that the bible's angels are aliens, the description of them in scripture matches what many abductees report. Skin that seems to be made of polished bronze and eyes that seem to be ablaze. Yep, the alien/tech explanation definetly works for me.

XStream

Captain, or could it be the other way around?.... hmmm... :mellow:
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

captmorgan72

BentonGrey

Thor 3 has started moving forward.  After #2, they've certainly got my confidence.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

MJB

Recently watched Thor 2 with my youngest...

Decent movie. Nothing super-great about it. They did a good job following up on the first one.

-MJB

Cyber Burn

A little bit of a necropost, but I finally got to see this. I've never hid the fact that I'm not a Thor fan, but I will say that I enjoyed the movie.

Spoiler
I will say that the after-credits scene left me a bit confused, where exactly did Sif get an Infinity Stone?

trebean

It's that thing that Malekith was after (The dust like substance, forgot the name)
Apparently this also makes the Tesseract into an Infinity Stone since the explanation given was that it was too dangerous for two stones to be near each other.

Cyber Burn

Spoiler
I thought that the tesseract was supposed to be the Cosmic Cube?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Spoiler
The Tessaract is a combination of the Cosmic Cube and an Infinity Stone wrapped up into on package.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Cyber Burn

Got it...Don't much like it, but at least it's understandable.

HarryTrotter

OH,MY VARIOUS GODS,NOT AGAIN.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Spade on June 22, 2014, 06:07:52 PM
OH,MY VARIOUS GODS,NOT AGAIN.

Not again? Not again, what?

HarryTrotter

Another Thor sequel.Thor movies are just bleak.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on June 22, 2014, 07:32:06 PM

No Spade, we're talking about the second Thor movie
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 22, 2014, 07:52:25 PM
Quote from: Spade on June 22, 2014, 07:32:06 PM

No Spade, we're talking about the second Thor movie
You were expecting him to actually read the thread before replying to it? I suppose it could happen.  Maybe.

Reepicheep

In Spade's defence.

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 31, 2014, 07:32:01 PM
Thor 3 has started moving forward.  After #2, they've certainly got my confidence.

crimsonquill

We all have come to expect Spade to have a freak out with every time another Marvel sequel gets made while his favorite characters are getting molested in others studios hands or sitting in standby while Marvel Studios is building their Universe with only 2 films a year. (note: Spade just saw X-Men DOFP and was happy with it so he apparently only has a hate on FOX about Fantastic Four until the reboot gets finished).

Anyway,

Thor 3 most likely will focus around Loki's plan to take the throne (obviously he needed everyone to believe he was dead and then sent Thor to Earth to become it's guardian) and Thanos making his move to seize the Infinity Gauntlet which is still in Odin's armory along with the Infinity Gem they are hiding elsewhere. Like Podmark, I'm hoping they open the Universe post Guardians Of The Galaxy so they can finally introduce Beta Ray Bill which would give Odin an alternate warrior to send againt Thanos directly if Thor remains on Earth with The Avengers.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'd like to see Surtur take the stage as the villain for Thor 3, with Beta Ray Bill being introduced as well.  While Thor and company are busy with that, Loki makes his move, which somehow ends up with the Tessaract in Thanos's hand, or at least leaves it open for that, leading into the Avengers 3.

HarryTrotter

Quote from: crimsonquill on June 22, 2014, 10:57:52 PM
We all have come to expect Spade to have a freak out with every time another Marvel sequel gets made while his favorite characters are getting molested in others studios hands or sitting in standby while Marvel Studios is building their Universe with only 2 films a year. (note: Spade just saw X-Men DOFP and was happy with it so he apparently only has a hate on FOX about Fantastic Four until the reboot gets finished).

- CQ

When did I say I hated the FF movie?
Quote from: Reepicheep on June 22, 2014, 09:06:38 PM
In Spade's defence.

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 31, 2014, 07:32:01 PM

Thats what I thought.Since who would label Dark World as upcoming movie?
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 23, 2014, 05:55:47 PM
When did I say I hated the FF movie?

Everyone has a hate on for FOX for what they did with the first two movies and the moment they announced that Michael B. Jordan (an african-american actor who played a character in Chronicle) was playing Johnny Storm in the reboot most purists went insane with hate.
My apologies if you are thumbs up for the FF reboot.

- CQ

"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

Juliam McMahon was awessome as Dr Doom.
About reebot Im undecided.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on June 24, 2014, 04:43:08 AM
Juliam McMahon was awessome as Dr Doom.
About reebot Im undecided.

I have to disagree with you on that one Spade.  He's a great actor, but for someone to play Doom, thay have to wear a mask (like Snakeeyes in the GI Joe movie) He like to show his face...a lot

JeyNyce

Just to get back on topic, there is a rumor that there will be a Thor 3.  I'm guessing to round out everything: Iron Man 3, Captain America 3,...etc

HarryTrotter

What will they come up with this time?Elements of doom?
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Yeah, Surtur could be a great villain for Thor 3.  I think it would be cool to see Beta Ray Bill, but I doubt we'll see him in these movies...I could be wrong though.  I never thought I'd see Batroc the Leaper in a live action film. :D

I can't wait for Thor 3!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/