I keep seeing this commercial with The Green Hornet...

Started by daglob, December 10, 2010, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientSpirit

While I haven't really been following the Green Hornet saga, this week I heard Seth R. being interviewed on the Howard Stern show - and he certainly made it seem interested.   He took it seriously enough that he forced himself through physical training because he didn't want to have a fat Green Hornet.   But he did position it as more of a buddy movie than a traditional super hero movie, and he did position his character as a bit goofy.    He also mentioned the fact that, unlike Bruce Lee, this Kato is not a martial artist but a dancer.    That could work for me since I loved David Carradine in the old Kung Fu tv show, and that was his background, as well.

Based on the actor/writer, I think I'll like this movie ... especially since I'm not really familiar with Green Hornet canon beyond what I saw in the one-season show way back when.

Still, its not a movie I will rush out to see regardless of the reviews (like I don't care who says what about Thor, I'm there!)    For this one, I'll probably wait to read the reviews (of movie-goers, and not critics, who I no longer trust with these things).
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

Reepicheep

I will see this, but with an air of skepticism. It will either confirm how I feel about Seth Rogan, or completely redeem him. Which makes it kinda exciting.

RTTingle

AICN review for the Green Hornet.  I'm seeing it tomorrow night... I'll have mine up soon after.

QuoteNordling buzzes about THE GREEN HORNET

Published on: Jan 12, 2011 1:06:21 CST

January has long been considered the dump month when it comes to new releases.  Audiences are either watching the tiered release of Oscar nominees and hopefuls or the studios release films during that month that either have bad buzz surrounding them or had difficult shoots and not a lot of hope in those films' success.  It's a hard month for movies.  People are burned out over Christmas spending and going out and most would rather just stay home.

It must have been especially difficult for THE GREEN HORNET to find a good release date.  It's a superhero movie in a market that's full of them, and it's also a Seth Rogen comedy at a time when he might not be the most marketable of stars right now.  His OBSERVE AND REPORT didn't do so well at the box office – although it's a fantastic film and worthy of the cult status it so richly deserves – and comic book superhero comedies don't exactly inspire a vast following.  Just ask MYSTERY MEN.

THE GREEN HORNET's been struggling to get made for a few years now.  Kevin Smith was famously linked to it for a while, and then it changed hands before Rogen and co-writer Evan Goldberg got a hold of the project.  At one point Stephen Chow was going to direct, but that didn't happen.  When Michel Gondry became attached to the film, people began to wonder what, exactly, a superhero film directed by the man who brought us films like ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND and THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP would look like, especially once it was announced that it would open in 3D.

You would think all these uncertain variables would spell disaster for the film, but fear not – THE GREEN HORNET is incredibly fun, witty, and a real change of pace for films normally released this time of year.  Rogen and Goldberg's script is funny without being too clever, Gondry's direction of the various action set pieces is well done and for post-conversion 3D, Gondry uses the technology well and creates an immersive world where he gets to play.

Britt Reid (Rogen) is a spoiled rich kid brat, waking up every morning to his perfect cup of coffee and with some nameless woman he met the night before while he partied.   Britt lives in the shadow of his disapproving father, James Reid (Tom Wilkinson).  The newspaper which James owns, currently run by his father's friend Axford (Edward James Olmos) is constantly pointing out the corruption and crime that seems endemic to the city but Britt seemingly has no interest in any of that.  But when James dies unexpectedly, Britt begins to question how he lived his life.  Britt hires back Kato (Jay Chou), his father's driver, after he discovers that Kato was the one who made his amazing coffee every morning.  Kato's incredibly talented – he can draw, build, drive, fight, and make a damn great cup of coffee.  They quickly become good friends.

In a drunken stupor, Britt and Kato decide to go cut off the head of his father's newly dedicated statue, and then they witness a crime in progress and decide to get involved.  With Kato's skill of slowing down time in his mind to dispatch several bad guys at once, Britt has an idea – they could be superheroes by pretending to be evil villains.  Their path puts them at odds with Chudnovsky (Christoph Waltz) who wants to take over all crime in Los Angeles.  With the aid of his newspaper, Britt is able to get the Green Hornet on the front page.  But Britt's immaturity threatens his new friendship with Kato.

First thing off the bat – this movie's Jay Chou's.  He's extremely likable, funny, and pretty damn kick arse as Kato.  I hope big things happen for this guy here in the States (he's already a major celebrity in Asia), as he would deserve it.  He's a commanding presence on screen and just a joy to watch.  Rogen keeps up with him well, however; they have an excellent chemistry together and you believe these two men with such different backgrounds become real friends.

Seth Rogen is funny as usual and since it's his material he dives in with real dedication and wit.  I've never understood the current backlash Rogen's apparently under; his characters are all different in their ways and he has an innate charm that he brings to every part, even when he's playing something loathsome like his OBSERVE AND REPORT character or even here when his jealousy threatens to undermine everything he's built with the Green Hornet and his relationships around him.

Gondry directs his action scenes quite well, and he uses 3D in the way as it was intended: as a tool and not a distraction.  I'm still on the fence about 3D; when done right it helps the film but when done wrong (CLASH OF THE TITANS) it just looks terrible and makes bad movies even worse.  This is a post-conversion 3D, as they didn't shoot it for 3D originally; however the conversion's so good that it looks like every shot was composed with the intent of releasing it in 3D.  This wasn't a rush job – the visuals pop and it's quite immersive.  There's one scene in particular where Gondry uses split screen to show his villains' actions that was really innovative; each square moved independently of the others and in 3D it was quite amazing to see.   When Kato goes into fighting mode it's especially impressive.  The camera focuses on each of the opponents Kato fights and when the background expands accordion-like when Kato attacks it's visually stunning.

It's not a perfect film by any means – there's some fat in the middle as Britt and Kato establish their relationship and soon to be rivalry and Cameron Diaz's scenes pretty much stop the film cold.  But those scenes aren't very often and Christoph Waltz makes up for them with a funny performance as a villain who seems to be looking for respect among his contemporaries.  His Chudnovsky (and later Bloodnovsky) just proves how much fun Waltz is to watch onscreen – INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS wasn't a fluke by any means.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing WATER FOR ELEPHANTS because of him.

THE GREEN HORNET's worth your time.  Funny, action-packed, and visually interesting, Michel Gondry's made a mainstream film that shoots for the cheap seats but manages to hit his target most of the time.  Seth Rogen and Jay Chou are a really good team and I'd like to see them on further adventures now that the origin's been dispensed with.  It's clever without being annoying about it, and a good night at the movies, which in these troubled times may be just the ticket for many of us.  Go see it.

Nordling, out.

JeyNyce

So Seth Rogen does stink up the movie, Cameron Diaz does.   
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BlueBard

Jey, think you meant to say:

QuoteSo Seth Rogen doesn't stink up the movie
STO/CO: @bluegeek

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

RTTingle

Hey Folks!

Well, it seems as if the Green Hornet is a lot more popular than many thought.  The preview I went to see tonight was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overbooked and I couldn't get in.  No worries, I'll be catching the midnight showing in a few hours.

Later Folks!

thalaw2

Jay has so much star power here in China and most of Asia that I'm afraid to go to a screening...on second thought there would be lots of girls...hmmm.

Girls, Green Hornet, and 3D!  Looks like i"m going to the movies! 
革命不会被电视转播

RTTingle

More in depth review later... just a quickie for now.

For those who have an issue with Rogen and think he is everything wrong with the movie since they heard he was involved --- do yourself a favor and don't bother seeing it.  Rogen is Rogen.  While I don't think he played a total idiot, they did play him a bit worse off then I had hoped.  Does he ruin the Green Hornet as a character?  No.  I've seen worse, but I did roll my eyes more than I liked.  Would another actor have been better?  Probably.  I think Rogen and Gondry are equally at fault for letting Britt be a bit goofier than he should have been.  I like Rogen doing his thing and think he brings a certain innocence and naivety to his roles that is charming and amusing.  In this flick he took it a little too far and I think Gondry let it slide which is disappointing.  I think Gondry could have reigned it in and it would have been a much better performance.  Its like Rogen was in a different movie from everyone else half the time.  There are moments in the film were the humor is sly and wry and it plays well, I wish they had followed that style more with Rogen playing Britt evenly.

The movie itself is not bad and fun if you can detach yourself from being a strict GH fan.  The story was actually pretty good --- holes of course, but pretty good.  I think under another writer or two to polish it, it could have been better.  I could have done without a scene or two, or at least have them rewritten.  Britt was played for more for laughs than I hoped but you see his good points come out near the end of the movie, its just too little too late.  The last 20 minutes of the movie things really came together best.  I wish this had happened sooner... much sooner, like 20 minutes into the movie and I would have been much happier with it as a whole.

How Britt was played aside, for the most part, I'd say this movie is faithful to the Green Hornet and the source material.  The only thing that annoyed me most as a fan, is how they changed the D.A. Scanlon character.  I liked the little winks and nods to fans in the course of the movie.  Bruce Lee in Kato's sketch book... The William Tell Overture playing on the phonograph in the back seat of the car... the bandana as the first mask... the headlights casting the spinning green pattern from the tv show on the wall... nice touches.

I was hoping the comedy and action mix would be closer to True Lies, it wasn't.  It wasn't Get Smart though either and was somewhere in between.  I did enjoy the movie and did think it was fun.  Am I disappointed in the movie?  Sure, but I wasn't disgusted with it by far.

I'd say 2 1/2 out of 5 is how I would rate it.

Later,
RTT

steamteck

Thanks, that was very helpful and addressed the relevant points, for me at least.

lugaru

Loved this comic about the movie:   (warning: HUGE!)

Spoiler

Cyber Burn

Quote from: JeyNyce on January 13, 2011, 01:59:53 PM
So Seth Rogen does stink up the movie, Cameron Diaz does.   

That hurts, Cameron Diaz was the main reason I was going to see the movie. :unsure:

BlueBard

Thanks for the honest review, RTT.  I'll chalk it up as a remotely-possible Netflix rental in the future.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

thalaw2

Just saw this move and I.....love it!  I am a fan of the Green Hornet radio drama...which the film makes several nods to.  I thought I was in for a disappointment, but the comedy angle is done very very well.  I haven't laughed so much watching a superhero movie since Meteor Man. 

If you're capable of sitting back and having a good laugh while watching a movie that at least gives honest nods to source material then you'll love this film.  You'll also have to be able to laugh at adult jokes of the drunken college boy nature. 

I give it a 4.5/5.  Heck I could even go 5/5.  I had a rip roaring good time.
革命不会被电视转播

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: thalaw2 on January 27, 2011, 12:38:51 PM

If you're capable of sitting back and having a good laugh while watching a movie that at least gives honest nods to source material then you'll love this film.  You'll also have to be able to laugh at adult jokes of the drunken college boy nature. 

You just eliminated several of the posters who posted on this thread, Law.

thalaw2

Maybe so, but in all honesty the laughs I got out of this movie were better than "Something About Mary" and on par with "The Hangover".  Comedic timing was awesome!  Chemistry between Rogen and Chou was right on point.  The scripting really did justice to the source material in several ways...for me the radio show is canon (after all it was the first appearance of GH).  Sure it loses the serious nature, but I never got the feeling that it was just too out of the bounds of reality for a superhero flick. 

I really hope they make a second movie.   
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

Just got back from watching it.  I lied it but I cringed a lot at how douchey Seth rogen can be. Actually I really liked it and Katowice was pretty cool.
So many people were being killed though. I think part of it is self-referential about superhero movies though, even the Edward James olmos character almost broke the fourth wall in that respect.

Did anyone else watch it in 3d?  The end credits were amazing