Halloween Movie Night

Started by BentonGrey, October 18, 2010, 09:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Viking on October 22, 2010, 04:41:02 PM
Hm...  Another movie that I haven't seen mentioned (that only just occurred to me) is "Shadow of the Vampire," starring John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe.  In the age of silent movies, a director (John Malkovich) seeks to make his own vampire movie, and finds an actual vampire (Willem Dafoe) to play the starring role.  But he only tells the rest of the cast and production staff that Dafoe is simply an incredibly committed method actor, who always insists on being in character and appearing in full costume.

That one is actually a different retelling of Nosferatu, is very interesting actually.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

daglob

There's also:

It Walks By Night
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
Return of Dr. X (No relation to the Dr. X listed-but is Humphrey Bogart's only horror movie)
13 Ghosts (the original-anyone mention that one yet? Margaret Hamilton rules!)
The Night Stalker and The Night Strangler (should be viewed as a double feature)
Mark of the Vampire
Return of the Vampire
I Was a Teenage Werewolf
I Was a Teenage Frankenstein
Blood of Dracula (should have been I Was a Teenage Vampire)
Matinee (for the "Mant" bits)
Dark Shadows reruns (the original)
Anything by Roger Corman
Anything by William Castle
Anything (appropriate) with either Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Lon Chaney Sr. & Jr., Peter Cushing, or Christopher Lee. (Movies like Song of Bernadette or Moulin Rogue are not good Halloween movies)
Most anything by Ramond Dennis Steckler
NONE of Larry Buchannan's monster movies with the exceptions of Mars Needs Women and The Lock Ness Horror

If you see something in the budget DVD bin ("$5.99 or 2 for $10.00" or something like that) entitled something like "Fifty Great Horror Movies" or "Fifty Great Monster Movies", by all means pick it up. There will be some good movies (like Last Man on Earth or Nosferatu) and some bad movies (like Beat of Yucca Flats or Beast from the Haunted Cave), and some odd movies (like Creature from the Haunted Sea or Doomed to Die), and you might get some B movie mysteries (like one or two of Boris Karloff's Mr. Wong series or Scream in the Night with Fay Wray), but there should be at least something to entertain you.

GhostMachine

I'll throw out a few Vincent Price recommendations:

Twice-Told Tales (bonus: also has Sebastian Cabot in it)
The Mad Magician
Both Dr. Phibes movies (The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Rises Again)
The House of Wax
Last Man On Earth (The best movie version of I Am Legend)
The House On Haunted Hill
The Haunted Palace (The title is taken from Edgar Allan Poe, so its considered to be part of Roger Corman's Poe series, but its actually an adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward!)

I'll also throw in The Raven (triple bonus: Has Boris Karloff, Jack Nicholson and Peter Lorre in it!), but its more of a comedy than a horror movie.

(Not a horror movie, but if you're a Vincent Price fan, I highly recommend seeing The Baron of Arizona sometime)

For Christopher Lee, I recommend all the Dracula movies, except Satanic Rites of Dracula, aka Count Dracula And His Vampire Bride. Its the last film in the series, but is also incredibly boring. (Not a big fan of Scars of Dracula, either, but its better than Satanic Rites)

Another movie I'd say consider watching is Horrors of the Black Museum. It features Michael Gough, who played Alfred in the old Batman movies. And if you want to see something weird.....Curse of the Undead, starring Eric Fleming. Its a western AND a vampire movie! (And is a lot better than Billy the Kid vs. Dracula)

detourne_me

captmorgan72

Just watched Paranormal Activity 2 on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Its a parallel prequel to the first movie. It works quite well, giving the viewer some background info why the haunting (or stalking) is happening. I would recommend it, if you haven't seen it yet, for your halloween viewing. Also, for maximum scariness, watch it at night.

cmdrkoenig67

I've been watching Universal Monster movies...I just love them, but I don't usually watch them until October rolls around.  I'll probably break out Fright Night (1985) and Fright Night Part II at some point.

Dana

laughing paradox

Quote from: captmorgan72 on October 21, 2011, 06:16:10 PM
Just watched Paranormal Activity 2 on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Its a parallel prequel to the first movie. It works quite well, giving the viewer some background info why the haunting (or stalking) is happening. I would recommend it, if you haven't seen it yet, for your halloween viewing. Also, for maximum scariness, watch it at night.

I watched Paranormal Activity 3 over the weekend and it was even better than part 2  (or part 1)! More scares.. just way more fun. I just didn't like the ending, though.. but still, just a fun flick.

BentonGrey

I love that this thread I started over a year ago to get suggestions for non-scary Halloween-ish movies for 2010 has completely taken on a life of its own.  Haha, I love this community.  Anyway, I thought I'd pop my head back in and let y'all know that you've inspired me for THIS Halloween.  I'm going to get a movie I've always wanted to see, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman for me and the wife to watch, and we'll do a Halloween movie night with our friends to introduce them to the glory that is the MST3K version of Final Sacrifice.  I can't think of a more perfect film for the night! :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oldmanwinters

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 25, 2011, 08:45:43 PM
I love that this thread I started over a year ago to get suggestions for non-scary Halloween-ish movies for 2010 has completely taken on a life of its own.  Haha, I love this community.  Anyway, I thought I'd pop my head back in and let y'all know that you've inspired me for THIS Halloween.  I'm going to get a movie I've always wanted to see, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman for me and the wife to watch, and we'll do a Halloween movie night with our friends to introduce them to the glory that is the MST3K version of Final Sacrifice.  I can't think of a more perfect film for the night! :D

Now that sounds like a blast!  I own "The Wolfman Collection" that includes Frank n' Wolfie.  I've somehow been putting off watching it completely for a while, but I think I need to get around to it this week!

JeyNyce

Frank n' Wolfie - That sounds more like a date movie than a monster movie  :D
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

captmorgan72

Didn't know the original Being Human series was on Netflix. Started watching it, and it is so much better than the american remake. Love the werewolf in this, very Howling like and not like a bad CGI wet rat like in the american version. Also, really liked in episode two, first season, Mitchel describing the process of turning into a werewolf, very cool. That and everything just sounds better with a british accent.

captmorgan72

Ok, watched the last episode for Season 3 and just wow. I can never watch the american version again.

Mr. Hamrick

I've been a "champion" of the UK "Being Human" over the North American version from the get go.  The lady who plays Nina (Sinead Keenan) gave me a shout out in an interview over there once.

But yeah, the original is FAR superior to the remake for so many reasons.