The Nolans Directing The Man of Steel & Justice League?

Started by Midnite, February 10, 2010, 08:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 28, 2010, 01:44:29 AM
Quote from: BWPS on February 27, 2010, 06:40:25 PM
I hope they don't put Batman in a Justice League movie. I also hope they don't feel the need to make movies of all the characters first because knowing DC that will never ever happen and they'd reboot it 50 times before it did. I have no confidence in WB to get good superhero movies made at this point.

Sadly, I agree with you BWPS.  WB has pretty much driven any excitement for DC movies out of me.  They've used up what was once a fairly substantial reservoir of good will on my part.

Benton, you're just angry because WB is not making all their DC movies revolve around Bruce Timm and Aquaman.

BentonGrey

Nope, I'm angry because, despite Marvel kicking their backsides for the last several years, there have only been two decent DC movies.  Heck, even the mediocre Marvel movies like Ghost Rider were pretty fun.  Compare that with...*shudder* Catwoman!  Superman was a pretty huge disappointment, and several of their projects have died a quiet death, never seeing the light of day.  Yeah, I think Bruce Timm gave us just about the ideal version of many DC characters, but obviously I can enjoy movies (Batman Begins) that have little in common with his "Timmverse."
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 28, 2010, 04:15:35 AM
Nope, I'm angry because, despite Marvel kicking their backsides for the last several years, there have only been two decent DC movies.  Heck, even the mediocre Marvel movies like Ghost Rider were pretty fun.  Compare that with...*shudder* Catwoman!  Superman was a pretty huge disappointment, and several of their projects have died a quiet death, never seeing the light of day.  Yeah, I think Bruce Timm gave us just about the ideal version of many DC characters, but obviously I can enjoy movies (Batman Begins) that have little in common with his "Timmverse."

And yet, Nolan's success with Batman Begins and with The Dark Knight is the chief reason why WB is now taking their DC properties seriously.  They made a mistake (and a costly mistake) with Bryan Singer on Superman Returns.  I think they realized that when they got a film that was more like a homage to the Donner movies than anything that they could (or should) have built a new franchise off of.  That mistake made them cautious (and rightfully so, in my opinion) on letting Whedon's proposed Wonder Woman movie get off the ground.

At this moment, Green Lantern is in production.  Nolan has been asked to have at least a producer role on a "relaunch" of the Superman franchise.  (Instead of the homage to the Donner films that Bryan Singer gave them.)  As pessimistic and negative as you are about the prospects, they are the best they have been in years and arguably ever.

Marvel was not kicking DC's backsides the last several years until Spiderman and Xmen.   Look where those films were made and by who (Sony and Fox).  I guarantee you if a company outside of WB had've been able to take a DC property and done a movie, it'd have been done and done well.  Well, unless you let Village Roadshow Pictures do it.

The problem with Catwoman is that you had a film that was meant to be a spinoff of Batman Returns.  The people involved bailed and the people that came in and replaced the producers who bailed didn't know what they were doing.  Had the original movie been made, it would've been a much different and much better movie in all likely hood.  (And would've starred Ashley Judd as Catwoman as she was on board to produced and star in it.)  The same thing happened with the movie Whiteout (Reese Whitherspoon was on board as a producer and star before stepping out.  The script was there and was tweaked for Kate Beckinsdale).  And a side note to that, WB let Catwoman be made by a smaller company (if I recall) named Village Roadshow Pictures.

Up until late last year, WB knew they were not able to put their big guns on screen and thus hadn't.  Now, they have a guy who seems to be able to get it done with at least the Bat franchise and can help with the rest.  The question is going to be rather The Flash or Green Lantern directors will be able to pull through.

steamteck

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 27, 2010, 07:37:02 PM
Quote from: steamteck on February 27, 2010, 06:29:24 PM
The Dark knight approach is way way to dark for Superman or Justice league for me I sure hope that's not where this is going.

Batman is a dark character and always has been.  Even in the Justice League, he has always been the "dark brooding one".

My point is I don't know if Nolan is able or willing to properly deal with a less dark franchise. Superman done even half that dark would miss the point IMO.

Marvel IS kicking their backsides except for Batman though. Spider_Man and Xmen aren't that recent anymore so its been for awhile. There's cautious and then there's timid and clueless. I hope the success of Batman won't ( as it so often ends to do) not teach them the wrong lesson. I am hopeful for GL but disappointed about Wonder Woman and JLA etc. They still have my excitement but it a little more tempered than before.

BWPS

That's not right. The best episodes of the cartoon are really dark. Like the one where Lois goes to an alternate reality where Supes is teamed up with Luthor. Or the ones where there's like Darkseid and that grandma lady. Or the ones with Mr. Mxyzptlk. Ok, those last ones weren't dark at all, but they were pretty good.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

steamteck

Quote from: BWPS on February 28, 2010, 07:05:37 PM
That's not right. The best episodes of the cartoon are really dark. Like the one where Lois goes to an alternate reality where Supes is teamed up with Luthor. Or the ones where there's like Darkseid and that grandma lady. Or the ones with Mr. Mxyzptlk. Ok, those last ones weren't dark at all, but they were pretty good.

Not compared to the dark Knight were they dark at all . I don't agree they were the best either myself. not bad ones just not the best because they were dark.

Gremlin

You know, Nolan isn't a one trick pony here. I'm quite certain he is capable of writing in a variety of different tones if he wants to.

steamteck

Quote from: Gremlin on March 01, 2010, 05:47:49 AM
You know, Nolan isn't a one trick pony here. I'm quite certain he is capable of writing in a variety of different tones if he wants to.

I hope but I don't really know. What else has he done?

BWPS

Quote from: steamteck on March 01, 2010, 11:55:37 AM

:O
Memento and The Prestige. Two amazing movies which would probably be considered "dark".

Insomnia, which I haven't seen but its a murder mystery I think.

He doesn't seem interested in writing light-hearted material at all. But at least people realize how clueless they are at making superhero movies even if Nolan isn't ideal for Superman. But he's pretty much 4-0 for awesome, "dark", movies.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

steamteck

Quote from: BWPS on March 01, 2010, 12:10:06 PM
Quote from: steamteck on March 01, 2010, 11:55:37 AM

:O
Memento and The Prestige. Two amazing movies which would probably be considered "dark".

Insomnia, which I haven't seen but its a murder mystery I think.

He doesn't seem interested in writing light-hearted material at all. But at least people realize how clueless they are at making superhero movies even if Nolan isn't ideal for Superman. But he's pretty much 4-0 for awesome, "dark", movies.

I enjoyed the Prestige bu haven't see Memento. I'd still rather see Louis Leterrier on Superman. he isn't clueless.

Mr. Hamrick

I just did a little bit of research.  

Where does it say that Nolan is directing.  Several people seem to have their panties in a wad over him doing a job that he has not hired to do yet.  He has been hired in an "advisory" capacity.  I've heard his role likened to a producer on the project.  If that is the case, he may some degree of advice over who to hire as director and he may be able to advise the director on crew choice and casting.  He might even have some suggestion on what villain to put in the script or suggest a creative way to utilize a villain.  (Which makes me really hope for Brainiac and General Zod.)  However, the vision that goes on to the screen will not be his, it will be the director.

I'd be more concerned about who the front runner is to direct The Flash than I would Nolan being on anything.  And I worked for the guy as an extra.  The guy is not a bad director, he just seems to be an odd choice given that the two feature films he has done are romantic comedies.

Mr. Hamrick

Hate to double post but thought this merited it.

http://www.geekweek.com/2010/09/christopher-nolans-shortlist-of-superman-directors-revealed.html
http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/chris-nolan-looking-for-superman-director/

These two articles mention the apparent "short list" for the new Superman movie that Nolan is producing.

Tony Scott (UNSTOPPABLE)

Matt Reeves (LET ME IN)

Jonathan Liebesman (BATTLE: LOS ANGELES)

Duncan Jones (SOURCE CODE)

Zack Snyder (SUCKER PUNCH)

I am surprised they mentioned Sucker Punch as Zack Snyder's listing.  Granted that it's his new film that is coming soon but the guy is equally known for 300 and The Watchmen.  Snyder is arguably the hottest name on the list and the most recognizable to comic fans.  However, he may not be the hottest name for long.

Tony Scott?  Looking at his pedigree, I would be worried about this choice but I think I see why he is on the list.  He's done several action films that have been of relatively decent quality.  Let's just not talk about "Domino", ok?

Matt Reeves is in a really interesting position.  His new film "Let Me In" is a remake of the film "Let the Right One In".  He also directed Cloverfield and is directing the yet to be titled sequel.  The biggest thing here is that he is a writer as well as director.  He adapted the screenplay of "Let Me In" from the original.  I've seen what appears to be a draft of the script and it's not bad. 

With regards to Jonathan Liebesman, he must know something no one else does.  Granted, this is the guy who is doing the upcoming "Battle: Los Angeles" but is that going to be any good.  Even more important, this is the guy who has been tapped by Warner Brothers to helm the sequel to Clash of the Titans.  The issue here is his previous movies to his credit are "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" and "Darkness Falls".  Do I need to say more?

And last but not least, Duncan Jones is another fairly unknown variable.  His only feature to date, Moon, was well received critically and had some award nominations.  It was an indy film with a couple of big names driving it.  His second feature is the yet to be released source code.  He is also a writer.

If I had to pick from that list, my first instinct would be to go with Snyder.  Snyder will be faithful to the characters and can undoubtedly handle the scale that would be involved.  Furthermore, he is the most recognized name on the list.

Hold up, though.  That is if I went with my first instinct.  That said, I think Nolan could opt for Matt Reeves due to the success with Cloverfield.  I also suspect that "Let Me In" will do well at the box office as well.  I'd be happy with Jones, too.

Just no Tony Scott!  Please?

oh and I'm just gonna throw this out there.  Doug Jones (who voiced The Silver Surfer) as Brainiac.  I just want to see a reaction.  It occurred to me that he might be really cool to her at least do some voice tests.

Spe-Dog

I'm psyched that Nolan is involved in some form with Superman, though the rumored dark tone really has me worried.  They can set it in a dark world, but the character of Superman should remain light and upbeat.  I was thinking that the Nolans debunked the rumor of JLA movie involvment though.
"I am the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist.  I make art until somebody dies"--The Joker

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Spe-Dog on September 27, 2010, 04:01:44 AM
I'm psyched that Nolan is involved in some form with Superman, though the rumored dark tone really has me worried.  They can set it in a dark world, but the character of Superman should remain light and upbeat.  I was thinking that the Nolans debunked the rumor of JLA movie involvment though.

The JLA rumor has been debunked more or less.  As for the darker tone, Smallville is darker in tone than both the Donner films and Superman Returns.  With that in mind, there is a lot of leeway to be worked with.  The closest that the Donner Superman films got to being dark was Superman 3.

Reepicheep

I have a feeling Zack Snyder could do a good job of this, if he were to take it on. Watchmen and 300 may seem dark and uber violent, but thats more owing to the source material rather than his directorial habits. He'd be able to find a good balance between a story/character drive and memorable action scenes.

I don't really know Duncan Jones. Cloverfield was interesting and original, but I can't really see it applied to JLA. I guess he could impress me again.

BWPS

They absolutely need to have some kind of reference to this movie taking place in the same universe as the Green Lantern movie, even if it isn't setting up a JLA movie. As an overweight greasy geeknerd, I eat that stuff up like nobody's business. And I definitely feel like Marvel has been successful with doing those little winkwinknudgenudges.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: BWPS on September 28, 2010, 08:01:05 PM
They absolutely need to have some kind of reference to this movie taking place in the same universe as the Green Lantern movie, even if it isn't setting up a JLA movie. As an overweight greasy geeknerd, I eat that stuff up like nobody's business. And I definitely feel like Marvel has been successful with doing those little winkwinknudgenudges.

I disagree that anything of that nature is needed.  They need to first fix the mess that was Superman Returns.   And the man doing that will apparently be... Zack Snyder.   

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEoAHwkMAZ46rx

He is apparently getting to it right after he is done with Sucker Punch.

Midnite

Zack Snyder To Direct "Superman"

Hmmm... I'm concerned with the writing and overall interpretation of the character and universe they go for.

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: Midnite on October 05, 2010, 03:04:06 AM
Zack Snyder To Direct "Superman"

Hmmm... I'm concerned with the writing and overall interpretation of the character and universe they go for.

After reading this:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a280279/snyder-reveals-superman-reboot-details.html

I am not worried all that much as much as I am curious. 

This article though...
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/04/lets-cast-the-new-superman-movie/  has me a bit more worried.

As for the writing... I'm not worried about the writing.  The Nolans do quality work.

And as I said earlier, Snyder has proven that he can handle comic book material.

steamteck

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 05, 2010, 03:26:16 AM
[http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/04/lets-cast-the-new-superman-movie/  has me a bit more worried.

As for the writing... I'm not worried about the writing.  The Nolans do quality work.

And as I said earlier, Snyder has proven that he can handle comic book material.

Actually Goyer seems to have a hand in the writing also. I'm starting to feel more comfortable. He hasn't dissappointed me as crushingly as the Nolans have. Snyder probably means it won't be ponderous and we may actualy have worthy aversaries for Superman.

BentonGrey

General Zod?  Ehh, I'd much prefer they use a villain that hasn't been used yet...I'd really like to see Brainiac.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: steamteck on October 05, 2010, 12:55:13 PM
Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 05, 2010, 03:26:16 AM
[http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/04/lets-cast-the-new-superman-movie/  has me a bit more worried.

Actually Goyer seems to have a hand in the writing also. I'm starting to feel more comfortable. He hasn't dissappointed me as crushingly as the Nolans have. Snyder probably means it won't be ponderous and we may actualy have worthy aversaries for Superman. 

I see where the Nolans have been a disappointment on anything.  then again... I tend to enjoy their style of work.

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 05, 2010, 03:04:41 PM
General Zod?  Ehh, I'd much prefer they use a villain that hasn't been used yet...I'd really like to see Brainiac.

I'd love to see Braniac.  And maybe we will.  It would be interesting to see Zod and Brainiac in the same movie. 

BentonGrey

Hmm....well, I would certainly be happy to see that if they could come up with a good story to drive such a meeting (and given their shared Kryptonian history, it shouldn't be too hard). 
God Bless

BWPS

Having the Nolan's so much as looking at it is like a golden touch. I feel like Christopher Nolan is the greatest filmmaker of all time.
I also liked Superman Returns a lot (except Lois - with ZERO sass?!), but the series does need a reboot. I agree with sentiments that Clark needs more personality and muscles than Brandon Routh had. He had those problems with being detached from humanity that people who don't know anything about Superman always bring up along with saying "he's too powerful!" which is ridiculous on many levels. But that's a script problem, and he looked the part and he's cool.
Tom Welling is the best live action Superman ever and he isn't even really Superman. Casting him might be a mistake from a financial viewpoint, though I'd love to see it.
Zack Snyder is to be blamed for most of the Watchmen movie's major problems. I don't think he's incapable of making a good movie, but 300 is the only one he's done yet and that was a straight action movie.
I really hope they don't bother sticking to the comics beyond the origins and main characters. Superman's comic book history is so convoluted and ridiculous, they're better off just making up something new (or going to the animated series). I mean, it is a reboot.

steamteck

Wow! No offense BWPS but I disagree with almost everything you said. Although with the animated series continuety would certainly make me and Benton happy.

mr Hamrick, I'm one of the few people who loved batman Begins but hated Dark Knight so much it used all good will Batman Begins gave him for me. My wife agrees with me, so I guess we're good for each other .

BentonGrey

Quote from: steamteck on October 06, 2010, 03:26:09 AM
Wow! No offense BWPS but I disagree with almost everything you said. Although with the animated series continuety would certainly make me and Benton happy.

mr Hamrick, I'm one of the few people who loved batman Begins but hated Dark Knight so much it used all good will Batman Begins gave him for me. My wife agrees with me, so I guess we're good for each other .

Ditto, although my wife was probably creeped out by Heath Ledger's Joker as much as all of her other problems combined...she has a problem with mouth noises. :P

I do agree that going with Superman: TAS continuity (or some approximation thereof) wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.
God Bless

Figure Fan

I think it could be a good movie. Watchmen was pretty comic book-y, and I thought Snyder did really well with the task. If they can make a Superman movie worth watching, then I'll be impressed.

cmdrkoenig67

Was Singer's Superman movie all dark, mopey and morose?  I've only seen a part of it (near the end)...I found myself really turned off by what I saw, though.

For villains: I think they should go for Brainiac too or maybe Metallo?  Not that I'm a Superman fan or anything...I just enjoy seeing superhero movies once in a while.

Dana

Mr. Hamrick

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on October 07, 2010, 01:22:19 AM
Was Singer's Superman movie all dark, mopey and morose?  I've only seen a part of it (near the end)...I found myself really turned off by what I saw, though.

For villains: I think they should go for Brainiac too or maybe Metallo?  Not that I'm a Superman fan or anything...I just enjoy seeing superhero movies once in a while.

Dana

It was pretty bad.    The effects were great but the only good scenes were Kevin Spacey's Luthor scenes.   The material at The Daily Planet was beyond awful. 

steamteck

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on October 07, 2010, 03:39:16 AM
[
It was pretty bad.    The effects were great but the only good scenes were Kevin Spacey's Luthor scenes.   The material at The Daily Planet was beyond awful.  

The only really good scene was the plane rescue IMO.  The mini gun scene wasn't bad either. As far as drama/ memorable acting  the movie was just out of luck. Kevin Spacey did OK with a really poor version of Luthor I suppose. At least he managed to be more menacing and a little less of a buffon than Gene  Hackmaneven if he was a pathetic shadow of any real Luthor.