Smallville season 9 ***SPOILERS***

Started by Midnite, August 19, 2009, 04:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

My understanding is that we'll see flashbacks of the original team, so whether all of them will be present day or not has yet to be determined.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Midnite

SMALLVILLE Absolute Justice PROMO!
I can't wait.  :banghead:

Source link
QuoteProducers are still working out the exact timing of Martha's reappearance, but a Smallville insider tells me it'll most likely fall during May sweeps. That same source hints that the mother-son reunion will be rocked by an "unexpected surprise" or two. O'Toole last appeared in season 6 when Martha moved to Washington to become a U.S. senator.

Also here are some spoilers of Pam Grier as Amanda Waller

Cry Havoc

God I love Erica Durance...perfect Lois IMO. :D

Midnite

Dr. Fate/Hawkman/Stargirl in action.

Pic of Waller and Dr. Fate
:spoiler:
Spoiler

herodad1

ok, ive bought the first 6 seasons of smallville and due to cost and weird work hours ive totally lost track of seasons 7 & 8. how is martian manhunter portraid in this series. power wise and why is he holding guns in this picture of him getting blasted by dr fate?

catwhowalksbyhimself

They haven't been too explicit power wise so far, but here's what we know so far--

Spoiler

He's been show to turn invisible, attack by phasing through an opponent too invulnerable for Clark to even hurt, apparently shape shift, use telepathy to enter Clark's mind to help fight a telepathic parasite, and is very much vulnerable to fire.  He doesn't seem to have much in the way of invulnerability, as an alien possessing a little kid rather easily reached his chest and plucked out his heart, but can survive extreme damage such as that--he actually walked and flew around for some time with a gaping hole in his chest from that particular incident without showing any real effects.  He also has some sort of regeneration, although not in Earth's atmosphere.  He's shown using a gun because he lost all his powers when he flew Clark into the sun to restore him from near death.  MM is currently working as a police detective and informant for the super heroes.

Cry Havoc

Spoiler
Yeah J'onn J'onzz was too cool for school when he was introduced in the series, especially in the ways he helped Clark defeat all the Zoners (escapees from The Phantom Zone)

Cry Havoc

I'm a huge fan of Bart(Impulse), and Oliver queen as well  :thumbup:

Midnite

Screenshots of the Complete Absolute Justice Trailer

Spoiler

Complete Absolute Justice Trailer

Midnite

Midnite

A little reminder tonight, 1 1/2 hrs to go.  :thumbup:

Tomato

Quote from: Midnite on February 05, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
A little reminder tonight, 1 1/2 hrs to go.  :thumbup:

Unless your tv is down due to the DC snowstorm >.<

crimsonquill

Quote from: Tomato on February 06, 2010, 12:06:00 AM
Quote from: Midnite on February 05, 2010, 11:21:31 PM
A little reminder tonight, 1 1/2 hrs to go.  :thumbup:

Unless your tv is down due to the DC snowstorm >.<

Yup.. same here. Thankfully a friend of mine is recording it on DVD and coming over later tonight.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Tomato

NM, back up. we checked the dish, it was covered with snow

crimsonquill

Quote from: Tomato on February 06, 2010, 12:58:53 AM
NM, back up. we checked the dish, it was covered with snow

Same here.. a little work with a broom and ours was fixed too. Gotta keep reminding myself about checking the dish before I begin to panic.. heh..

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Midnite

captmorgan72

Wow, really loved this two hour special. Lots of great scenes.
Spoiler
Really loved Dr. Fate's vision of Superman's flapping cape. Come on Tom put on the damn costume already.

RTTingle

Quote from: Midnite on February 06, 2010, 08:30:57 AM
J'onn J'onzz true form.
Spoiler

Is it just me.... or does anyone else think they used Glitch Girls Egyptian FX pack?  ;)

catwhowalksbyhimself

Somehow my original reply disappeared, for no apparent reason.  Computers.

Anyhow, I thought it was quite well done and while I thought of it as an independent story, the addition of Amanda Waller and Checkmate could have interesting implications for the overall plot of the show as well as some interesting hints toward the end, namely

Spoiler
The some kind of apocalyptic event is coming for which Amanda needs both generations of heroes.  Somehow I get the feeling this might be more than just Zod and his minions.

Also loved all the nods toward the comics and am very glad that

Spoiler
MM has his powers back.  This ep also establishes that superspeed is among his powers.  The fx for intangibility were pretty well done too.

Xorn

This was an awesome episode all around. Something like this should really be made as a real DC superhero movie...
99 red balloons floating in the summer sky
Panic bells, it's RED ALERT
There's something here from somewhere else
The WAR machine springs to life
Opens up one eager EYE
While 99 red balloons go by.

Mr. Hamrick

For all that I loved about the show, two things buggered me to no end.  And one of them something I am surprised that RT didn't hark on.

Spoiler
Why kill off Wesley Dodd?  Couldn't there have been some other scenes with him as Sandman?

the other...

Spoiler
Hawkman reminded me a great deal of Chris Benoit with the beard and hairstyle.  Plus the way they had him talking.  The voice and all.  Very surreal and a bit disturbing.  I doubt it was intentional but whoah!  For those who don't know Chris Benoit was the WWE wrestler who killed his family and himself.  He lived here in Atlanta but was originally from Canada.  I looked it up and both the actor (Michael Shanks) and Chris Benoit were both from Canada.  Shanks is from Vancouver and Benoit was born in Quebec but was billed from Calgary.

and one thing I am pondering

Spoiler
Will we be seeing more from these other heroes?  The way Amanda Waller was talking, these heroes are going to be in future episodes.  This means we will at least be seeing Alan Scott and Jay Garrick.  I wouldn't be surprised to see to some other DC Heroes too that have not been seen on the show.

bredon7777

I quite liked this, and other than one thing they really didn't mess with continuity in a way that got on my nerves too badly.

The one thing:
Spoiler

Squishing Sylvester Pemberton and Ted Knight together got on my nerves.  I can see why they did it, but I don't think it would've been that much more difficult to have the Knights included.

I thought Hawkman was letter perfect, Stargirl was very good, and Doctor Fate was ok, though I didn't really care for what they did to poor Kent Nelson.

As for the ending
Spoiler

Am I the only one who thought Waller was talking about Apokolips? Certainly, Darkseid would require an impressive number of heroes and/or villians to defeat him.

Short review: If Smallville was more like THIS every week, rather than the "Whiny Clark and his lame friends" show, I'd go back to watching it on a regular basis.
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman

herodad1

i liked the episode but the ice guy was a lame villian for a team of heroes.dunno, guess he was ok. my gripe is dr fate being killed. with his power he could have sensed the ice cube and zapped him.he cant sense his own fate but he can everyone elses.bring in wildcat!

captmorgan72

Quote from: herodad1 on February 07, 2010, 02:37:06 PM
i liked the episode but the ice guy was a lame villian for a team of heroes.dunno, guess he was ok. my gripe is dr fate being killed. with his power he could have sensed the ice cube and zapped him.he cant sense his own fate but he can everyone elses.bring in wildcat!

I agree that this ice guy was very lame. He shouldn't have been a problem for the guys he was fighting. Sandman should have been able to take him out himself. Fate getting killed made as much sense as MM still looking human after he lost his powers awhile back. I guess he kept shapeshifting and lost everything else. :rolleyes:

herodad1

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI guess he kept shapeshifting and lost everything else. rolleyes

Didn't bother me.  I figured he just got locked into the shape he was currently in, which was his human look.

RTTingle

Quote from: Mr. Hamrick on February 07, 2010, 12:50:39 AM
And one of them something I am surprised that RT didn't hark on.

First,
Spoiler
because he is deceased in the comics.
Second, the story was about 1st generation characters passing the torch to next generation characters -
Spoiler
death is expected.
Third, just SEEING Sandman done so well, for as brief as it was, was enough for me.  Fourth, there is always Sandy as Sandman II.

Finally, I'm hoping the ratings were so through the roof --- we see more of the JSA and dare I say it --- I want a spin off.... NOW!

Only watched Smallville once before, the Krypto episode.  I found it amusing, decent and not insulting --- unlike I expected.  However I've read so much about it, I just was never interested to stick with it.  I wouldn't mind see more of it, if the quality keeps up with this episode.

I have a few complaints, but honestly... they're so minor, I just didn't care.  This is something I thought I'd NEVER see.  Seeing these characters in LIVE ACTION done so well... I just enjoyed myself all the way through it.  So much, yet so little... definitely made me want more.  I hope CW delivers.

RTT

catwhowalksbyhimself

It looks like the ratings were nearly twice normal for Smallville on Friday, and Smallville is already their highest rated Friday show ever, I believe. It's still pretty small ratings compared to some of the shows, but very, very good for CW.

Trelau

I would get too exited with the rating...they made a pretty agressive marketign campaign for that episode (preview video, preview photo, interview everywhere on the web...)
it was their biggest episode so far, maybe just behind the serie's premiere.
so the real questions are:
_will the rating still be slightly up next week? (meaning: did they gain new audience)
_were advertiser willing to pay more for the commercial break of this episode?
_if yes, does this increase in incomes cover the costs of the marketing campaign?
_does the good performance of this week allow for a permanent increase in their commercial break value?

but money's talk aside, that very well might be the beast smallville episode ever done.
there is minor complaint of course (weak villain, not enough time to see star spangled kid and sandman in action before they were killed, the wings of hawkman,etc) et some bigger one (not flash, no green lantern, no wildcat...they even mention hourman without showing him...i know too much character would have been impossible, but still) but the episode has a really good story, some descent acting performance (am i the only one who thinks the guest star were better than the regular cast? dr fate and martian manhunter are so more believable/enjoyable than boring-one-expression clark and i-get-it-you're-a-b*tch lois) and a real respect for the original material. They already did it with the Legion episode, but i think this one is even better (but twice longer too, so probably easier too make it work as a real story)

I do have one question: were was the league? the all point of the episode was that they only assemble in time of crisis instead of learning to live with each other. I was actually expecting aquaman, canary and even zatanna to show up, to have the league battle ice-guy and loose because not enough practice/organisation and have the JSA show them how it's done to finally go with a full league/JSA team up working in perfect coordination to defeat the bad guy. I know it's been done a million time in comics, but damn would have i liked to see it in live-action.... So what's the deal? Guests weren't available? Were asking for too much money? Just don't want to come back to this show? that's my only real regret with this episode, the lack of JLA to contrast with the JSA.

catwhowalksbyhimself

You actually had exactly three from each team featured in the episode.  The point, repeatedly made is that both teams needed a reason to get together.  The JLA, as Clark repeatedly says, isn't really a team yet, and the JSA has dispersed and needs to be regathered.  This is just the start of both happening.

As for Zatanna, she's featured next episode.

Also note that both this and the Legion episode were written by guest comic book writer Geoff Johns.  I'd say he knows the comics pretty well, having written quite a few of them.