News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

TRON LEGACY

Started by docdelorean88, April 20, 2009, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnkoMan

I'll defend Speed Racer a little bit more, for kicks. Yes, this movie was ALL ABOUT THE VISUALS. But so what? It's Speed Racer. Not exactly Shakespear, you know?

Speed Racer races races. The bad guy racers use dirty tricks. Spritle and Chim Chim get into trouble or get kidnapped or hide in the trunk or do something goofy. Is Racer X his brother?! Yes! Wait, no! Okay, yes, he totally is. Speed wins the race!!!!! The end.

If you have those key points what more do you need?

Tron's the same. It's not suppose to be some fantastic story, leaving you with so many emotions. Guy is trapped in video game. Sweet. This is basically the jist of it. Granted, I know, I know. You can do these simple rundowns for anything. I'm just saying these sorts of movies are just about visual fun. From a cinematic standpoint they are lovely. From an entertainment standpoint they are lively and not boring. Royal Tenenbaums it ain't, but that doesn't mean it won't be entertaining.

But heck, I enjoyed watching X-Men 3, so what do I know? (C'mon! It had the Juggernaut!!!)

JeyNyce

Just for the record, I like Speed Racer.  It's a great movie to show off your HDTV.

As for Tron, I'm not totally excited for it, but I'm glad that they continue with the story.  I'm betting they would want to make this a series of movies like Pirates.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

docdelorean88

I wont go into any spoilers at the moment(specifically because i am far too tired), but that movie was epic! I really really am impressed how well made this was, from the story to the effects, it fell into place very well. Do i have some nerd things that i would have changed...of course, but all things considered this movie gets the green light from this guy. :)
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BWPS

I second that emotion. The story is really interesting. I really loved it and I hated X-Men 3.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

BlueBard

Wait... it's in the theatres?

Man, I knew I was out of touch but I didn't realize I was that far out.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

crimsonquill

Quote from: BlueBard on December 17, 2010, 08:19:34 PM
Wait... it's in the theatres?

Man, I knew I was out of touch but I didn't realize I was that far out.

It was released at midnight last night and so far already has started climbing up the charts for a big release weekend..

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

docdelorean88

Hmmm... The fact that it has a large cast of big names, including the return of Bruce Boxleitner as Tron, could be a good sign...or maybe not.
http://blog.moviefone.com/2010/11/05/tron-uprising/
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Tomato

I saw it today... overall, I enjoyed it. I had worried that it would be incredibly hard to watch with the addition of the 3d element (I've had some difficulties watching the original tron, to be honest) but if anything I had an easier time with the sequel then the original.

That said, I think the one thing that probably hurt the movie, more than anything else, was the ego of one of the original "Tron" actors, Jeff Bridges. I don't want to go into it too much for fear of spoilers, but let's just say I feel like his ego was so needlessly laced within the story of the film I am surprised Tron himself even showed up at all.

That said though, the film was very good, and I highly recommend it. The story is quite interesting, the graphics were superb, and there's enough cool action sequences in it to make up for whatever issues I had with it.

GogglesPizanno

Quote from: Tomato on December 20, 2010, 12:16:21 AM
That said though, the film was very good, and I highly recommend it. The story is quite interesting, the graphics were superb, and there's enough cool action sequences in it to make up for whatever issues I had with it.

Reverse that 180 degrees and I'd agree  :D

It really was worse than i feared.
The plot alternates between meandering and senseless.
The writing is at best lazy and at worst, nonsensical. It introduces plot points and character traits as needed on the fly often ignoring or changing stuff that had come before it. Now this wouldn't be as bad if the visuals had upped the ante and made for something exciting and compelling to look at.

Nope.

The action scenes are fairly mundane -- Shiny and bright but just kinda "meh." And for an action movie its a LOT of talking heads and exposition (though I did like the updates they did on the light cycle grid). And while visually it initially looks cool, they do nothing to up the visuals as the movie progresses. Once you've seen the grid in the first 30 minutes... you've basically seen it. By the end all the glass, chrome, mirrors and neon just were kinda there, and any kind of visual "wow" factor was long gone.

There are moments that hint at something better, and every once in a while it looks like it might go somewhere, but ultimately the failure of it (and the horrible screenplay) to really connect or make sense in any kind of way leads to a pretty bad film.

Some Random Spoilery Thoughts:
Spoiler

- If Flynn's Disk is so important and protected at all costs, why when its stolen does the focus become "Whoops" Lets just beat him there, get out and turn off the computer. And doesn't turning off the computer sorta basically mean a form of Genocide of the grid, which kinda nullifies Flynn's whole Zen Dude-like thing? OK Also, why does he even need the disk when he's out and about? Its not like its tied to any vital life functions or anything. Stick the damn thing in a safe!

- Why does every "shocking" reveal have to be someone who was wearing a helmet, take it off. The worst being Trons "official" (if you can even call it that) reveal. Its like that whole idea was added in post production cause we get a Voice Over of a helmeted guy and Boom hes Tron... Huh? Its like its not even a reveal at all.

- If CLU sent the page to get Flynn's son (I cant even be bothered to remember his name), why send it to Alan. And why wasn't he waiting at the "Grid version" of the arcade for him. And why when he did finally realize it was him, did he try and kill him? That's like going to the store to get cheese for a mouse trap, eating the cheese and never telling the mouse. Worst plan ever. Not to mention the portal was only open for 8 hours... that means hes in the same boat as Flynn is. Why have such a stupid complicated flawed and lazy plan when your window of opportunity is a one time only 8 hours?

- If Flynn can go all Matrix/Neo in the grid, why didn't he do it before?

- If hes got some bad arse off-road light vehicle, why doesn't Clu (Sorry boss, we'd chase him, but he has dirt tires...). More importantly, Hes got all manner of flying vehicles, just follow it.

- If they set up Flynn's old school light cycle to be the fastest thing on the grid, why just give it to a bum 30 seconds later? Oh right so they could follow its vapor trail or something.