I'm a Twilight... and I'm a True Blood

Started by BlueBard, July 15, 2010, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

STO/CO: @bluegeek

ow_tiobe_sb

*snicker* My spouse (who is a scholar of vampire literature and visual media) recently forced me to sit/squirm through New Moon, so I actually (and regrettably) understood most of the references made in that clip.

For her upcoming birthday, she will be receiving a four-pack of the Tru:Blood beverage, so I suppose, for the record, we're True Bloods.

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Whirled Braker
Two words: Moog.

BentonGrey

If your wife is a scholar of vampire literature, how can she suffer through something so incredibly derivative and terrible? :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 15, 2010, 06:13:58 PM
If your wife is a scholar of vampire literature, how can she suffer through something so incredibly derivative and terrible? :D

Come now, Benton.  Certainly you must understand that literary scholars make their living recuperating "derivative and terrible" works by writing derivative articles about them. ;)

What can I say?  Her scope is comprehensive, and her eye catches both apples and motes. :)  For me, give me some Le Fanu--any Le Fanu, not just "Carmilla"--and I'm satisfied.

ow_tiobe_sb

BentonGrey

Haha, true enough, true enough.  In this day and age, when literary value is determined almost entirely on how clever you can be with your narrative, rather than on any value of the work itself, I suppose one can't be too picky.  Did I ever tell you about the conference I went to that had a panel dedicated to why Twilight was terrible? 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

deano_ue

ahh twilight, a girls choice between necrophilia and bestiality

BentonGrey

God Bless

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 15, 2010, 06:29:18 PM
Did I ever tell you about the conference I went to that had a panel dedicated to why Twilight was terrible?  

I'm guessing the title of that panel was "Preaching to the Choir."  To be fair, the only advantage that the "Southern Vampire Mysteries" by Charlaine Harris have over Stephenie Meyer's "The Twilight Saga" is a refreshing mixture of southern humour and postmodernist wit.  Otherwise, the source material for True Blood suffers from the same vices shared by Victorian sensation novels.  Even Bram Stoker's Dracula (the original novel, not the Francis Ford Coppola travesty, which even Gary Oldman's masterful performance could not redeem) was considered a potboiler, mere steps away from the quality of the penny dreadfuls, at the time of its publication.  Post-colonialist readers, who represent many of the critical voices currently attempting to regard Dracula in a better light, are forced to admit that every word that Stoker put in Abraham van Helsing's mouth is melodramatically effusive enough to vie with any angst-drenched whispers exchanged by Bella and Edward.  :o

ow_tiobe_sb

murs47

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on July 15, 2010, 07:20:05 PM
ahh twilight, a girls choice between necrophilia and bestiality

This is why I like you. :lol: